18 year Macallan in Spectre.

Thanks to a small glimpse in the Spectre teaser, we now know Bond likes having some 18 year Macallan at his London flat. I picked up some recently and have to say its my favorite tasting year of the Macallan, having also tried the 10,12,and 15.
11037761_10155521715410089_8391034839763423518_n.jpg

Comments

• MrZarebaMrZareba Krakow, PolandPosts: 1,775MI6 Agent
    A lot of people are recommending the 18 YO. I drunk it when I was completely drunk (lol!) so I don't remember the taste unfortunately :/ All I know it's worth it's price, unlike the 10 YO Macallan which a lot of reviews are not recommending!
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    I own a bottle of the 10 year but only tried it once so im not the best to judge on its taste, I've had the 12 year the most since its standard at any decently stocked bar.
  • MFisherMFisher Posts: 746MI6 Agent
    After Skyfall I branched out and started picking up Macallan to try something different.. ( I have been a bourbon drinker for years).. The scotch piqued my interest and after really liking the Macallan I branched out a step further and tried the Talisker from DAD and TWINE.. If you haven't tried the Talisker give it a shot too.. Its just a tad more pricey than the Macallan 12 but worth it..
    MFisher wrote:
    After Skyfall I branched out and started picking up Macallan to try something different.. ( I have been a bourbon drinker for years).. The scotch piqued my interest and after really liking the Macallan I branched out a step further and tried the Talisker from DAD and TWINE.. If you haven't tried the Talisker give it a shot too.. Its just a tad more pricey than the Macallan 12 but worth it..
    I have had Talisker on a few occasions, I find it has a much rougher taste then the Macallans, goes down harder too.
  • LlafyksLlafyks Posts: 237MI6 Agent
    MFisher wrote:
    I have had Talisker on a few occasions, I find it has a much rougher taste then the Macallans, goes down harder too.

Both excellent whiskys, the Macallan (either fine oak or the sherry oak cask) is very smooth and a lovely tipple. The Talisker being a more peaty whisky might seem 'rougher' but it's all down to personal preference and taste. The 18yr olds are expensive, wish I could go there, but the 12yr is top notch and the 10yr is also a nice dram.
    I like both and had a nice birthday present of the Talisker gift set with the round bottom 'rocking' tumblers. I love the peaty Islay whiskys; Caol Ila and Bowmore are two of my favourites
  • PaperbillPaperbill FloridaPosts: 810MI6 Agent
    Llafyks wrote:
    MFisher wrote:

Both excellent whiskys, the Macallan (either fine oak or the sherry oak cask) is very smooth and a lovely tipple. The Talisker being a more peaty whisky might seem 'rougher' but it's all down to personal preference and taste. The 18yr olds are expensive, wish I could go there, but the 12yr is top notch and the 10yr is also a nice dram.
    I like both and had a nice birthday present of the Talisker gift set with the round bottom 'rocking' tumblers. I love the peaty Islay whiskys; Caol Ila and Bowmore are two of my favourites

I love peaty scotch too. Try Ledag from the isle of Mull if you get a chance
    on a related note, anyone ever identify the year of Macallan Bond drinks at M's flat? I always thought it was the 12 year but apparently its another 10 year?
  • RedDawn289RedDawn289 Posts: 146MI6 Agent
    Does anyone know the difference between the Macallan 10, 12, 15, 18 and the Macallan gold, sienna, amber, ruby? My provincial liquor store in Ontario, Canada only seems to see these and not the aged Macallan. Below is a link to the Macallan search at my LCBO Liquor Control Board of Ontario.

http://www.lcbo.ca/lcbo/search?searchTerm=Macallan
  • Enjoying DeathEnjoying Death Toronto, ON CANADAPosts: 1,231MI6 Agent
    edited January 2016
    RedDawn289 wrote:
    Does anyone know the difference between the Macallan 10, 12, 15, 18 and the Macallan gold, sienna, amber, ruby? My provincial liquor store in Ontario, Canada only seems to see these and not the aged Macallan. Below is a link to the Macallan search at my LCBO Liquor Control Board of Ontario.

I live in Toronto so I know your pain.

This should help explain the 1824 Series and other NAS offerings;

http://marketwatchmag.com/single-malt-scotch-october-2014/

http://news.nationalpost.com/life/food-drink/drink-em-while-you-got-em-its-last-call-for-the-old-whiskies-a-victim-of-their-own-success

From what I've read The Macallan and many other distillers are going with NAS whisky because they are running out of whisky due to the increased demand over the past 10-15 years. They never put down enough stock back in the 80's because demand was low then.

You can still buy the 12, 18 year old Macallan in the States...for now.
    Pussy Galore: “My name is Pussy Galore.”
    Bond: “I must be dreaming.”
  • canoe2canoe2 Posts: 2,007MI6 Agent
    edited January 2016
    RedDawn289 wrote:

Hi
    I actually went to the Latin American launch of the Macallan 1824 line (the Ruby, Amber, etc) late last year. They are not disclosing the years on these because they are a blend of Macallan's own single malts (i.e. a mix of their whiskys from different batches). But they are insisting the minimum age in the blend is 10 years, for what it's worth.

Personally, I wasn't crazy about them, but I'm more of an Islay guy than a Speyside guy. I found them very perfumey and overly complicated. The Ruby in particular is very sweet, I thought. But other people I was with seemed to enjoy them. Hope that helps!

Edit: Should probably note that I liked the Sienna the best, but not enough to buy it. I'd rather spend $70 to $80 on a Talisker or Laphroaig
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    I quite like Talisker Storm but haven't been particularly fond of any of the Macallan NOS offerings that I have tried. As for the LCBO, I was in the Summerhill store just before Christmas and they had one bottle of 18 year old Macallan, believe it or not. Asking price? Something like $3500 I seem to recall.

Incidentally, the LCBO will get anything you want. The only catch is you have to order a minimum of 12 bottles and according to their website "...the final cost per bottle of the product will be approximately three to four times higher than the retail price in the country of origin after application of exchange rates, LCBO mark up, freight, taxes and duty."
  • Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,091MI6 Agent
    ...they had one bottle of 18 year old Macallan, believe it or not. Asking price? Something like $3500 I seem to recall.

What?!? :o :o :o

That can't be right. Here in the US I can buy it at my local liquor store for US$255 (CAN$360).
  • rebentonrebenton Birmingham ALPosts: 276MI6 Agent
    ...they had one bottle of 18 year old Macallan, believe it or not. Asking price? Something like $3500 I seem to recall.

That can't be right. Here in the US I can buy it at my local liquor store for US$255 (CAN$360).

That sounds more like the price of the MacCallan 25, which if you were wondering I don't find to be that much better than the 18.
  • Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,091MI6 Agent
    rebenton wrote:

That sounds more like the price of the MacCallan 25, which if you were wondering I don't find to be that much better than the 18.

Around here that's more the Macallen 30 price, if you could find it. Never had it or the 25.
    canoe2 wrote:
    RedDawn289 wrote:

Hi
    I actually went to the Latin American launch of the Macallan 1824 line (the Ruby, Amber, etc) late last year. They are not disclosing the years on these because they are a blend of Macallan's own single malts (i.e. a mix of their whiskys from different batches). But they are insisting the minimum age in the blend is 10 years, for what it's worth.

Personally, I wasn't crazy about them, but I'm more of an Islay guy than a Speyside guy. I found them very perfumey and overly complicated. The Ruby in particular is very sweet, I thought. But other people I was with seemed to enjoy them. Hope that helps!

Edit: Should probably note that I liked the Sienna the best, but not enough to buy it. I'd rather spend $70 to $80 on a Talisker or Laphroaig

Great to see someone from my neck of the woods! Where in Toronto are you from? I'm in Milton.

Pardon my ignorance but I am new to the world of single malts, Islay and Speyside?
    I know Milton well, but I don't live in Canada anymore; that was another member. However, I do know the crazy price for alcohol back home!

Islay and Speyside are different whisky producing regions in Scotland. Each region has its own distinctive style and taste. For example, the Island whiskys (Islay and Skye mainly) tend to be stronger earthy flavors (peat, smoke, salt), while whiskys from Speyside tend to be more floral and sweet. A lot has to do with the barrels the whisky is aged in (Sherry casks, bourbon casks); the whisky absorbs the flavor of the other alcohol from the wood of the cask as it ages.

Here's a link for info on the Scottish regions: http://www.maltmadness.com/whisky/scotland.html

This is a good site for general information about whisky:https://distiller.com/

Enjoy!
  • BOFFERBOFFER Posts: 331MI6 Agent
    You seem to know a lot about the Scottish isles considering you are from Guatemala ?
    BOFFER wrote:
    You seem to know a lot about the Scottish isles considering you are from Guatemala ?
    Originally from Canada, Scottish parents. I just live in Guate. And I really like whisky ... {[]
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    A man's got to have a hobby. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Since starting this thread my palate of Whiskey has greatly expanded, in August I was in Scotland and while at a bar with two fellow AJBer's we had Macallan 25yr, 1968, 1965 and 1950. the Macallan 1965 was our favorite of the bunch.
  • BOFFERBOFFER Posts: 331MI6 Agent
    Good man canoe2. The isles had a bit of a shocker the other year where the sunshine came, stayed and wouldn't leave, in fact it was warmer up there than it was in the south west of the UK where the sun generally lives. As a result a few of the isles water source dried up affecting supply so tastes went a little out that year but other than that I think you have it pretty much correct. If you ever get the chance to get to Edinburgh there is a great whisky tour allowing you some insider knowledge and of course a tasting extravaganza. Good luck in your continued tasting.
  • MrZarebaMrZareba Krakow, PolandPosts: 1,775MI6 Agent
    Since we're talking about this - please notice that there is an ice container (no idea how to call that huge glass in which you keep ice) on Bond's coffee table in his apartment, which is surprising basing on the fact that Bond was always drinking his whisky neat.
  • Vesper007Vesper007 Enjoying Death,Country EnglandPosts: 45MI6 Agent
    I quite like the Macallan 12 in the sherry cask. Reasonable price.

But 18 year old Highland Park - now we are talking . :)
    "007 Reporting for Duty"
  • IanTIanT Posts: 573MI6 Agent
    I also like a Macallan 12. I went to have a look at the Macallan 64 in Harrods. A tad pricey!!!!!

I also enjoy Old Granddad bourbon which, for a Kentucky bourbon, is very smooth and very Moorish. I'm on my second bottle in a month.
  • DB6DB6 EnglandPosts: 1,196MI6 Agent

There are many different '18 year old Macallans' - have a look here https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/b/314/macallan-single-malt-scotch-whisky?filter=true&rfdata=~brand.macallan-single-malt-scotch-whisky~age.18#productlist-filter

It depends on when they were made i.e. an 18 year old released this year will have some portion of it distilled in 1998, whereas an 18 year old released in 1998 would have a portion of it distilled in 1980; hence the huge price difference as the older '18 year olds' become much older and harder to find.

A recent 18 yo release is around £200, older ones closer to £1k.
    My name has changed! I’m no longer dufus......now I’m DB6
    But and 18 year old at half the price and twice as good
    "007 Reporting for Duty"
    All depends on taste & personal preference.
    So given that I would like to get into drinking single malts where do I start. I think it's a acquired taste that I haven't acquired as of yet. Keep in mind give my taste isn't acquired price should be put into consideration.