James Bond novels after Ian Fleming

The Wicker ManThe Wicker Man EnglandPosts: 434MI6 Agent
Recently finished reading Diamonds Are Forever (which I really enjoyed) and it got me to thinking about the Bond novels that came after Fleming.
Apologies if this question has been asked before but which of the Bond novels - not written by Fleming - would you recommend me reading?
And on the flip side to that is there any I should avoid?
Thanks -{
1.ohmss 2.cr 3.frwl 4.ltk 5.gf 6.tswlm 7.sf 8.op 9.tld 10.dn 11.lald 12.tb 13.fyeo 14.ge 15.mr 16.yolt 17.tnd 18.avtak 19.sp 20.twine 21.qos 22.tmwtgg 23.daf 24.dad

Comments

• AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Colonel Sun by Kingsley Amis is defiantly worth Reading -{ He only wrote the one Book though :(

The two Christopher Wood Novelizations based on TSWLM and MR are very good as well.

The Gardner Books start off strong, but start going down Hill after Scorpius. I would mostly recommend his first three Books -{

The Books by Raymond Benson are a mixed Bunch, some good and some bad.

I still have yet to read Devil May Care and Cart Blanche. I got halfway through Solo, but never finished it.

:)
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I agree with AOS, although I have read Solo, I found it very boring. :#
    Although could I ask why you're not reading the rest of Fleming ? :)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • The Wicker ManThe Wicker Man EnglandPosts: 434MI6 Agent
    Colonel Sun by Kingsley Amis is defiantly worth Reading -{ He only wrote the one Book though :(

The two Christopher Wood Novelizations based on TSWLM and MR are very good as well.

The Gardner Books start off strong, but start going down Hill after Scorpius. I would mostly recommend his first three Books -{

I still have yet to read Devil May Care and Cart Blanche. I got halfway through Solo, but never finished it.

Thanks for the reply -{
    I've got plenty to get my teeth into there.
    The Kingsley Amis book sounds really interesting and I will definately look into the Gardner novels as well, especially the earlier ones :)
    1.ohmss 2.cr 3.frwl 4.ltk 5.gf 6.tswlm 7.sf 8.op 9.tld 10.dn 11.lald 12.tb 13.fyeo 14.ge 15.mr 16.yolt 17.tnd 18.avtak 19.sp 20.twine 21.qos 22.tmwtgg 23.daf 24.dad
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,519Chief of Staff
    There are quite a few threads on this topic...scroll back a few pages and I'm sure you will find them -{
    YNWA 97

Thanks for the reply -{
    I've got plenty to get my teeth into there.
    The Kingsley Amis book sounds really interesting and I will definately look into the Gardner novels as well, especially the earlier ones :)

I would go through them in order -{ But it's not necessary though.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    I agree with AOS, although I have read Solo, I found it very boring. :#
    Although could I ask why you're not reading the rest of Fleming ? :)

Thanks for the reply TP -{
    It looks as though I will avoid Solo.
    I own four Fleming novels which I have yet to read. GF, TB, OHMSS and YOLT - I will be reading them next. I still have not got DN, TSWLM and TMWTGG. I have really enjoyed all the Fleming books I have read so far, especially FRWL and MR.
    Been reading a lot of Clive Cussler, Alistair Maclean and Desmond Bagley novels the last few months and I wondered if the post-Fleming Bond novels were worth adding to my ever expanding book shelf! :)
    {[] I love a bit of Clive Cussler myself. -{ Have you read " Night Probe" there's a
    Very familiar British Spy in it ( different name but obviously Bond) ;)
    I'm rereading the J Gardner Bond novels at the moment
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Inca Gold is probably the best Dirk Pit Novel -{
    {[] I love a bit of Clive Cussler myself. -{ Have you read " Night Probe" there's a
    Very familiar British Spy in it ( different name but obviously Bond) ;)
    I'm rereading the J Gardner Bond novels at the moment

I agree Cussler is lots of fun especially the Dirk Pitt novels - sort of like an American James Bond :)

Yet to read Night Probe but its on the shelf.
    Of the others I have read Pacific Vortex, Raise The Titanic, Iceberg and Sahara. I would have thought they should make a brilliant series of films but Sahara didn't seem to hit the mark - but I haven't seen it so I can't comment.
    Have you watched Sahara? Was it any good?
    Sahara was alright, it was supposed to be the first in a Series of Film Adaptations of the Pitt Novels.
    Sadly for whatever reason, Dirk Pitt has never successfully transfered to
    The big screen. :# I honestly don't know why. He's a great action character.
    As Wicker Man says, The American James Bond. :)
    Probably too many Comparisons with Bond.
    I also think his novels have too much story in them, if that doesn't sound silly. :))
    In my opinion, they're better suited to a big TV series, like an hour an a half episode
    Over three or four nights. Take Sahara for example only about one third of the book
    Made it on to screen, and many characters left out. :)
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,224Chief of Staff
    Much the same is true with Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan (another contender for American James Bond) in that only parts of the novels appear on the screen.
    Barbel wrote:
    Much the same is true with Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan (another contender for American James Bond) in that only parts of the novels appear on the screen.

If they did film the entire books they'd last a week each :))

Great books though -{
    YNWA 97
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,224Chief of Staff
    Sir Miles wrote:

If they did film the entire books they'd last a week each :))

Great books though -{

Well, that's true! :)) Big books do need cut down to make 2-hr movies.
    There are still huge chunks of Clancy that haven't been filmed and would make great films.

(In reading Clancy I can't help but picture Harrison Ford as Jack Ryan, at various ages as the series progresses over 30 years)
    I think Dan Brown, said he described his character Robert Langdon as looking like
    Harrison Ford, as if they were filmed he wanted him to play the lead. :D
    I'm waiting for an Adaptation of Rainbow Six -{ Probably one of his best Books.
    I know Zippy, Bungle and George but who are the other three ? :))
    ( only people of a certain age will get that Rainbow joke ) ;)

Rod, Jane & Freddy obviously ! :D
    YNWA 97

I know what Rainbow is ;) :))