War of the Worlds

Ammo08Ammo08 Missouri, USAPosts: 387MI6 Agent
I really wish one of the you who might know a good English director or producer would talk them into filming War of the Worlds set in circa 1900 as it's written...without force fields etc...

Hollywood has screwed it up twice now..
"I don't know if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who mean it."-Mark Twain
'Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect.'- Benny Hill (1924-1992)

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Slightly odd idea ( from me) but I always thought it would be cool for a film to
    Show an invasion of america in the 30's, and have the Wells play shown as a way of
    covering it up. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Ammo08Ammo08 Missouri, USAPosts: 387MI6 Agent
    Thunderpussy, that is an absolutely brilliant idea....
    "I don't know if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who mean it."-Mark Twain
    'Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect.'- Benny Hill (1924-1992)
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    There have been quite a few WOTW Film Adaptations over the Years (Avoid the Tom Cruise Film though) -{
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,272Chief of Staff
    Great idea for a film, TP.

Has anyone seen this movie, "The Night That Panicked America" about the Wells broadcast?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ6Ipwx86oU

It's not bad.
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    That Wells broadcast was brilliantly executed... What a talented visionary guy.

Btw - I thought the Tom Cruise version was very good. But the best has to be the Jeff Wayne musical version, which I still really enjoy, nearly 40 years on.
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
    The biggest Problem with the Cruise War Of The Worlds, is that is mainly focused on his Characters Family and there Journey across America. Yes, the Aliens had a presence, but they felt like Secondary Characters,
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    Cassette :))

But seriously, WOTF is a classic bit of Sci-fi that should not be overlooked -{
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    The biggest Problem with the Cruise War Of The Worlds, is that is mainly focused on his Characters Family and there Journey across America. Yes, the Aliens had a presence, but they felt like Secondary Characters,

I thought that was what made it so good - you could identify with the characters and then experience the effect the Martian invasion had on them...making it more personal...
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
    I would probably like it more with repeated Viewings though :)

Talking of Sc-Fi, any Jules Verne Fans here?
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    I would probably like it more with repeated Viewings though :)

Talking of Sc-Fi, any Jules Verne Fans here?

J.V count me in :)
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
    Though I've only seen still images, there was the 2005 production " The War of the Worlds, The True Story" and "The War of the Worlds The Documentary" directed by Timothy Hines and produced by Pendragon Pictures. There is a preview of it on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g0iU0kqDHI. That's as close as anyone had done to bring the novel to film as it was written. However, a Hollywood budget large release like the Cruise film done with the authenticity of the Hines film has yet to be tried and I'm afraid it would be difficult to get any of the large companies like Sony to cough up that kind of budget for such a period setting anytime in the near future.
    edited May 2015
    Along with the Cruise Film, there were two other WOTW Films released around the same Time.