London Architecture

CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
As a graphic designer and an admirer of classical art and architecture, it depresses me to no end of what is happening to the skyline of London.

I recently researched recent and new developments and was horrified to see what London is turning into...as one critic put it - the "Dubai on the Thames". I can't agree more.

Now, I'm not one of those people stuck in some time warp that would never want a major city's skyline to grow and adapt to modern times. It's a necessity and needs to be done. My gripe is with the Planning Decisions Unit of the Greater London Authority who greenlights the architectural monstrosities that are turning this once charming, sophisticated and historical city into an eclectic mix of towering eyesores that is robbing the capitol of it's character all in the name of - let's face it - the almighty coin. Little consideration is given for scale and setting, make minimal contribution to public realm or street-level experience and are designed without concern for their cumulative effect and impact.

Th planning and political systems are proving inadequate to protect the valued qualities of London, or provide a coherent and positive vision for the future skyline. The official policy is that tall buildings should be 'well designed and in the right place', yet implementation of policy is fragmented and weak.

These ugly buildings do not answer the city's housing needs, but respond to a bubble of international investment in London residential property. Over 200 tall buildings, from 20 storeys to much greater heights, are currently consented or proposed. Many of them are hugely prominent and grossly insensitive to their immediate context and appearance on the skyline.

The London mayor's spokesman said that "virtually every one" of the towers had the support of local politicians and English Heritage, adding: "The mayor needs to balance an array of challenges and competing interests across a rapidly growing city. According to New London Architecture (NLA), of the buildings being planned, 189 (80%) are intended to be residential, but do not meet London's housing needs because of their price and dimensions. Many projects are funded by foreign investors seeking a safe berth – and healthy returns – for their money amid political instability in the Middle East, Russia and elsewhere.

My wife and I plan on re-visiting London together in the near future and though we are looking forward to what we forsee as the historically rich, cultural trip we envision, it looks like we will be in for a great deal of disappointment at how this once beautiful city - so much of which was dressed up by the great Sir Christopher Michael Wren - is purging the city's design of all the great architectural influences of the past.

Thank heavens EON chose to have Bond's new flat be in a classical, historical building and not in one of the Orwellian, boxy nightmares of our current times.

Strata_008.jpg

The_Walkie_Talkie_008.jpg

Comments

• always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    HI MI6 agent ,
    if you look at your bottom picture ,the odd shaped building on the left is commonly known as the walkie talkie building ?
    its almost like the builders had the plans upside down ,when they erected it :)) ,Having said that ,I went there on Saturday for dinner, the top bit (from that dark ridge up) , contains a indoor garden or known as the sky garden , well worth a visit if you are coming over to London ,its free to get in ,but the drinks are well London prices , .We had dinner in the sea food bar grill , well worth it .
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • Ammo08Ammo08 Missouri, USAPosts: 386MI6 Agent
    What was it Prince Charles said, "One thing you can give the Luftwaffe, when they knocked something down in London they didn't replace it with something hideous." ....or something to that effect.
    "I don't know if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who mean it."-Mark Twain
    'Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect.'- Benny Hill (1924-1992)
  • CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
    HI MI6 agent ,
    if you look at your bottom picture ,the odd shaped building on the left is commonly known as the walkie talkie building ?
    its almost like the builders had the plans upside down ,when they erected it :)) ,Having said that ,I went there on Saturday for dinner, the top bit (from that dark ridge up) , contains a indoor garden or known as the sky garden , well worth a visit if you are coming over to London ,its free to get in ,but the drinks are well London prices , .We had dinner in the sea food bar grill , well worth it .

Cheers - thanks for the tip.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    If it depresses you what happens in London, you should never visit Hong Kong :D
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Ammo08 wrote:
    What was it Prince Charles said, "One thing you can give the Luftwaffe, when they knocked something down in London they didn't replace it with something hideous." ....or something to that effect.

I always loved that quote. :)
    Higgins wrote:
    If it depresses you what happens in London, you should never visit Hong Kong :D

Don't know if I'll ever make that trip. My wife's been there before I knew her and there are so many other places I want to visit or revisit and little time left to do it - we're both around sixty and not wealthy (though we live well enough and have no dependents), so tick-tock, tick tock...
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    The Luftwaffe Issue is similar to the Great Fire. It gave Residents of London the Chance to re-build but with improved Design and Updates.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    We have family in HK and are there at least once a year.

Imo the most energetic city in the world - NYC is boring in comparison
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    The Luftwaffe Issue is similar to the Great Fire. It gave Residents of London the Chance to re-build but with improved Design and Updates.

Yep ,that's two chances London got to improve the city ,and we still cocked it up X-(
    Higgins wrote:
    We have family in HK and are there at least once a year.

Imo the most energetic city in the world - NYC is boring in comparison

well I find NYC a great city (but then I havnt been to Honkers ) :)

P1040959.jpg

(smile your on AJB)
    I have promised to take the OH to NYC one Day -{ I've always wanted to travel across the States.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,709MI6 Agent
    I think it was Albert Speer, Hitler's architect himself who planned monstrous city centres with the Fuhrer, who saw a major flaw in his city planning when he got old. The huge domes, massive buildings and wide avenues may look impressive when you saw them as models from above, but people would have to live on ground level with no real streetlife. City Blocks that were only long stretches of concrete walls and straight, wide streets for the cars. No flower shops on the corner, no crooked and narrow streets for you to discover, no second-hand bookstores with a immigrant-owned cafe on the other side of the street. It would be a dead city. I think some cities run that same risk now.
    Number24 wrote:
    I think it was Albert Speer, Hitler's architect himself who planned monstrous city centres with the Fuhrer, who saw a major flaw in his city planning when he got old. The huge domes, massive buildings and wide avenues may look impressive when you saw them as models from above, but people would have to live on ground level with no real streetlife. City Blocks that were only long stretches of concrete walls and straight, wide streets for the cars. No flower shops on the corner, no crooked and narrow streets for you to discover, no second-hand bookstores with a immigrant-owned cafe on the other side of the street. It would be a dead city. I think some cities run that same risk now.

This is true. NYC could have turned out like that and though there are many wonderful old buildings being demolished and a few eyesores going up, it's stlll an astonishing metropolis to see. The lower end still has some of the old world atmosphere because of it's old buildings and neighborhoods, shops and streets combined with the 21st century of the commerce center (including the newly opened One World Trace Center). Even when going up to mid town on the avenues they are lined with many old buildings and in the spring and summer the sidewalks and center medians are cascaded with flowers. Then you have the old famous landmarks of the Empire State, Chrysler and Grand Central Terminal buildings before entering the wonderful Central Park with the grand Plaza Hotel at the doorstep. It's still full of immigrant owned restaurants (some of them quite old) and bakeries and small art galleries, bookshops, etc. Though the large chain retailers may have made some inroads into Manhattan, it's local businesses still hold their own and are very highly regarded. We would not think twice of living there if it were not for the out of reach housing and taxes as well as the brutal winters they suffer through. Still, we can still take our small jaunts there to see one of the great Broadway plays or snoop through the amazing museums or just meander through the Park.
    I second what Cmdr Atticus says :D
    P1040943.jpg

P1050097.jpg

you cant beat this :D
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent

I recently researched recent and new developments and was horrified to see what London is turning into...as one critic put it - the "Dubai on the Thames". I can't agree more.

I went to Dubai a couple of years ago and it has the most amazing buildings and skyline but not in a good way. Very superficial and futuristic. You can tell it hasn't developed organically.

Loved the place though.
    Plymouth has managed to retain a lot of it's original Design -{
    Plymouth has managed to retain a lot of it's original Design -{

is that good or bad 8-)
    Depending on if you like the City :))
    We had to go to NJ on a business trip in June and made a long weekend of it so we could see New York. Went to the top of the new One World Trade Tower - an amazing experience. Since this trip came at us without warning, we did not schedule our days and made up our itinerary on the go. We missed seeing any plays, but we did have some great dining and visited Grand Central and The Met. Though it was quite hot on one day, the rest of the time was rather balmy and about twenty degrees cooler than here in Florida. Hopefully, we'll get back there in this autumn to see the leaves.
  • GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,294MI6 Agent
    They're prolly gonna tear down Bruce Lee's H.K house now that owner is dead :(

There used to be a building next to the clock tower but H.K govt wouldn't listen to people so they tore it down.......
    Real estate developers = money trumps history and art.