Book sizes - 1st edition vs FEL

ZomanZoman Posts: 4MI6 Agent
I am a "rookie" book collector who just recently decided that I wanted to start a collection of Fleming's JB novels. I had read a few of the American published novels over time but wanted some unabridged copies to get the full Fleming flavor, and know that the U.S. versions were edited. After doing a lot of Internet research, I quickly decided I could never afford a complete set of 1st editions. I did become interested in the FEL sets, always listed as "exact replicas". I finally broke down and ordered a complete FEL set of the 14 JB novels from a bookstore in the UK. Beautiful books, dust covers and slipcases...my set even included the publisher note card, so I "think" this is an early edition...possibly a set that Easton acquired when they purchased the publishing rights.

When I opened the box that my FELs were shipped in, the books seemed small in size to me. They measure 8" x 5 3/4" in the slipcase, with the pages measuring approx 7 1/4" x 4 3/4". I was told by several FEL book "sellers" that this is the same size as the Jonathan Cape 1st editons...but would rather get that answer from some "honest brokers" such as members of this forum.

So, my question is, what size were the Cape 1st editions?

Thanks...

Comments

• welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent
    Cant help you on the sizes but welcome congrats!!

Im also after the FELs but always time it wrong, seen them go from low to very high prices!
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    Well, I just measured one of my Jonathan Cape 1sts and it was 19cm x 13cm on the frontcover, with the pages slightly smaller. That's about 7.5" x 5.2".... I think.
    A different book was 19.5cm (just over 7.5") for the height of the cover. Still 13cm (5.2") wide.

(First book I checked was OHMSS, the second FYEO)
  • ZomanZoman Posts: 4MI6 Agent
    Thanks, Barbel!! Both for your quick response and going to the trouble of measuring one of your 1st's. That makes me feel a lot better. Do you know if it was common for books published in the UK in the 50's - 60's to be this size? Most of the U.S. Published books on my bookcase measure 9" or better. In this case, "size doesn't matter"...I guess...but was just wondering for my own curiosity.
    Yes, that would be a normal size for the times.
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
    As Barbel says, the books you have are the correct size and they are very accurate high quality representations of the Fleming First Editions.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • ZomanZoman Posts: 4MI6 Agent
    10-4....Thanks guys!!!
    You're welcome, Zoman. Please, stick around a while and enjoy our site.