Is Man from UNCLE making EON Nervous?

perdoggperdogg Posts: 432MI6 Agent
Is Man from UNCLE making EON Nervous? Considering that Cavill has been mentioned as a possible James Bond and essentially, this movie will be a sort of retro-Bond, Glenurquhart check suit and all. Also, I notice that UNCLE is a Summer release as opposed to the Mid Fall Pre-Thanksgiving US release.
"And if I told you that I'm from the Ministry of Defence?" James Bond - The Property of a Lady

Comments

• Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    perdogg wrote:
    Is Man from UNCLE making EON Nervous? Considering that Cavill has been mentioned as a possible James Bond and essentially, this movie will be a sort of retro-Bond, Glenurquhart check suit and all. Also, I notice that UNCLE is a Summer release as opposed to the Mid Fall Pre-Thanksgiving US release.

The glen check suit was a staple of Napoleon Solo's wardrobe in the 60s television series. Cavill is too big of a star to become James Bond, and he seems set on playing American characters. The whole retro thing is why EoN shouldn't be nervous. They're going for something completely different.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    From looking at the trailer for uncle, I wouldn't think eon are nervous :D
    It looks to be a more comedy adventure. I'll definitely go yo see it, but I
    don't think Bond has anything to worry about. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed by the trailer.

No UNCLE gun, triangular yellow badges, pen communicators, Del Floria's tailor shop or anything.... :(
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    I don't EON will loose much Sleep over it.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed by the trailer.

No UNCLE gun, triangular yellow badges, pen communicators, Del Floria's tailor shop or anything.... :(

It doesn't even seem like U.N.C.L.E. is the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement. Someone in the trailer says it's a code word. So do they even have a HQ to wear the yellow badges at? Their HQ was like the Starship Enterprise a few years before the Enterprise. They must have some type of communicator to open channel D. I liked the pens much better than the cigarette packs and cases.
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent
    I don't think its going to be a box office hit personally
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    I agree, I was so looking forward to it but from the trailer, it's not
    The film I was hoping for.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    I agree, I was so looking forward to it but from the trailer, it's not
    The film I was hoping for.

I agree. But it's what I would expect from Guy Ritchie.
    I might give it a go -{
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    The original TV series was one of the best genre shows ever, especially the first season in black and white. The movie looks more like a retro Bond (good) but with the typical Archie-Reggie schtick (bad) that will make it seem pretty juvenile. Guy Ritchey will bring a fun enthusiasm to the film that the current Bonds might benefit from, but I don't think it will be a big hit. Like Kingsman: The Secret Service, which it closely resembles, it will try to capitalize on the whole 60s fashion/culture vibe while still trying to seem modern and hip, which is often a bad combination. It will make money but disappear from theaters quickly, finding an audience on DVD.
    Do you think we will see an Avengers Film ? (Not the Marvel Films)
    :D I was thinking watching Kingsman, that surley they must get
    Steed and Mrs Peel doing this in a movie. {[]
    I'll not mention the last attempt to do an Avengers film. ;)
    The Film with Uma Therman? :))
    Yes, bloody awful. X-(
    Indeed :#
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,689MI6 Agent
    Sean Connery as the villain Sir August de Wynter: "Steed, John Steed. What a horse's arse of a name!" :D
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    It as if the makers had never seen the Avengers before ! 8-)
    Something like Kingsman, mixing humour with some great
    Fights and set pieces would be fantastic. {[]
    Who could play Steed?
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3433735/
    Tom Hughes, recently in The Game on bbc2. Would be my choice.
  • ppw3o6rppw3o6r Great BritainPosts: 2,271MI6 Agent
    Who could play Steed?

Red Rum :D
  • superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3433735/
    Tom Hughes, recently in The Game on bbc2. Would be my choice.
    loved the game and thought maybe Tom Hughes as a future 007!!!!!
    {[] Who knows, they could do a lot worse and he's the right age to take over. ;)
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    The Avengers worked so well because of the chemistry between Patrick MacNee and Diana Rigg (exhibit "A" Mi'lord: Linda Thorson).

It's impossible to recreate that chemistry and the harder you try, the worse it will look.

Best to leave The Avengers where it belongs: in the Sixties.
    A bit like Bond, The Man from uncle and Mission Impossible ? ;)
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    A bit like Bond, The Man from uncle and Mission Impossible ? ;)

Well, MI is strictly a Tom Cruise vehicle. He doesn't resemble any of the characters from the old show. All they've done is take the name and concept and update it.

I have no idea what the MFU movie will be like but judging from the trailers, it looks spoofier than the TV show (especially the first season, which was the best). Anyway, it's easier to reproduce the chemistry between Solo and Kurikhan (sp?) since it's just the two-guys-who-are-really-different-and-don't-like-each-other-but-learn-to-work-together-for-the-good-of-mankind formula which has been done hundreds of times.

Finally, in the Bond films, there have only been two films--OHMSS and CR--where there is chemistry between Bond and the leading lady and both times it was a very different chemistry.

No, the Rigg-era Avengers are a one-off, never to be reproduced.
    But we could have a renaissance, a rebirth. For a whole new generation.
    I always thought it would be fun if, for a new series the had a character
    Who was the son of Mike Gambit and Purdey, who would be partnered
    with a new female, with a cool name like Miss Givings :D
    Then again I'm always daydreaming. ;)
  • superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    And in this daydream is Miss Giivings in a Lycra cat suite and perhaps just ordered a pizza!! :)) :))
    You're be surprised what she's Not wearing in my daydream ! :))
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,689MI6 Agent

I imagine that's where the name "Thunderpussy" came from too! :)) -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).