Generic Films

MilleniumForceMilleniumForce LondonPosts: 1,214MI6 Agent
Are there any films in the series that you feel were made just for the sake of making a Bond film? Films that had no real impact on the series, and are very generic for an action/spy film? Here are those ones IMO:

[list=*]
[*]Octopussy[/*]
[/list]
[list=*]
[*]A View to a Kill[/*]
[/list]
[list=*]
[*]Tomorrow Never Dies[/*]
[/list]
[list=*]
[*]Quantum of Solace[/*]
[/list]
1.LTK 2.AVTAK 3.OP 4.FYEO 5.TND 6.LALD 7.GE 8.GF 9.TSWLM 10.SPECTRE 11.SF 12.MR 13.YOLT 14.TLD 15.CR (06) 16.TMWTGG 17.TB 18.FRWL 19.TWINE 20.OHMSS 21.DAF 22.DAD 23.QoS 24.NSNA 25.DN 26.CR (67)

Comments

• HatThrowingHenchmanHatThrowingHenchman Russia With LovePosts: 1,834MI6 Agent
    IMO there are NOT!
    for me, the franchise is made out of each film. and every film has his own contribution to the franchise -{

besides, I would find it rather bizarre to claim I'm a Bond-fan and declare some films irrelevant at the same time :s
    "You see Mr.Bond, you can't kill my dreams...but my dreams can kill you.Time to face destiny" - "Time to face gravity"
  • Lady IceLady Ice Posts: 279MI6 Agent
    I think inevitably there will be certain tropes; genre films are generally made to a formula. You can have variations on the formula but at the end of the day, there is a Bond formula.
  • HatThrowingHenchmanHatThrowingHenchman Russia With LovePosts: 1,834MI6 Agent
    I think this topic resembles the following, which is of course more drastic :
    www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/46080/are-there-any-truly-meritless-movies-in-the-series/
    "You see Mr.Bond, you can't kill my dreams...but my dreams can kill you.Time to face destiny" - "Time to face gravity"
  • Agent LeeAgent Lee Posts: 254MI6 Agent
    I don't think any of the Bond films fall into the "JUST generic spy film" category (though Quantum of Solace comes pretty close). Every Bond film is a BOND film. But I agree that there are a few that rely too heavily on the Bond formula and don't contribute much to the series outside carrying it on.
    Wish I Was at Disneyland, podcast about Disneyland, Disney news, Disney movies, Star Wars, and life in Southern California.
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/wish-i-was-at-disneyland/id1202780413?mt=2
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Are there any films in the series that you feel were made just for the sake of making a Bond film? Films that had no real impact on the series, and are very generic for an action/spy film?
    Never Say Never Again. :007)
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:
    Are there any films in the series that you feel were made just for the sake of making a Bond film? Films that had no real impact on the series, and are very generic for an action/spy film?
    Never Say Never Again. :007)

MilleniumForce said "films in the series". NSNA is not part of the series!
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • blame_thatcherblame_thatcher Posts: 199MI6 Agent
    The Brosnan films all blur into an indistinguishable mush with none of the unique aesthetic the series is known for.
    The Brosnan films all blur into an indistinguishable mush with none of the unique aesthetic the series is known for.
    None?
    Really.
    Okay.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    When I first saw the name of this thread I thought it said ...
    ... Geriatric Films, so thought of AVTAK. :p :D
    ( only joking, I quite enjoy AVTAK) -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • blame_thatcherblame_thatcher Posts: 199MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:
    None?
    Really.
    Okay.
    That's what I said, but it's not okay. Four bland, forgettable films in a row. Not okay at all.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,275Chief of Staff
    chrisisall wrote:
    None?
    Really.
    Okay.
    That's what I said, but it's not okay. Four bland, forgettable films in a row. Not okay at all.

I couldn't disagree with you more, though you are of course entitled to your opinion.
    Many dislike the direction the films took with Dalton starring, and approve of the "soft reboot" when Brosnan took over. The introduction of Judi Dench as M was a major plus, the general public showed their approval at the box-office, and IMHO there was plenty of the "unique aesthetic" around. David Arnold taking over as composer from TND onwards was also a definite plus after Serra and Kamen.
    Now, I'm not saying they were perfect- DAD for all its financial success had many flaws, and the overall lack of Fleming material was a drawback IMHO- but to call them "indistinguishable mush" is going too far.
    I do not think the four Brosnan films were bland and forgettable.
    Indeed. IMO, NO Bond movie is bland & forgettable. My least personal favourite (MR) is totally UNforgettable & not bland at all. -{
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,275Chief of Staff
    With you there, chrisisall- in fact, I may watch that one tomorrow! :)
    :)) Watched Moonraker Friday night. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • The Wicker ManThe Wicker Man EnglandPosts: 434MI6 Agent
    I can think of many words to describe the Bond films but bland and forgettable? - No way.
    1.ohmss 2.cr 3.frwl 4.ltk 5.gf 6.tswlm 7.sf 8.op 9.tld 10.dn 11.lald 12.tb 13.fyeo 14.ge 15.mr 16.yolt 17.tnd 18.avtak 19.sp 20.twine 21.qos 22.tmwtgg 23.daf 24.dad
    In fact, I reject the notion that any Bond film is 'generic'. No Bond movie is devoid of its own unique character IMHO.
    There might be more competition today but I remember waiting for
    The next Bond to be shown on TV like I was waiting for Christmas,
    So I absorbed, as much of it scene by scene as I could. :)) , so they're
    Not generic to me, each one is very much the individual. -{
    each one is very much the individual. -{
    Which ones have their own, MOST unique flavour then?
    For ME,
    DN for its crazy fifties score.
    TMWTGG for its bizarre absurdity.
    MR for Bond in space.
    LTK for the violent Kirosawa-esque vendetta.
    DAD for the cartoon-like take.
    QOS for the brevity in narrative & running length.