Can A New Bond Take Over From Craig?

I was just thinking about this idea for a while and thought id get opinions on it. It's about whether a new bond can really take over after Daniel Craig in the film series ends as his turn for bond.
Most of the actors that became the new Bond were cast after years long hiatuses from the last film and were essentially rebooting the franchise as a new actor in a new era after said hiatuses. (( like Pierce Brosnan in the 90s, Daniel Craig in the late 2000's etc)
But if Bond continues at this pace of two year gap between each new film and a new bond has to be chosen after Daniel Craig has finished his run, Do you think modern day audiences will really take to the dramatic shift between different actors without some type of explanation, in film, as to why there is such a different Bond?- i just thought of this as i couldn't really imagine a new bond after Daniel Craig and i personally could find it a bit jarring if i saw a completely new actor suddenly in the Bond role. ( i grew up in the Brosnan era so only really saw the change from Brosnan to Craig)
Do you think the audience would go with a completely new actor in the role without explanation, or do you think they might find it jarring too? or would they accept is a new era for the film series?

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Can an actor take over from Daniel ? .... Of course, ( It's been done before) ;)
    and Welcome ElektrikVesper -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Roger Moore and Timothy Dalton were able to take over the two-year gap just fine. Lazenby, not so much. Like all the other series that always start from the beginning again these days, will they reboot it again? I hope not.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • Bondage007Bondage007 AustraliaPosts: 371MI6 Agent
    I thought this was a stupid question but thinking more closely, I'm in the same boat as you...growing up in the Brosnan era. And we've lived through the only two changes where the gap is at least 4 years, and the longest and 2nd longest gap in movies (LTK-GE, DAD-CR, QOS-SF).

It will be hard to imagine actor number 007, but it's been done 5 times already so why not another? Those born before the 60s would know.
    2019 Bondathon...in progress (6) FRWL (7) GE (8) FYEO (9) TND (10) MR (11) GF (12) LALD (13) DAF (14) LTK (15) TMWTGG (16) TB (17) TSWLM (18) DAD (19) AVTAK (20) YOLT (21) QOS (22) SF (23) TWINE (24) SP
    New guy will take over, then the Craig bashing will begin. ;)
    and Brosnan will get a break, as he'll move into the " Classic" actor
    section. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."

I already started bashing Craig after I first saw him as Bond (not before!). I think it will take longer for people to warm up to Brosnan again. Most people still dislike Moore.
  • HatThrowingHenchmanHatThrowingHenchman Russia With LovePosts: 1,834MI6 Agent
    Brosnan will get a break, as he'll move into the " Classic" actor
    ...what is in fact really overdue :D
    no but seriously, let's just concentrate on DC and what he brings with him instead of focusing on rumors about the next fella :007)
    "You see Mr.Bond, you can't kill my dreams...but my dreams can kill you.Time to face destiny" - "Time to face gravity"
    " rather a sweeping statement " ;)
    I for one liked both Brosnan and Moore, if I'm in the minority
    so be it, but I think Both actors have many fans in the Bond
    community.
    I also think Craig is terrific, yet his portrayal of Bond is 180%
    From Moore and Brosnan. :D
    Brosnan will get a break, as he'll move into the " Classic" actor
    ...what is in fact really overdue :D
    no but seriously, let's just concentrate on DC and what he brings with him instead of focusing on rumors about the next fella :007)

I don't remember people worrying so much about the next Bond actor when Pierce Brosnan was Bond. The speculation all came after Die Another Day, and I don't think anyone expected Daniel Craig to be a possibility.
  • Bondage007Bondage007 AustraliaPosts: 371MI6 Agent
    I for one liked both Brosnan and Moore, if I'm in the minority
    so be it, but I think Both actors have many fans in the Bond
    community.

I agree, I enjoy seeing all the actors in the role. I've read too much negativity about actors/films on Bond forums (not this one) that I'm taking a step back and looking at the movies with "my eyes only".

Brosnan did get the short end of the stick in terms of content but he moves well and looks good in them.
    2019 Bondathon...in progress (6) FRWL (7) GE (8) FYEO (9) TND (10) MR (11) GF (12) LALD (13) DAF (14) LTK (15) TMWTGG (16) TB (17) TSWLM (18) DAD (19) AVTAK (20) YOLT (21) QOS (22) SF (23) TWINE (24) SP
    Agreed, DC was a real left field choice. On first seeing him. I didn't
    know if they had made the right choice but as soon as I watched him
    in CR. Bloody hell! -{ Bond was back and one dangerous S.O.B. :))
    ( I know you're not a fan Matt S) but bear with me .....
    Sure DC looks nothing like the Bond described in the novels, but In my
    Opinion he does display all the character,of the Bond of the novels. Infact
    It was how upset I was at QOS, that made me go back and reread all the Fleming
    Books. Only to find I was wrong, Craig is ( once again only my opinion) the Bond
    Of those wonderful novels. Flawed, injured, damaged but still determined to do
    his duty for Queen and Country.
    We all have our own opinions ( no one is right or wrong) but I'm really happy with
    Daniel as Bond, and can see he's done his research on the character. I can only
    Hope they find another great actor next time.
    ( I'm still available ) ;)
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    I don't remember people worrying so much about the next Bond actor when Pierce Brosnan was Bond. The speculation all came after Die Another Day, and I don't think anyone expected Daniel Craig to be a possibility.

Probably, because most of people did not have internet in the Brosnan age?
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Higgins wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

In America, everyone I knew had internet by the time of TWINE. And there were tabloid newspapers back then.
  • Absolutely_CartAbsolutely_Cart NJ/NYC, United StatesPosts: 1,740MI6 Agent
    Of course. It was hard to imagine Craig taking the baton from Brosnan.
    Of course. It was hard to imagine Craig taking the baton from Brosnan.

You say that like you were aware of James Bond back then.
    " imagine Craig taking the baton from Brosnan"
    Is that some sort of sexual innuendo ? ;) :))
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    Bondage007 wrote:
    Those born before the 60s would know.

Yes, we do. :D

And the answer is: yes. Unless one was around at the time, it's hard to imagine how hard it seemed to replace Connery since he had become so identified with the part. Once that was done, the problem eased.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    Higgins wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

In America, everyone I knew had internet by the time of TWINE. And there were tabloid newspapers back then.

Not sure how old AJB and other fora are. but having internet does not mean an intensive exchange of opinions like it's normal today.
    You and I were not registered here when DAD was out for example.

The tabloids then and now were not really critical against the main actors - their goal was to keep their readers buying and Bond was always good for that.
    Campaigning against the present actor is a typical internet phenomenon and is not limited to Bond only.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Higgins wrote:
    Matt S wrote:
    Higgins wrote:

Not sure how old AJB and other fora are. but having internet does not mean an intensive exchange of opinions like it's normal today.
    You and I were not registered here when DAD was out for example.

The tabloids then and now were not really critical against the main actors - their goal was to keep their readers buying and Bond was always good for that.
    Campaigning against the present actor is a typical internet phenomenon and is not limited to Bond only.
    I wasn't talking about exchange of opinion. I was referring to mass media speculation. Tabloids now have done a lot to promote Idris Elba replacing Daniel Craig. I don't remember anything like this when Brosnan was still Bond.
  • Lady IceLady Ice Posts: 279MI6 Agent
    I was just thinking about this idea for a while and thought id get opinions on it. It's about whether a new bond can really take over after Daniel Craig in the film series ends as his turn for bond.
    Most of the actors that became the new Bond were cast after years long hiatuses from the last film and were essentially rebooting the franchise as a new actor in a new era after said hiatuses. (( like Pierce Brosnan in the 90s, Daniel Craig in the late 2000's etc)
    But if Bond continues at this pace of two year gap between each new film and a new bond has to be chosen after Daniel Craig has finished his run, Do you think modern day audiences will really take to the dramatic shift between different actors without some type of explanation, in film, as to why there is such a different Bond?- i just thought of this as i couldn't really imagine a new bond after Daniel Craig and i personally could find it a bit jarring if i saw a completely new actor suddenly in the Bond role. ( i grew up in the Brosnan era so only really saw the change from Brosnan to Craig)
    Do you think the audience would go with a completely new actor in the role without explanation, or do you think they might find it jarring too? or would they accept is a new era for the film series?

I think it's just one of those things that people accept. Everyone knows that Bond has been played by multiple actors. In soaps, characters are recast, often with no comment.

A friend has said there is a theory that 'James Bond' is a codename; is that what you mean by an in-film explanation as to why multiple actors played him?
    Lady Ice wrote:

I think it's just one of those things that people accept. Everyone knows that Bond has been played by multiple actors. In soaps, characters are recast, often with no comment.

A friend has said there is a theory that 'James Bond' is a codename; is that what you mean by an in-film explanation as to why multiple actors played him?

I hope they never actually use the codename theory. Real Bond fans know the codename theory makes no sense.
  • HatThrowingHenchmanHatThrowingHenchman Russia With LovePosts: 1,834MI6 Agent
    the codename theory is bulls**t and is made up by people who clearly have no idea of James Bond!
    I am sick of it X-(
    "You see Mr.Bond, you can't kill my dreams...but my dreams can kill you.Time to face destiny" - "Time to face gravity"
    +1. {[]
  • Lady IceLady Ice Posts: 279MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    Lady Ice wrote:

I hope they never actually use the codename theory. Real Bond fans know the codename theory makes no sense.

It's just an awful ill-conceived idea; like in the BBC Robin Hood, where his gang say that Robin Hood is not just one person- "We are all Robin Hood" 8-) Audiences aren't thick, they can understand the concept of the same character being played by different actors, such as with superheroes. They might not think that the new person is as good as the previous one but they accept that this person is now the character.
  • JagJag Posts: 1,167MI6 Agent

Can't wait for that! :)
  • martinimartini Posts: 289MI6 Agent
    Of course another actor can play Bond, but I think Craig should do a few more. I would prefer shorter gaps between films (QoS>Skyfall was far too long) and smaller budgets would be fine. I think a Bond actor can go into his 50s quite easily - remember that the character of Bond is a Royal Navy Commander, not some young whipper-snapper. He needs to be a mature man, and the idea that Craig is getting too old, right now, is ludicrous.
    "It is better to be as well dressed as possible to stave off, at least for a very little bit, the total collapse of civilization"
  • JagJag Posts: 1,167MI6 Agent
    You should also bear in mind that actors don't like being typecast. So they should know when to quit the role. Personally I think Craig should not do any more Bond movies.
  • PaulbolPaulbol Posts: 11MI6 Agent
    Hi All,

I am new to the forum, The next James Bond

Heres a list of names in no paticular order who could play the part. what do you think.

Aiden Turner Age 32
    Jack Huston Age 32
    Charlie Hunnam Age 35
    Dan Stevens Age 32
    Henry Cavill Age 32
    Tom Hardy Age 37
    Tom Hiddleston Age 34
    Luke Evans Age 36
    Benedict Cumberbatch Age 39
    Max Irons Age 29
    Michael Fassbender Age 39

Older
    Damian Lewis Age 44
    Andrew Lincoln Age 41
    Christian Bale Age 41
    Hugh Jackman Age 46

Actors who would like to be cast in the role of James Bond.

Rupert Penry-Jones Claimed it to be a dream role, that he’d “give a shot” when Daniel Craig left it.

Benedict Cumberbatch is a huge Bond fan apparently and would jump at the chance of a part in the franchise.

Hugh Jackman ( he has actually turned the role down before ) He’s apparently open to playing the role in the future though, claiming that it wasn’t right at the time.

Tom Hardy Hardy’s claimed he’d love to play Bond if Christopher Nolan was on board.

Damian Lewis claims it would be “wonderful” to take on the role, but would rather talk about it when Craig announces he’s going.

Robert Pattinson reportedly a massive James Bond fan interested in a role.

Henry Cavill apparently had screentests to play Bond back in 2005, but Daniel Craig was chosen ahead of him, as Cavill was only 22. He turned down the lead role in 300 just in the hope that he’d get the part, and apparently, he’d still love to do.

Regards

Paul
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,651MI6 Agent
    The series has experienced highs and lows, but the producers can be given credit for the careful planning and production that goes into each new movie, whether or not the current Bond actor will star in that. Since selecting Lazenby to replace Connery, their strategizing has become much more sophisticated. The producers look into current public trends in terms of social, political and even economical (the latter was taken into account for TMWTGG and TSWLM) and they've even used these factors to decide when the actor needed to be changed (RM and PB). Going further, they even determine what kind of Bond they'll need before considering the candidates; a case of business before art...so, I'm confident that should DC hang up his printed Madagascar shirt, an overabundance of thought and consideration will go into the selection of the new guy, but whether or not the audience will buy it, it's anyone's guess.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • DEFIANT 74205DEFIANT 74205 Perth, AustraliaPosts: 1,881MI6 Agent
    Paulbol wrote:
    Hi All,

I am new to the forum, The next James Bond

Heres a list of names in no paticular order who could play the part. what do you think.

Some comments on your list:

I think the actor who plays Bond should be:

1. British preferably, but not necessarily, so long as they can sound British on screen.
    2. Brown/black hair, white Caucasian
    3. Between 6' and 6'3" in height
    4. Late 20s / Early 30s now, so that by the time they take over in 2021 (assuming Craig does one more in 2018), they'll be the right age.

I'm not a fan of the following becoming Bond either because of their age or appearance:

Aiden Turner Age 32
    Tom Hardy Age 37
    Tom Hiddleston Age 34
    Luke Evans Age 36
    Charlie Hunnam Age 35
    Dan Stevens Age 32
    Michael Fassbender Age 39
    Damian Lewis Age 44
    Andrew Lincoln Age 41

Too big a star to play James Bond, but I wouldn't mind having either of them:

Benedict Cumberbatch Age 39
    Christian Bale Age 41
    Hugh Jackman Age 46

I like:

Jack Huston Age 32
    Henry Cavill Age 32
    Max Irons Age 29

My addition to the list:

Nicholas Hoult Age 25 (will be turning 32 in 2021)
    Paulbol wrote:
    Henry Cavill apparently had screentests to play Bond back in 2005, but Daniel Craig was chosen ahead of him, as Cavill was only 22. He turned down the lead role in 300 just in the hope that he’d get the part, and apparently, he’d still love to do.

I'd love to see Henry Cavill take over as Bond. Cavill was definitely too young in 2005, but in 2021 he'll be 38 - the same age as Craig was when he took over.
    "Watch the birdie, you bastard!"
  • PaulbolPaulbol Posts: 11MI6 Agent
    Thanks for you input DEFIANT 74205

Regards

Paul