Hey everyone! Bondathon!

eric7064eric7064 USAPosts: 343MI6 Agent
edited August 2015 in The James Bond Films
Hey everybody. I'm new to the forums but a lifelong huge JB fan. I've been looking for a site to discuss the movies and this seems like a great place. Just like to say I recently got the Bond 50 year anniversary collection with all the films.

I'm only 20 years old and grew up up with Brosnan as my Bond. But I've seen every movie when I was younger. But I feel with this new gift it's time for a good rewatch and to really analyze and rank these films now that I'm older. Ill keep my list updated. Let me know what you think and can't wait to discuss more with you guys.

Fyi- I really enjoy all the movies. This is a Bond fan forum after all. But I'll throw in a little recap on why they are where they are.

1. GoldenEye- My favorite. Great everything. Bond movie I grew up watching every single day.

2. Goldfinger- Classic. Connery at his best. Great villian. Great henchman.

3. OHMSS- HONESTLY great film. Lazenby wasn't as horrible as I heard he was. Loved the tone of the film. Great action sequences. Plus that ending. .

4. CR- To me it's a classic. Bond at its best, and what a debut for DC. Vesper is great. And this shows that action does not need to drive the film.

5.Skyfall- Overall great film. Has all the right elements of a great Bond movie. Background info on Bond something new and refreshing. Nice nostalgia kicks bringing back Moneypenny and Q. Few references to old films.

6. Moonraker- Love this movie. Always have. Something about it. Easily my favorite Moore film.

7. LTK- Very good all around film. Great pacing and villian. Great Bond Girl

8.FRWL- All around great film. Really made the Bond formula here.

9. LALD- Awesome Moore debut. Loved the simplicity and setting. Might go higher with time.

10. Dr.No- The start. Connery setting the standard.

11. TSWLM- Very good, but again nothing great. If not for the ending it'd be average to me.

12. YOLT- Even with the hokey stuff in here its still a great Bond flick. Very enjoyable. Just forget about Japanese Bond though.

13. QOS- Enjoyed this movie. Great action pieces. And I honestly liked the plot and story. Tied strings up well. Downside very forgettable villian.

14. TND- Good start. Slow middle. Good finish. Nothing very memorable.

15. TLD- Very good action pieces. Love the setting and the final battle. More serious Tone was needed after Moore.

16. DAD- Great start. Ok Middle. Hokey but entertaining end.

17. TWINE- Electra King was great. Villian was ok. Good opening and ending.

18. TB- Not bad , but not a huge fan of underwater scenes taking over the movie. Bond Girl was great. Movie had some good moments.

19.FYEO- Very basic plot. But executed well. Great first half. Not as great 2nd half.

20. DAF- Little hokey and over the top. Blofield isnt used very well. Decent last hurrah for Connery

21. TMWTGG- Love the villian and knick knack. Had potential to be really great. Might like this one more with passage of time.

22. Octopussy- I'm not sure what it was but did not like the pacing of this film. Ending was really good. But the first 3 quarters were lackluster.

23. AVTAK- Again good last 30 minutes. Walken was an amazing psycho. Loved his role. The rest was honestly boring. Still had some fun parts.

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Hi Eric!
    I'll give you the advice I'd give to my younger self: Read the Fleming novels the watch the Dalton films... -{
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • eric7064eric7064 USAPosts: 343MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:
    Hi Eric!
    I'll give you the advice I'd give to my younger self: Read the Fleming novels the watch the Dalton films... -{

Im heading into the Dalton movies with an open mind. I've done my research heavily on the series and I know there is a huge divide in whether people like Dalton or not. I'm onto those now! I shall see!
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    There is no thing like "an open mind" with the Dalton movies.

There is just right or wrong and may I say that I am right? :D
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    My advice is watch and enjoy them. {[] every Bond film has more
    Good points than bad. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Bondage007Bondage007 AustraliaPosts: 371MI6 Agent
    Hey eric welcome to the forums! Like your ranking so far, typical list (apart from MR rank) but interesting all the same. I'm curious to see the rest of it
    2019 Bondathon...in progress (6) FRWL (7) GE (8) FYEO (9) TND (10) MR (11) GF (12) LALD (13) DAF (14) LTK (15) TMWTGG (16) TB (17) TSWLM (18) DAD (19) AVTAK (20) YOLT (21) QOS (22) SF (23) TWINE (24) SP
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,558Chief of Staff
    Higgins wrote:

You can....but you'd be wrong :v :p :D
    YNWA 97
    My advice is watch and enjoy them. {[] every Bond film has more
    Good points than bad. :D

Oh definitely. Enjoying them all.
    Bondage007 wrote:
    Hey eric welcome to the forums! Like your ranking so far, typical list (apart from MR rank) but interesting all the same. I'm curious to see the rest of it

Thanks! Yes I'm not sure why I love moonraker so much. I know it's really out there for a Bond movie and it's reason was Star Wars,bit I genuinely think there is a good movie there.
  • The Debonair BondThe Debonair Bond Posts: 48MI6 Agent
    There's something about Moonraker I really like too :))
    Moonraker is Very easy to watch, and over the top fun. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • The Wicker ManThe Wicker Man EnglandPosts: 434MI6 Agent
    Greetings Eric -{
    Nice to see Moonraker getting some love. I am watching it now!
    Enjoy both Dalton films, they are two of my favourites of the series. But like you say there is fun to be had in all the films -{
    1.ohmss 2.cr 3.frwl 4.ltk 5.gf 6.tswlm 7.sf 8.op 9.tld 10.dn 11.lald 12.tb 13.fyeo 14.ge 15.mr 16.yolt 17.tnd 18.avtak 19.sp 20.twine 21.qos 22.tmwtgg 23.daf 24.dad
  • PeppermillPeppermill DelftPosts: 2,860MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:

Well, I could agree with you about Dalton, but then we would both be wrong. :))
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
    Updated my list with the Dalton films. Overally I really like them. Thought they both were enjoyable. Great Bond Girl in LTK and villian. In TLD I loved the setting and the finale. Main critique is they didn't feel as much like a Bond film. I feel they could have passed as just an action spy movie. Just my take on it. Regarding Dalton. Not bad. Would I have been okay with him doing 1 or 2 more outings, yes. But at the same time I can also see why he only did 2 films.
  • DutchfingerDutchfinger Holland With LovePosts: 1,240MI6 Agent
    eric7064 wrote:
    Updated my list with the Dalton films. Overally I really like them. Thought they both were enjoyable. Great Bond Girl in LTK and villian. In TLD I loved the setting and the finale. Main critique is they didn't feel as much like a Bond film. I feel they could have passed as just an action spy movie. Just my take on it. Regarding Dalton. Not bad. Would I have been okay with him doing 1 or 2 more outings, yes. But at the same time I can also see why he only did 2 films.

He didn't choose himself to only do 2. And it's not the producers that didn't allow him to do more either. (Cubby Brocolli was very fond of Dalton actually, he loved his take on the character.) It was the studios hiatus of the early 90'ies that eventually made him decide to quit the role in '94.

And welcome to the forums young man ;) - (I'm saying that as a guy who's roughly 5 years older :)) )
    Better known as DutchBondFan on YouTube. My 007 movie reviews: Recapping 007
    YouTube channel Support my channel on Patreon Twitter Facebook fanpage
    eric7064 wrote:

He didn't choose himself to only do 2. And it's not the producers that didn't allow him to do more either. (Cubby Brocolli was very fond of Dalton actually, he loved his take on the character.) It was the studios hiatus of the early 90'ies that eventually made him decide to quit the role in '94.

And welcome to the forums young man ;) - (I'm saying that as a guy who's roughly 5 years older :)) )

Yeah I'm aware it wasn't his choice. I'm just saying I wouldnt have minded if he did two more in 91 and 93 before GE in 95.
    And Thanks. Great forum. Having fun.
    Finished the Brosnan Era. These were the movies I grew up on watching every day. But I took an unbiased approach to them. Brosnan is still my favorite bond. Other then GE his movies were very average. Although Elektra King was an amazing villian.
    eric7064 wrote:
    Other then GE his movies were very average.
    You brigand! TND was AWESOME! Pistols at dawn!
    :))
    chrisisall wrote:
    eric7064 wrote:
    Other then GE his movies were very average.
    You brigand! TND was AWESOME! Pistols at dawn!
    :))

Trust me I like it alot. It's probably the 2nd most bond I've watched. Alot of great stuff. But I feel it fell short in others.
    Brosnan still my favorite though!
    Ice cream at dawn then?
    Funny, I watched TND myself last night. :))
    You know what I love about TND? The car chase and Dr Kaufman scene like everyone else, and the Hamburg break in shows Brosnan at his best, the way he acts and moves especially right after he steals the red thing and bumps into Wai Lin ("looking for a news story?")
    2019 Bondathon...in progress (6) FRWL (7) GE (8) FYEO (9) TND (10) MR (11) GF (12) LALD (13) DAF (14) LTK (15) TMWTGG (16) TB (17) TSWLM (18) DAD (19) AVTAK (20) YOLT (21) QOS (22) SF (23) TWINE (24) SP
    edited August 2015
    Bondage007 wrote:
    You know what I love about TND? The car chase and Dr Kaufman scene like everyone else, and the Hamburg break in shows Brosnan at his best, the way he acts and moves especially right after he steals the red thing and bumps into Wai Lin ("looking for a news story?")

Definitely agree. Acting wise this may have been his best film as Bond personally.
    Finished my Bond rankings. Thanks for everyone that commented. Wonder which one I'll feel up for a rewatch first.
    Sad to see OP and TLD so low :(
    Bondage007 wrote:

I like TLD. Good setting and great ending. I just liked LTK much better. And i don't know what it is with OP. I think it has one of the better last bb 20-25 min. The chase scene. Train scene. Last fight. It's the first half thst drags for me.
    I suppose there's too many films to like! But for me TLD is definitely number one, despite Dalton's lack of charisma.

I see where you are coming from about some places dragging in OP (I used to feel that but not much anymore) but for me the only films that drag are GF, AVTAK, TMWTGG, TB, LALD and that's why they are at the bottom at the moment (up to the end of 80's) in that order
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Bondage007 wrote:

And FYEO and YOLT. Four of my favourite Bond films. He has OHMSS so high, I am surprised he put FYEO with all of its Fleming material so low. FYEO and TLD are the last two Bond films to make direct use of Fleming material before CR, and I think partially because of that they turned out to be some of the greatest Bond films.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    Bondage007 wrote:
    I suppose there's too many films to like! But for me TLD is definitely number one, despite Dalton's lack of charisma.

I see where you are coming from about some places dragging in OP (I used to feel that but not much anymore) but for me the only films that drag are GF, AVTAK, TMWTGG, TB, LALD and that's why they are at the bottom at the moment (up to the end of 80's) in that order

Personally I like LALD alot. I think it's one of Moore's best. FYEO was very forgettable to me. Nothing stood out. But could always change on a rewatch. And there are parts of OP that I think are great. And others that make it cringe worthy.
    Matt S wrote:
    Bondage007 wrote:

And FYEO and YOLT. Four of my favourite Bond films. He has OHMSS so high, I am surprised he put FYEO with all of its Fleming material so low. FYEO and TLD are the last two Bond films to make direct use of Fleming material before CR, and I think partially because of that they turned out to be some of the greatest Bond films.

I really love OHMSS. I think it is definitely one of the Best BOND films. Pacing, Girl, Setting, villian everything was very well done. The ending to was very memorable. YOLT I recently swapped with TB. I like TB alot but to me there is to much underwater action going on. Although the TB Bond Girl is one of my favorites. YOLT is hokey at times but good fun. And upon rewatch I see why TB sometimes gets some flak.
  • 002002 New ZealandPosts: 558MI6 Agent
    I agree: FRWL and OHMSS are both joint holders of my #1 favourite spot. And LALD also sits in my Top 5 (Top 7?). You have impeccable taste, Eric. {[]