Does Bond recover the money in CR?

Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
After Vesper steals the poker winnings and delivers it to Mr. White, Mr. White walks away with the money. Is the money gone? There's no mention of Bond's mission being a failure. The money ends up safe in the novel, right?
Visit my blog, Bond Suits

Comments

• hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent
    Doesn't Gettler drop the money during the scrap with Bond? The money is washed away.
    Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    On the same note , Vesper /The British Govt ,stump up the cash for Bond to play . Bond then wins the £100 million, then gets a phone call from M ,telling him ,that a nice man from the treasury , wants to know where the winnings are ? .Well in my book ,surely Bond should on give back the £10 million he was lent ,and keep the other £90 m , :D
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • JellyfishJellyfish EnglandPosts: 465MI6 Agent
    ...Well in my book ,surely Bond should on give back the £10 million he was lent ,and keep the other £90 m , :D

Perhaps as Bond won the money in the course of his work, it would be classed as MI6 property. My employer has a policy stating inventions/intellectual property a staff member comes up with during their work belong to the employer, and money might be similar. Although maybe I'm just looking at this too seriously...
  • PeppermillPeppermill DelftPosts: 2,860MI6 Agent
    In the novel Bond hides the check behind the room number plate of his hotel door. His entire room is searched but SMERSH can't find it, so yes, the money is safe.

I always assumed Mr White takes the money and Bond only catches up with him after the money has been safeguarded by Quantum.
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    It might be mentioned in SP?
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • Absolutely_CartAbsolutely_Cart NJ/NYC, United StatesPosts: 1,740MI6 Agent
    Mr. White took the money and Bond captured him. Doesn't that mean Bond has the money?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Um, how else can Bond afford all those Tom Ford suits
    and Aston Martins ? Every job has its perks. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Mr. White took the money and Bond captured him. Doesn't that mean Bond has the money?

Some time had passed between when White took the money and when Bond captured him. Mr. White is very smart, so I would assume he deposited the money not long after he got it. He wouldn't be stupid enough to keep it around. If Bond did get the money when he captured White, White's men would have taken it back when White escaped.
    He probably spent most of the Money on his Austrian Hideaway.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,758MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:

Some time had passed between when White took the money and when Bond captured him. Mr. White is very smart, so I would assume he deposited the money not long after he got it. He wouldn't be stupid enough to keep it around. If Bond did get the money when he captured White, White's men would have taken it back when White escaped.

I don't think Bond recovered the money. But when CR ends, the "mission" is ongoing. And by the end of QoS, Bond has presumably uncovered enough information to bring down Quantum. So I don't think it was all for not.

I think we will definitely find out what happened to Quantum during SPECTRE. Who knows--we might even find out about the money.
    My Theory since Spectre was first announced is that Quantum is one of 8 Tentacles of Spectre. With the Organisation itself being the Head.

Maybe the Money went into funding more of there Operations?
  • CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
    Someone explain to me why the Swiss account Bond's winnings were deposited into wasn't set up by MI6 to begin with so they could have accessed it at any time to transfer the funds? Also, if the account was in Bond's name, why didn't he have the funds immediately transferred to MI6 when the Swiss banker came to have Bond deposit the funds into his account?
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    We really don't know how long it is between the death of Vesper and Bond shooting Mr. White but it probably wasn't long. Bond finishes speaking with M, takes out Vesper's cell phone and there's Mr. White's cell phone number . . .

brilliant!

I imagine with that info MI6 could find Mr. White within a matter of minutes and then place a hold on his bank account, any account he's ever transferred money to or from, etc.
    Gala Brand wrote:
    We really don't know how long it is between the death of Vesper and Bond shooting Mr. White but it probably wasn't long. Bond finishes speaking with M, takes out Vesper's cell phone and there's Mr. White's cell phone number . . .

brilliant!

I imagine with that info MI6 could find Mr. White within a matter of minutes and then place a hold on his bank account, any account he's ever transferred money to or from, etc.

It's long enough for Bond to change his clothes twice, so he's clearly not rushing to get anywhere. There was more than enough time for Mr. White to deposit the money. I don't think Bond meets Mr. White the same day Vesper is killed. I can't remember what Mr. White was wearing when he takes the moeny, and if he was wearing the same clothes or not.
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    Yep, it seems that Bond lost the money and that's one of the details that makes me feel bad, along with the death of Vesper. However, the amount of the money that was lost (120 million dollars?) was significantly over and above the original amount funded by the British Government, whatever that buy-in total was, 10 million dollars? The objective of the Montenegro mission was to coerce cooperation from Le Chiffre to further the British's investigation into his mysterious network, which was partially successful. Of course, vanquishing that organization transcended CR and in fact, may/may not continue on to the upcoming film, SPECTRE. In summary, the money wasn't a total loss depending on how one looks at it (missions are expected to incur costs in the millions of $ or UK pound), but then again the loss of the money did take a bit away from that "winning" feel that you'd like to see at the end of a Bond movie.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
    superado wrote:
    Yep, it seems that Bond lost the money and that's one of the details that makes me feel bad, along with the death of Vesper. However, the amount of the money that was lost (120 million dollars?) was significantly over and above the original amount funded by the British Government, whatever that buy-in total was, 10 million dollars? The objective of the Montenegro mission was to coerce cooperation from Le Chiffre to further the British's investigation into his mysterious network, which was partially successful. Of course, vanquishing that organization transcended CR and in fact, may/may not continue on to the upcoming film, SPECTRE. In summary, the money wasn't a total loss depending on how one looks at it (missions are expected to incur costs in the millions of $ or UK pound), but then again the loss of the money did take a bit away from that "winning" feel that you'd like to see at the end of a Bond movie.

Bond also lost some of America's money, which they probably would have wanted back. Bond fails in CR more than he succeeds. The same goes for Skyfall. I hope Bond comes out on top in SPECTRE!
    Matt S wrote:
    superado wrote:

Bond also lost some of America's money, which they probably would have wanted back. Bond fails in CR more than he succeeds. The same goes for Skyfall. I hope Bond comes out on top in SPECTRE!

The Americans' money, as Fleming might have looked at it, was "found" money and if anything I think its loss was a small tarnish in American-Anglo relations. Not to knock the UK, but the amounts of money involved might have been more dear to them than to the Americans, which brings up a quote from Felix Leiter: "Does it look like we need the money?" :)) As a footnote: Felix said that in 2006, but I wonder if he can confidently say that again in 2015 :s
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,758MI6 Agent
    I believe that Bond will come out on top on SPECTRE. I haven't looked at the scripts and don't have much to base that on other than a hunch, but everything we've seen so far has me leaning in that direction.
    I believe that Bond will come out on top on SPECTRE. I haven't looked at the scripts and don't have much to base that on other than a hunch, but everything we've seen so far has me leaning in that direction.

That's a certainty of course, but it seems that SPECTRE could be just the start of the peeling of layers of an onion just as CR was that in regard to Quantum. I haven't read up on the latests AJB threads about SPECTRE, but has there been indications of Blofeld actually showing up? And if so, will it be in SPECTRE? Just as SPECTRE enjoyed continuity in the earlier films by not utterly being shut down (until FYEO, lol), I think Bond will be relatively "on top" just as he ended every movie to date but he won't enjoy 100% victory in order to prolong and build-up the SPECTRE storyline.
    I feel we will find out more about SPECTRE in Bond 25. And this will probably be an Introduction to the Organisation.
  • StrangewaysStrangeways London, UKPosts: 1,469MI6 Agent

I know you are being sarcastic Pussy, but I'd actually read somewhere that Bond kept the money minus the initial stake and that is exactly how he financed his extravagant lifestyle.

I know you are being sarcastic Pussy, but I'd actually read somewhere that Bond kept the money minus the initial stake and that is exactly how he financed his extravagant lifestyle.

That doesn't make sense. Bond already had four fancy suits earlier in the film (all except the PTS navy linen suit were Brioni). We don't see his dinner suit (a fifth) because Vesper got him a better one. His Aston Martins and [at least some of his] fancy watches are provided by MI6.
    To be honest, I wouldn't over think it too much. :)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • PeppermillPeppermill DelftPosts: 2,860MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:

That doesn't make sense. Bond already had four fancy suits earlier in the film (all except the PTS navy linen suit were Brioni). We don't see his dinner suit (a fifth) because Vesper got him a better one. His Aston Martins and [at least some of his] fancy watches are provided by MI6.

Which is funny by the way.... So he had four Brioni suits but he needed Vesper to explain him the difference between dinner jackets and dinner jackets and to buy him a dinner jacket made by the same brand as his other suits :))
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
    It will send you crazy, trying to figure it out. :D
    Matt S wrote:
    superado wrote:

Isn't the bigger issue that the money would've gone to "finance terrorism?"

This issue (such as it is) could've easily been taken care of at the beginning of QOS by having M tell Mr. White "And we've frozen your account with the $120 million in it."

Just one of the deficiencies of QOS.
  • OrnithologistOrnithologist BerlinPosts: 583MI6 Agent

Nah, it's easy. It wasn't about the price, brand, or quality of the jacket, but the fact that Vesper could "size him up" the moment they met, as opposed to his tailors who need measuring tape and time for that, thus making the result infinitely inferior.
    "I'm afraid I'm a complicated woman. "
    "- That is something to be afraid of."
    Gala Brand wrote:
    Matt S wrote:
    superado wrote:

Isn't the bigger issue that the money would've gone to "finance terrorism?"

This issue (such as it is) could've easily been taken care of at the beginning of QOS by having M tell Mr. White "And we've frozen your account with the $120 million in it."

Just one of the deficiencies of QOS.

Yes, Bond failed by letting the terrorists (Mr. White and Quantum) get the money.

Does the British government have the power to freeze any bank account in the world? And how would M be able to find the bank account? They don't even know anything about Mr. White. They would have if the interrogation succeeded.

The thing I always wondered about is where did the Aston Martin come from at the beginning of QOS? At the end of CR, we see Mr. White come through a very large gate (presumably he closed the gate behind him), drive down a very long drive, and in a long shot we see him pull up in front of his house.

No Aston Martin in sight!

Immediately prior to the beginning of QOS, the injured Mr. White must have been bundled into the trunk of the Aston Martin (Jesper Christensen doesn't seem like a very big guy but I'm surprised he can be fit into the trunk of a DBS).

Where did it come from? (and, no, TP they didn't borrow the invisibilty technology from DAD, this is the reboot!).

And where did all those Alfa Romeos full of bad guys come from?
  • HatThrowingHenchmanHatThrowingHenchman Russia With LovePosts: 1,834MI6 Agent
    Gala Brand wrote:

The thing I always wondered about is where did the Aston Martin come from at the beginning of QOS? At the end of CR, we see Mr. White come through a very large gate (presumably he closed the gate behind him), drive down a very long drive, and in a long shot we see him pull up in front of his house.

No Aston Martin in sight!

Immediately prior to the beginning of QOS, the injured Mr. White must have been bundled into the trunk of the Aston Martin (Jesper Christensen doesn't seem like a very big guy but I'm surprised he can be fit into the trunk of a DBS).

Where did it come from? (and, no, TP they didn't borrow the invisibilty technology from DAD, this is the reboot!).

And where did all those Alfa Romeos full of bad guys come from?

easy: Bond parked out of sight and the Alfas are White's security guards that saw the incedent on cctc, got their cars out of the garage and followed Bond
    "You see Mr.Bond, you can't kill my dreams...but my dreams can kill you.Time to face destiny" - "Time to face gravity"