Realistic Bond Films and Ridiculous Bond Films

Brosnan_fanBrosnan_fan Sydney, AustraliaPosts: 521MI6 Agent
NOTE: THIS IS NOT a duplicate thread of "Most Serious Bond Films to Most Silly Bond Films."

"Realistic" is not meant to highten the standings of a Bond film, nor is "Ridiculous" meant to diminish another's entertainment value.

Example 1 - DN has a very serious tone overall, but with a villain with metal hands, it would definitely be a rather ridiculous film.
Example 2 - OP is campy, has Moore imitating Tarzan, and dressed in a clown suit, but overall it is quite a realistic film.

Simply put, what IYO, are the most realistic films, and most ridiculous films (both of which characterised story-wise, as opposed to tone-wise)?

I would say:

Realistic Bond Films:

1. FRWL
2. FYEO
3. OP
4. TLD
5. OHMSS

HM to TMWTGG. LTK could have just snuck in there, but the part with the tanker trucks is rather ridiculous.

Ridiculous Bond Films:

1. MR
2. DAD
3. YOLT
4. DAF
5. TSWLM
"Well, he certainly left with his tails between his legs."

Comments

• Absolutely_CartAbsolutely_Cart NJ/NYC, United StatesPosts: 1,740MI6 Agent
    You do make a good point. A film like Octopussy or Live and Let Die may be silly in tone, but the plots are very realistic.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    You do make a good point. A film like Octopussy or Live and Let Die may be silly in tone, but the plots are very realistic.

It's implied that Solitaire is a true psychic, and Baron Samedi actually cannot die. That puts it more into the unrealistic.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    MR is the most ridiculous, FRWL is the most realistic, the rest are at degrees in between. :D
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • HatThrowingHenchmanHatThrowingHenchman Russia With LovePosts: 1,834MI6 Agent
    edited October 2015
    I'm waiting for the DAD bashing... 8-)
    "You see Mr.Bond, you can't kill my dreams...but my dreams can kill you.Time to face destiny" - "Time to face gravity"
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Keep that bashing up and they'll go blind ! :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Eaiting DAD bashing will make you sick.
  • WadsyWadsy Auckland, New ZealandPosts: 410MI6 Agent
    Most realistic:

1. For Your Eyes Only
    2. From Russia With Love
    3. The Living Daylights
    4. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    5. Licence To Kill
    6. Octopussy

Most ridiculous:

1. Moonraker
    2. Diamonds Are Forever
    3. Die Another Day
    4. The Spy Who Loved Me
    5. You Only Live Twice

Lewis Gilbert gets the pick for most unrealistic Bond films, but I love TSWLM and MR even so...
    John Glen gets the vote for most realistic, and I love all five of the films he directed.
    1. FYEO 2. OHMSS 3. LTK 4. FRWL 5. TLD 6. TSWLM 7. GF 8. AVTAK 9. MR 10. DN 11. SF 12. LALD 13. TB 14. OP 15. CR 16. GE 17. YOLT 18. TMWTGG 19. SP 20. TND 21. TWINE 22. QOS 23. NTTD 24. DAF 25. DAD 26. NSNA 27. CR '67

1. Dalton 2. Moore 3. Connery 4. Craig 5. Lazenby 6. Brosnan
    Wadsy wrote:
    Most realistic:

1. For Your Eyes Only
    2. From Russia With Love
    3. The Living Daylights
    4. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    5. Licence To Kill
    6. Octopussy

Most ridiculous:

1. Moonraker
    2. Diamonds Are Forever
    3. Die Another Day
    4. The Spy Who Loved Me
    5. You Only Live Twice

Lewis Gilbert gets the pick for most unrealistic Bond films, but I love TSWLM and MR even so...
    John Glen gets the vote for most realistic, and I love all five of the films he directed.
    Good list IMO. And out of all the directors, Glen was the most consistently entertaining for me. Beach Boy cover & Tarzan yell aside, of course. :D
  • WadsyWadsy Auckland, New ZealandPosts: 410MI6 Agent
    Definitely, and I love AVTAK despite the things people hate about it. The only things I disliked about the movie were Roger Moore's age and the stunt doubles. Moore's age obviously didn't ruin it, it just could have been better and if Dalton had started with this one then AVTAK may likely have been my favorite of the entire series.
    1. FYEO 2. OHMSS 3. LTK 4. FRWL 5. TLD 6. TSWLM 7. GF 8. AVTAK 9. MR 10. DN 11. SF 12. LALD 13. TB 14. OP 15. CR 16. GE 17. YOLT 18. TMWTGG 19. SP 20. TND 21. TWINE 22. QOS 23. NTTD 24. DAF 25. DAD 26. NSNA 27. CR '67

1. Dalton 2. Moore 3. Connery 4. Craig 5. Lazenby 6. Brosnan
    Wadsy wrote:
    it just could have been better and if Dalton had started with this one then AVTAK may likely have been my favorite of the entire series.
    Agreed! {[]
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    For me, any film with a global criminal outfit like SPECTRE (with operatives known as Number 1, Number 2, etc.) disqualifies it as realistic. So, my most realistic are FYEO, LTK, TLD and OP. I'll go with Wadsy's five most ridiculous.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    For me, any film with a global criminal outfit like SPECTRE (with operatives known as Number 1, Number 2, etc.) disqualifies it as realistic. So, my most realistic are FYEO, LTK, TLD and OP. I'll go with Wadsy's five most ridiculous.

Because it's just not realistic to think there could be an international terrorist organization with a hierarchical structure and a billionaire leader who hides out in an underground lair in the Afghan mountains where he would direct a terror attack that kills 3,000 people.

Oh, wait a minute.
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    Gala Brand wrote:

Because it's just not realistic to think there could be an international terrorist organization with a hierarchical structure and a billionaire leader who hides out in an underground lair in the Afghan mountains where he would direct a terror attack that kills 3,000 people.

Oh, wait a minute.
    I suppose perhaps there is one, but I don't really see a parallel between SPECTRE -- who liked to cultivate a veneer of sophistication, play world powers off against one another, steal bombs for ransom and, most importantly, had no ideological agenda other than money -- and a bunch of Islamo-nazis like Al Qaeda, well-financed as they were/are.

Oh, and one other thing. Having seen the second plane fly directly over my head into the South Tower, having acquaintances who died in those buildings, and to this day having the memories seared so deeply into my brain that I can recite them literally in real time, you'll forgive me if I insist that you take your sarcasm, roll it up like a tube, and abuse yourself hard with it. PM me if you need further instructions.
    Hilly...you old devil!
    Oh, and one other thing. Having seen the second plane fly directly over my head into the South Tower, having acquaintances who died in those buildings, and to this day having the memories seared so deeply into my brain that I can recite them literally in real time, you'll forgive me if I insist that you take your sarcasm, roll it up like a tube, and abuse yourself hard with it.
    I understand this sentiment. You must have been standing mere hundreds of feet from my brother in law.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    As Sir Hillary says, any more on this sensitive subject should be taken to PMs.
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    Gala Brand wrote:

Oh, wait a minute.
    I suppose perhaps there is one, but I don't really see a parallel between SPECTRE -- who liked to cultivate a veneer of sophistication, play world powers off against one another, steal bombs for ransom and, most importantly, had no ideological agenda other than money -- and a bunch of Islamo-nazis like Al Qaeda, well-financed as they were/are.

Oh, and one other thing. Having seen the second plane fly directly over my head into the South Tower, having acquaintances who died in those buildings, and to this day having the memories seared so deeply into my brain that I can recite them literally in real time, you'll forgive me if I insist that you take your sarcasm, roll it up like a tube, and abuse yourself hard with it. PM me if you need further instructions.

I wasn't being sarcastic. I was pointing out the real world had caught up with the Bond universe, something that EON has being dealing with since 9/11.

I could otherwise respond in kind but I won't bother.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    ...and that's right of reply. No more on this unless by PM.