What if the series was to abandon Bond?

MilleniumForceMilleniumForce LondonPosts: 1,214MI6 Agent
I was thinking about this earlier, thinking about what they would do whe Craig is done and they have to carry on with a younger actor, which would mess up all the continuity. So I thought of an idea: what if when Craig is done, a new character takes the 007 number? So the series would be less about Bond and more about the agents that take the number 007. Would you be happy if they did this?
1.LTK 2.AVTAK 3.OP 4.FYEO 5.TND 6.LALD 7.GE 8.GF 9.TSWLM 10.SPECTRE 11.SF 12.MR 13.YOLT 14.TLD 15.CR (06) 16.TMWTGG 17.TB 18.FRWL 19.TWINE 20.OHMSS 21.DAF 22.DAD 23.QoS 24.NSNA 25.DN 26.CR (67)

Comments

• HatThrowingHenchmanHatThrowingHenchman Russia With LovePosts: 1,834MI6 Agent
    "You see Mr.Bond, you can't kill my dreams...but my dreams can kill you.Time to face destiny" - "Time to face gravity"
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    I would not want that. That would also destroy the series. I think they can continue on again like they have before by pretending that Bond doesn't age.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    :)) No need to worry about continuity with Bond. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    :)) No need to worry about continuity with Bond. ;)
    Continuity? What does that even mean?
    Nothing in the world of Bond.

I agree.
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • Agent PurpleAgent Purple Posts: 857MI6 Agent
    Bond exists in multiple universes, as far as I'm concerned.
    "Hostile takeovers. Shall we?"
    New 2020 ranking (for now DAF and FYEO keep their previous placements)
    1. TLD 2. TND 3. GF 4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
    Bond actors to be re-ranked later
    Dalton's 'Verse is the best one, though. :007)
  • eric7064eric7064 USAPosts: 343MI6 Agent
    What? No. This would never ever happen.
    edited October 2015
    That would be " Shakespearian Verse " , Chrisisall ? ;)
    Although Barbel is the expert on Will.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    eric7064 wrote:
    What? No. This would never ever happen.
    Dalton's Bond should go to the other parts of his multiverse & kill the other Bonds to take all their energy for himself, like in that cool Jet Li movie....! :))
    That would be " Shakespearian Verse " , Chrisisall ? ;)
    http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/45213/bond-in-the-original-shakespeare/
    :))
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    I give thumbs down to this idea. The series is not about 007 - it's about James Bond 007!
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    I give thumbs down to this idea. The series is not about 007 - it's about James Bond 007!
    My MAN you're BACK!!
    giphy.gif
    Yessirr!

chrisisall wrote:
    My MAN you're BACK!!
    giphy.gif
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,218Chief of Staff
    The series is not about 007 - it's about James Bond 007!

In a nutshell. Well said, BL.
  • Absolutely_CartAbsolutely_Cart NJ/NYC, United StatesPosts: 1,740MI6 Agent
    I have a better idea than that.
    Die Another Day Pt. II featuring Pierce Brosnan.

The scene opens with Bond making love to "Chialberry Ghips" (Kim Kardashian) when a bunch of rogue North Korean assassins try to shoot up the place and kill Bond. Bond gets on his private stealth jet and flies away with the girl, dropping her off at a plastic surgery office after evading hordes of North Korean fighter jets.

M hands Bond his new assignment. The point of interest is a wealthy megalomaniac banana republic dictator named Pedro Plantana that wants to export poisonous bananas (full of STD's) to the UN Food Programme. Bond must stop him, but covertly, as the rest of the world would frown upon shutting down a food donation program. Bond's only ally for this mission is the one country in the world that won't accept food donations: North Korea.

He arranges a secret meeting. But in order to gain their trust after killing Gustav Graves, Bond must first become Kim Jong Un's personal weight loss coach for a week. After Bond finally lets Un win a basketball game, he is introduced to Un's sister, a botanical nutritionist named Potassi Um (played by Ellen Pao) who runs a banana research lab. And a phallic joke about Um working with banana's leads to a steamy sex scene.

They go on boat to Latin America whilst fending off against hordes of pirates trying to steal their stash of unpoisoned bananas that have been in testing. By 2025, there's a McDonald's Express boat for every mile on the ocean, but the pirate wanting to eat healthy try to kill Bond instead to steal the good bananas. They fail and are interrogated for information leading to Plantana.

When Bond arrives on the island, and after discussing the political affairs with a few potential leads, he goes to a brothel secretly while Um is asleep. The private dancer turns out to be Q who gives him a bunch of gluten-free gadgets. Bond breaks into, enters and strangles a botanist from Pedro Plantana's lab, wears his uniform and injects hormones from the immune banana's Um created into the poison machine to dissipate it.

As the men chase for him, Bond himself turns invisible with a watch Q gave him. Q said that making another invisible Aston Martin Vanquish was too expensive to trash and due to David Cameron's fiscal policies, Bond will have to travel on foot.

His mission is nearly jeopardized when a bum unknowingly pisses on invisible Bond, but Bond gives the bum the MI6 expense card and a lecture about life because "We're all going to die anyway". He then invisibly sneaks into Plantana's banana fortress, deep into his banana shrine. With no one to call to for help, Bond presses a gun against Plantana's head. Stating that Plantana only recently came into power before, and usually dictators are well known before they usurp power, he asks Plantana who he really is.

He takes off the mask and reveals himself to be Kim Jong Il (played by Sean Connery in Asianface). Bond brutally shoots the guy to death but only to realize Plantana/Il and Un were in cohoots all around. Then a bunch of ravaging monkeys come around to eat all the bananas and the place starts to collapse. Bond and Potassi Um help each other escape, and land on a huge lifeboat raft with plenty of fresh healthy bananas to eat.

Bond and Um are naked and make love on the raft full of bananas. Just as a crew of UN rescue boats comes along, Bond turns invisible again. Um freaks out and to her chagrin the UN workers think she's just masturbating to bananas.

The end.
    I have a better idea than that.
    Die Another Day Pt. II featuring Pierce Brosnan.

The end.

No you don't!
  • Enjoying DeathEnjoying Death Toronto, ON CANADAPosts: 1,231MI6 Agent
    I was thinking about this earlier, thinking about what they would do whe Craig is done and they have to carry on with a younger actor, which would mess up all the continuity. So I thought of an idea: what if when Craig is done, a new character takes the 007 number? So the series would be less about Bond and more about the agents that take the number 007. Would you be happy if they did this?

The books/movies have always been about James Bond as 007. Another character as 007 wouldn't be the same and would kill the franchise.

The franchise has survived all this time after 6 different actors have played Bond. It'll survive Craig's departure too.
    Pussy Galore: “My name is Pussy Galore.”
    Bond: “I must be dreaming.”
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,988Quartermasters
    I'm not a 'Codename Theory' subscriber either. James Bond is one man - always - regardless of who portrays him.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    Barbel wrote:

Thanks! -{
    Barbel wrote:

Thanks! -{
    No, thank YOU for coming back!
    (am I seeming too enthusiastic? I could tone it down... "oh, you're back... not uncool...")
    :))
    Barbel is the expert on Will.

No, no, this is more like a hobby...

http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/45213/bond-in-the-original-shakespeare/
    Your hobby is the Bard in rhyming Verse,
    Some say an improvement, others say worse,
    I read them for pleasure, the words you have wrote,
    But I'll stop here, on this final Bum note ! ;)
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    Indeed continuity means little to the bond series. We've had 6 different bonds so far so what does that tell you? However, I do kind of see what the OP means, because DC rebooted the series, and so whoever follows DC will be the first 'new bond' since the reboot. Will be interesting to see how they handle it.
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
    Good point, I hadn't thought about it being the first " Hand over" since
    the reboot. Although I doubt they do much different.
    Good point, I hadn't thought about it being the first " Hand over" since
    the reboot. Although I doubt they do much different.

They could reboot it again. Spiderman is going to be rebooted again, for the third time in 15 years. Reboots are trendy because once they've finished the origin story, they need to start over again. Spectre is still continuing Bond's origin story, but from a different angle. It's going to be a struggle to continue telling Bond's origins in a fifth film, but I don't doubt they will find a way. I think they're going to reboot it again so they can tell Bond's origin story again since simply sending him on a mission isn't going to be interesting to the general public. :s
    In a way with every actor they "Tweaked" the films a little ( just didn't use
    the term reboot) so I guess that will continue. :)
    In a way with every actor they "Tweaked" the films a little ( just didn't use
    the term reboot) so I guess that will continue. :)

Yes, they've tweaked the films. Even within Moore's films there was a large tweak from the 70s to the 80s, and yet there wasn't a big change from later Moore to Dalton. FYEO and TLD are very similar. One actor continued where the other left off. Craig's Bond is the only true reboot because everything was reset, not only the tone but also the story and characters.
  • Agent PurpleAgent Purple Posts: 857MI6 Agent
    So far, EON's "discovered" 6 007 universes.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with the 7th one, but all in due time. It took effort to develop this direction with Craig, so I think 4-5 years is a good amount of time to wait after the last Craig Era film comes out.
    "Hostile takeovers. Shall we?"
    New 2020 ranking (for now DAF and FYEO keep their previous placements)
    1. TLD 2. TND 3. GF 4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
    Bond actors to be re-ranked later
    So far, EON's "discovered" 6 007 universes.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with the 7th one, but all in due time. It took effort to develop this direction with Craig, so I think 4-5 years is a good amount of time to wait after the last Craig Era film comes out.

I think 4 years is too long to wait. After Die Another Day, and then after QoS people often told me they thought the Bond series was finished whenever I mentioned I was a Bond fan because so much time had passed between the films. Even last year I couldn't believe how many people were surprised when I told them there was another Bond film coming out in 2015, since two years had already passed without a new Bond films or they thought films only came in trilogies. I don't think it's healthy for the series to be dormant for any more than 3 years between films.
  • eric7064eric7064 USAPosts: 343MI6 Agent
    I've had to of people come up to me and ask "is this the last one?" Or "This is the last one isn't it?". I'm so mind blown when I get those questions. It's like some people don't know Bond has been around 50+ years.