Bond by Design by DK

I've just received my copy of "Bond by Design" by DK (written by Meg Simmonds) and I have to say that it's superb. It's the same size and weight as "James Bond: 50 Years of Movie Posters" which was published by DK a couple of years ago. It contains concept drawings and designs of everything from cars and gadgets to sets and wardrobe plus storyboards. I've only had a quick look through, but based on my first look it's superb and will be of interest to practically all Bond fans.
[url]
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bond-Design-Art-James-Films/dp/0241185998/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1444235507&sr=1-1&keywords=bond+by+design[/url]

Comments

• ACACIA_AVENUEACACIA_AVENUE UKPosts: 1,774MI6 Agent
    That is on my Christmas List, so looking forward to receiving it -{
    One of us smells like a tart's handkerchief.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    On my Christmas list is a Weber Genesis E330 - just sayin' :D
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • ih8dumpplih8dumppl Posts: 33MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:

You're going to love it. I've had my Genesis for a few years and it is great, very even heat, huge footprint. If I could get a Green Egg smoker to go along with it, I would be cooking everything outdoors, even in the winter!
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    -{ -{
    Do you think that it's worth upgrading from my Spirit 310?

The Green Egg is next then on my list ;%
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    ih8dumppl wrote:
    Higgins wrote:

You're going to love it. ...If I could get a Green Egg smoker to go along with it, I would be cooking everything outdoors, even in the winter!

Is this related to the infamous Green Faberge Egg you've been putting together for, umm, how long is it now? :D :))
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    ih8dumppl wrote:
    Higgins wrote:

You're going to love it. ...If I could get a Green Egg smoker to go along with it, I would be cooking everything outdoors, even in the winter!

Is this related to the infamous Green Faberge Egg you've been putting together for, umm, how long is it now? :D :))

Stoopid egg, Stoopid Higgins!
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • ppw3o6rppw3o6r Great BritainPosts: 2,271MI6 Agent
    Stoopid DK book!
    I couldn't wait to get this bearing in mind who the team are behind it. Yes you need a crane to lift it. Yes it comes in a nice slipcase identical in design & dimension to the 50th Anniversary poster book. Yes it comes with some stunning concept designs but the whole point of a concept art book is you also illustrate what the concepts lead to and this volume regrettably does not.
    There are a series of books entitled The Art of Star Wars, The Art of The Empire Strikes Back & The Art of Return of the Jedi. Their format: design sketches, concept colour art leading to the finished screen scene, prop or character.

The Bond book is also supposed to cover Dr No to Spectre....SPECTRE is the single Day of the Dead carnival design which is also illustrated on the back cover....this should have been the concept design equivalent of The Taschen Archives book and it's not!

The Goldfinger DB5 concept designs have been seen before in other publications but they are a bit special and were for me the highlight in a volume which otherwise did not rock my boat! :(
  • ih8dumpplih8dumppl Posts: 33MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    -{ -{
    Do you think that it's worth upgrading from my Spirit 310?

The Green Egg is next then on my list ;%

Hmm, I had a cheapo grill before I upgraded to the Genesis. While the Genesis has much better build quality, both are great. While I'm writing this, I would probably go for the Genesis but if the Spirit is in good shape, maybe the Green Egg first and then the Weber second?
  • PoorMansJBPoorMansJB USAPosts: 1,198MI6 Agent
    ppw3o6r wrote:
    The Bond book is also supposed to cover Dr No to Spectre....SPECTRE is the single Day of the Dead carnival design which is also illustrated on the back cover....this should have been the concept design equivalent of The Taschen Archives book and it's not!

Okay, I was avoiding having a look until after SPECTRE for fear of seeing something that might spoil the film; good to know I'm safe.

The SPECTRE concept book, on the other hand, I'm most definitely not cracking 'til post-premiere.
  • Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent
    Guys, keep them peeled - just bought the DK book from TK Maxx for £14.99!
    Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
    Guys, keep them peeled - just bought the DK book from TK Maxx for £14.99!

In store ?
    Yip!
    Yip!

Cool ........ where's my coat -{
  • HatThrowingHenchmanHatThrowingHenchman Russia With LovePosts: 1,834MI6 Agent
    It's strange, I preordered it months ago via Amazon but still no notification of it being in stock not to mention shipped?! Any thoughts?
    "You see Mr.Bond, you can't kill my dreams...but my dreams can kill you.Time to face destiny" - "Time to face gravity"
    No idea sorry.

I have to say was not expecting to see it there, though having said that when Skyfall came out I bought both the Bond On Set and Bond Poster book from TK Maxx too. Shortly thereafter the Works had stock of these too at reduced prices.

On that basis I don't think it will be long before The Works get them in too as they seem to source stock from the same places
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    edited October 2015
    I was killing time at my local Barnes and Noble and saw the book. It took me about 45 minutes to look at all the pretty pictures and now I'm not sure if I still want to buy it :# If I do get it, I would want to be interested in reading the actual text, so we shall see since I have some older Bond coffee table books (like the Art of Bond) that has text I still need to read. I've been wanting to get the Ken Adams book, but I would think that the Bond by Design books has most, if not all the Ken Adams sketches. I think that the Bond girl fashion sketches are beautiful and those, together with much of the gorgeous concept art, show how it was probably like for the producers to green light the production with confidence once they had the conceptual art direction, wardrobe, etc. nailed down, thinking "now, we have a movie!"
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    Just picked this up today in my local Homesense for £15
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,518Chief of Staff
    minigeff wrote:
    Just picked this up today in my local Homesense for £15

TK Maxx seem to have picked up a few Bond books lately...must pay a visit tomorrow...thanks for the heads-up, MG -{
    YNWA 97