Re: SPECTRE Spoiler FREE Reviews

Loeffelholz wrote:
welshboy78 wrote:

Some dude on mi6

This is more QOS than CR I'm afraid. A bit hit-and-miss

3/5

Yeah I saw a tweet that said: "Quantum of Solace 2: This Time It's Personal."

Without Marc Forster and his spastic editor, that's impossible  ajb007/tongue

I nearly spat coffee all over my keyboard reading your second line...Bravo sir! ajb007/martini

Loeffelholz wrote:
welshboy78 wrote:

Some dude on mi6

This is more QOS than CR I'm afraid. A bit hit-and-miss

3/5

Yeah I saw a tweet that said: "Quantum of Solace 2: This Time It's Personal."

Without Marc Forster and his spastic editor, that's impossible  ajb007/tongue

ajb007/lol

You nailed it there, Loeff.

"Enjoy it while it lasts."
"The very words I live by."

My excitement levels are almost through the roof now! Not because of the generally good reviews and snippets but because it's now so close and has broken cover! ajb007/bond

"Any of the opposition around..?"

The Red Kind wrote:

My excitement levels are almost through the roof now! Not because of the generally good reviews and snippets but because it's now so close and has broken cover! ajb007/bond

I know exactly what you mean, I watched the trailer with Sam Smiths music playing and I found myself getting all emotional about it ajb007/amazed

It looks great, I really think SPECTRE is gonna be a good one ajb007/martini

Penfold Heart wrote:
The Red Kind wrote:

I know exactly what you mean, I watched the trailer with Sam Smiths music playing and I found myself getting all emotional about it ajb007/amazed

It looks great, I really think SPECTRE is gonna be a good one ajb007/martini

+1 ajb007/cheers

Having my hair cut today, I read a review in the sun
( hidden behind the financial Times )
With no spoilers, and they loved it !  ajb007/cheers

5 Stars from The Times! ajb007/smile  ajb007/smile  ajb007/smile

Thunderpussy wrote:

Having my hair cut today, I read a review in the sun
( hidden behind the financial Times )
With no spoilers, and they loved it !  ajb007/cheers

I saw that. The fact that he calls QOS "dire" makes me think this film is ever better than he says!

Given the critics predisposition to dismiss Bond films as formulamatic sub-artistic entertainment for the less enlightened (especially in the US) a three star review for a Bond film is the equivalent of a four star review for another film. It's like they subtract one star automatically because it's a Bond film. From what I am gleaning from the reviews (and I'm being careful to avoid reviews with spoilers) is that SPECTRE is a film that was made to the tastes of its core audience: Bond fans... but takes things to the next level by being crafted to an exceptionally high standard of overall film making and entertainment level that will resonate beyond the hardcore fan base resulting in another huge box office success. Bond films tend to be critic proof; but Bond films that get good reviews become blockbusters.

HowardB wrote:

Given the critics predisposition to dismiss Bond films as formulamatic sub-artistic entertainment for the less enlightened (especially in the US) a three star review for a Bond film is the equivalent of a four star review for another film. It's like they subtract one star automatically because it's a Bond film. From what I am gleaning from the reviews (and I'm being careful to avoid reviews with spoilers) is that SPECTRE is a film that was made to the tastes of its core audience: Bond fans... but takes things to the next level by being crafted to an exceptionally high standard of overall film making and entertainment level that will resonate beyond the hardcore fan base resulting in another huge box office success. Bond films tend to be critic proof; but Bond films that get good reviews become blockbusters.

Sounds about right ajb007/martini

Good spoiler free review over at MI6.

It's just a shame that for a long time. Every movie after Skyfall will be judged on how much money Skyfall made.

"Sic Parvis Magna"
"Greatness From Small Beginnings."

Robbo88 wrote:

It's just a shame that for a long time. Every movie after Skyfall will be judged on how much money Skyfall made.

Yes that's true. Skyfall was marketed very well. The song also did wonders for that movie.

bryno92 wrote:
Robbo88 wrote:

Yes that's true. Skyfall was marketed very well. The song also did wonders for that movie.

I wonder if "Writing's on the Wall" will help Spectre the same way. If someone released a film today called "Writing's on the Wall", Sam Smith fans would be running to see it. It's not going to have the same impact that Adele repeating the lyric "Skyfall" over and over again in her song did.

I can't see the song hindering the movie in any way.  ajb007/wink  so it
will all help.  ajb007/smile

Thunderpussy wrote:

I can't see the song hindering the movie in any way.  ajb007/wink  so it
will all help.  ajb007/smile

+1...Well...I agree now anyway, I wasn't sure about it when I first heard it, but it has really grown on me and I think it is great. It seems to suit the film very well (at least from the trailers anyway).

I have to say I prefer it to Skyfall, it seems to have a bit more emotion and the lyrics come across as more meaningful (at least to me anyway).

I think after seeing the film, the song may make more sense ?
( I'm only guessing, no other information)  ajb007/biggrin

Thunderpussy wrote:

I think after seeing the film, the song may make more sense ?
( I'm only guessing, no other information)  ajb007/biggrin

Context can't change Sam Smith's voice.

You'd be surprised  ajb007/wink sometimes the song can change the person listening to it  ajb007/biggrin

http://youtu.be/nqpOXEA-A0Q

Best hair cut ever for DC!

" Not All Who Wander Are Lost "

Craig appears like he has at least one or two (depending how long between films) Bond films left in him looks-wise. The good haircut helps for sure. Craig has done fresh new "00" Bond, hammered and burnt out Bond, and apparently more classic fully formed prime Bond now in SPECTRE. For 25, maybe another classic in his prime Bond and if they need a premise to squeeze one more out, maybe a retired Bond called back to service to save the world one more time for 26.  ajb007/martini

From the reviews we've got so far, I'm expecting somewhere between a 7.2 - 7.7 on IMDB in about a month when the rating stops going like crazy. I think as Bond fans we would probably love it, but as a non Bond film it probably won't work as well as Skyfall did as a stand alone.

1.FYEO  2.AVTAK  3.OP  4.LTK  5.TND  6.LALD  7.GE  8.GF  9.TSWLM  10.SPECTRE  11.SF  12.MR 13.YOLT  14.TLD  15.CR (06)  16.TMWTGG  17.TB  18.FRWL  19.DAD  20.DAF  21.TWINE  22.QoS  23.NSNA  24.DN  25.OHMSS  26.CR (67)
twitter.com/IrnBruRevolutio

I will make my own mind up when I see it at 8pm on Monday (UK).

The one thing that makes QOS in my opinion not as good as the others is the poor editing pure and simple.  I have no problem with the story, it's the one film they tried to make like a Greengrass directed Bourne film.  That works fine for Jason Bourne but not Bond.

If somehow when QOS celebrates a signifcant landmark and they could re edit the film I'm sure a lot of people like me would like it more.

As for Skyfall I enjoyed it tremendously apart from the last act where it becomes like a cross between the original Straw Dogs and Home Alone.  I still can't fathom out why Bond couldn't tip up at Skyfall with a bagfull of top grade weapons.

Anyway this is how I rate QOS and Skyfall as Bond movies compared to the others with FRWL being my favourite so 10/10. CR being my 2nd favourite which I also rate at 10/10, and Goldfinger my third favourite but I still have to give it another 10/10. 

My least favourites are FAVTAK (mainly because of Moores age, and the dreadful Beach Boys sound track over some amazing stunt sequences at the begining) 7/10 and obviously like most folk DAD (awful CGI, Maddonas theme plus a ton of other stuff) 6/10.  (remember this is only my opinion).

So:

QOS 6.5/10
Skyfall 8/10

Last edited by UnderwaterBattle007 (22nd Oct 2015 23:02)

CR, FRWl, SF, OHMSS, LTK, SPECTRE, GF, TB, TLD, TND, DN, TWINE, FYEO, QOS, GE, LALD, TSWLM, OP, YOLT, DAF, TMWTGG, MR, AVTAK, DAD

"Do you expect me to talk?  "No Mister Bond I expect you to die"

UnderwaterBattle007 wrote:

I will make my own mind up when I see it at 8pm on Monday (UK).

The one thing that makes QOS in my opinion not as good as the others is the poor editing pure and simple.  I have no problem with the story, it's the one film they tried to make like a Greengrass directed Bourne film.  That works fine for Jason Bourne but not Bond.

If somehow when QOS celebrates a signifcant landmark and they could re edit the film I'm sure a lot of people like me would like it more.

As for Skyfall I enjoyed it tremendously apart from the last act where it becomes like a cross between the original Straw Dogs and Home Alone.  I still can't fathom out why Bond couldn't tip up at Skyfall with a bagfull of top grade weapons.

Anyway this is how I rate QOS and Skyfall as Bond movies compared to the others with FRWL being my favourite so 10/10. CR being my 2nd favourite which I also rate at 10/10, and Goldfinger my third favourite but I still have to give it another 10/10. 

My least favourites are FAVTAK (mainly because of Moores age, and the dreadful Beach Boys sound track over some amazing stunt sequences at the begining) 7/10 and obviously like most folk DAD (awful CGI, Maddonas theme plus a ton of other stuff) 6/10.  (remember this is only my opinion).

So:

QOS 6.5/10
Skyfall 8/10

I agree with QOS. The editing makes the movie so hard to enjoy. And I don't like how Bond is being baby sat the entire movie by M. I find her really annoying in that film. With Mendes directing Spectre, he'll surely allow for proper editing again.

And by the way, Moore's movie is just AVTAK. FAVTAK is Fleming's short story, which the movie unfortunately has nothing at in common with apart from five words from the title. ajb007/bond

HowardB wrote:

I couldn't have said it any better myself  ajb007/martini

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

Matt S wrote:

I agree with QOS. The editing makes the movie so hard to enjoy. And I don't like how Bond is being baby sat the entire movie by M. I find her really annoying in that film. With Mendes directing Spectre, he'll surely allow for proper editing again.

I got the same vibes with SF, since the whole team were communicating through wireless. Maybe it's how things roll these days, but I'd have preferred if Bond did the detective work himself

2015 Bondathon (1) TLD (2) OP (3) CR (4) FRWL (5) OHMSS (6) GE (7) FYEO (8) TSWLM (9) TND (10) DN (11) MR (12) DAF (13) LTK (14) YOLT (15) AVTAK (16) GF (17) TMWTGG (18) TB (19) LALD (20) DAD (21) TWINE (22) SF (23) SP (24) QOS