Question regarding Timothy Dalton?

It was put to me recently that Timothy Dalton only made 2 James Bond Movies because Licence to Kill was released before the Kevin McClory Business with the rights issue and it took so long that Dalton got fed up and decided to move on. Was this correct or was there another reason why he quit?

Comments

• Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
    This is basically correct.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    There are also strong indications that MGM wanted to fire him because of disappointing US numbers - but Cubby did not want to do it.
    In my opinion, they should have sacked him after TLD :D or maybe after shooting the movie and have all scenes with him cut out from the final movie :)) :)) :))
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • martinimartini Posts: 289MI6 Agent
    It's a shame GoldenEye wasn't 1992, with Dalton, in many ways. Though Brosnan does well. I very much like the film.
    "It is better to be as well dressed as possible to stave off, at least for a very little bit, the total collapse of civilization"
  • Bondage007Bondage007 AustraliaPosts: 371MI6 Agent
    That's the official story, but there's reports that the studio wanted Dalton gone before they would greenlight the next film.
    2019 Bondathon...in progress (6) FRWL (7) GE (8) FYEO (9) TND (10) MR (11) GF (12) LALD (13) DAF (14) LTK (15) TMWTGG (16) TB (17) TSWLM (18) DAD (19) AVTAK (20) YOLT (21) QOS (22) SF (23) TWINE (24) SP
  • HatThrowingHenchmanHatThrowingHenchman Russia With LovePosts: 1,834MI6 Agent
    I'll never understand how LTK was poor at the box offices! It's such a good Bond movie!
    "You see Mr.Bond, you can't kill my dreams...but my dreams can kill you.Time to face destiny" - "Time to face gravity"
  • M 'n' MM 'n' M Posts: 105MI6 Agent
    I'll never understand how LTK was poor at the box offices! It's such a good Bond movie!

It's a subject that's been covered many times, but the rating hit it hard (think about how many tales are told on this forum of us watching Bond films under the age of 15. I started aged 8 1/2 with LALD)
  • HatThrowingHenchmanHatThrowingHenchman Russia With LovePosts: 1,834MI6 Agent
    I know it's been covered! what I meant was that I think it's so good that I can't understand how some people....
    "You see Mr.Bond, you can't kill my dreams...but my dreams can kill you.Time to face destiny" - "Time to face gravity"
  • Unknown007Unknown007 Posts: 201MI6 Agent
    Thats great guys thanks for clearing this one up.
  • Absolutely_CartAbsolutely_Cart NJ/NYC, United StatesPosts: 1,740MI6 Agent
    I'll never understand how LTK was poor at the box offices!

That was a myth made up by reviewers after Goldeneye was released.

While it wasn't #1 at the box office, License to Kill still raked in 5 times what it cost to make.

While it wasn't #1 at the box office, License to Kill still raked in 5 times what it cost to make.

Which is a poor return of investment considering the overhead spendings, marketing cost ( which are not directly linked to the revenue but are absolute numbers)and keeping in mind that both Dalton Movies are on the bottom of the barrell of the James Bond Box Office numbers.

Bonds are supposed to be BIG and not cost - efficient.

Additionally the total profit was very low - no matter how much it costed.

And lastly LTK stunk against all it's main competitors

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,420Chief of Staff
    Bondage007 wrote:
    That's the official story, but there's reports that the studio wanted Dalton gone before they would greenlight the next film.

Poppycock !

Why wait six years and lose all that money ? The films didn't lose money so just make the third and move on...
    YNWA 97
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Bondage007 wrote:

Poppycock !
    And hogwash.
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,988Quartermasters
    chrisisall wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Bondage007 wrote:

Poppycock !
    And hogwash.

And (probably) bovine scatology as well :007)

Dalton could/should have done two more Bond films, in the time wasted by legal nonsense, in-between LTK and Brozzer's GE debut.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    chrisisall wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

Poppycock !
    And hogwash.

And (probably) bovine scatology as well :007)

Dalton could/should have done two more Bond films, in the time wasted by legal nonsense, in-between LTK and Brozzer's GE debut.
    Jesus, even just ONE more would have been great! :#
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,059Chief of Staff
    chrisisall wrote:

AA_OLD_MAN_2.jpg
    Go ahead, make me cry.
    Yes, me too X-(

• Agent LeeAgent Lee Posts: 254MI6 Agent
    I've always thought Timothy Dalton would have been brilliant in Goldeneye. Don't get me wrong, I love Brosnan in that movie, but to have seen Dalton do his Bond with that film's strong material would have been something special IMO. I've watched GE while trying to picture Dalton in the role, speaking the lines many a times. It would have been a much different performance than the one Brozzer gave, and maybe even not as good, but as a fan of Dalton's I would've loved it.
    Wish I Was at Disneyland, podcast about Disneyland, Disney news, Disney movies, Star Wars, and life in Southern California.
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/wish-i-was-at-disneyland/id1202780413?mt=2
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Agent Lee wrote:
    I've always thought Timothy Dalton would have been brilliant in Goldeneye. Don't get me wrong, I love Brosnan in that movie, but to have seen Dalton do his Bond with that film's strong material would have been something special IMO. I've watched GE while trying to picture Dalton in the role, speaking the lines many a times. It would have been a much different performance than the one Brozzer gave, and maybe even not as good, but as a fan of Dalton's I would've loved it.

GE is an action-heavy movie that doesn't require a lot of acting. It probably would have wasted Dalton's talents. Maybe Dalton could have brought the film down to earth a little, but it really benefitted from Brosnan's slick moves.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    coming back to the argument "LTK was so profitable".

LTK costed US$ 36 million* and made 154 million (GE made over 350 million with a 60 million budget)
    SF costed US$ 200 million and made over 1.100 million at the box office.

So LTK returned 4,28 of the production cost $ 118 million profit
    SF returned 5,5 of the production cost, $ 900 million profit.

So as a producer, which one would you prefer?

* some sources say 30, some mention 42.

Higgins wrote:
    So LTK returned 4,28 of the production cost $ 118 million profit
    SF returned 5,5 of the production cost, $ 900 million profit.

So as a producer, which one would you prefer?

* some sources say 30, some mention 42.

Well, that's not really a fair comparison is it ?

Skyfall was also an 'anniversary' movie...what other 'blockbuster' movies was Skyfall up against ? They were also very different times...
    YNWA 97
    not surprised that you did not get the point... :v

I'll try again with made-up figures.

You are producing a movie with a budget of US$ 1000,-- which makes US$ 5000,-- at the box office.
    Then you have a movie that you've done with US$ 5.000 which makes 25.000,-- at the box office.

While both movies made 5 fold of their production cost - which movie do you like more and which has been more successful?

I apologize in advance that I am not able to explain it better ;%

I understood your point perfectly...but it's not that simple...how much money do you have to start off with ? If you only have $1000 then you make the first film - why risk borrowing $4000 when you can't be sure of the return you suggest ! :D
    YNWA 97
    edited October 2015
    I would not blame Cubby for not wanting to risk more than US$ 1000,-- for another Dalton movie after he's seen TLD :D
    And here lies the problem - MGM/UA did not want to risk their money for Dalton - they wanted another main actor!

In summary: LTK was the worst-grossing and unsuccessful movie from the EON Franchise - no matter how much it made compared to its cost.

Higgins wrote:
    And here lies the problem - MGM/UA did not want to risk their money for Dalton - they wanted another main actor!

Never seen any proof of that....have you ?
    YNWA 97
    Do you have any proof that Lazenby was offered a 7 movie contract? :v
    We are all depending on what various sources are writing and have to pick what sounds credible and which sources are ;)

Higgins wrote:
    Do you have any proof that Lazenby was offered a 7 movie contract? :v
    We are all depending on what various sources are writing and have to pick what sounds credible and which sources are ;)

I thought it was an eleven picture deal ? :D

Both Babarba and Cubby wanted Tim to stay as Bond...that's good enough for me :p
    YNWA 97
  • DiabolikDiabolik TexasPosts: 117MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:

AA_OLD_MAN_2.jpg
    I wish I could travel to the parallel universe where this movie exists. Btw, is there a bigger version of this?
    1.TSWLM 2.LTK 3.YOLT 4.OHMSS 5.TWINE 6.LALD 7.MR 8.GE 9.DN 10.FRWL
    Bond: Pierce Brosnan Villain: Hugo Drax Girl: Pam Bouvier
  • Robbo88Robbo88 Newcastle, England.Posts: 253MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:

AA_OLD_MAN_2.jpg

Would of loved to of seen this.
    "Sic Parvis Magna"
    "Greatness From Small Beginnings."
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,059Chief of Staff
    Diabolik wrote:
    Btw, is there a bigger version of this?

I got it from here, where it's bigger: http://pdnordgren.tumblr.com/fanart Good site.