James Bond's connections with football?

Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,647MI6 Agent
edited May 2021 in Off Topic Chat
I do and I was wondering if anyone else here did? :)

I realise this is not the best of times to say you are a Chelsea fan either given their recent run of bad luck and the fact that they are (at the time of writing 16th in the Premier League) ! :))

I'm not a big follower of football at all but this is the team I mention if someone asks which football team I happen to support.

As we know from the original Fleming Bond novels James Bond lives in a flat off the King's Road in Chelsea, part of London, England where his "Scottish treasure" May is his housekeeper.

So, does anyone else here follow Chelsea F.C. either for this reason or another?

I'd love to hear from you! :) -{

***THREAD TITLE EDIT AND EXPANSION - Saturday 21 January 2017***

Just wanted to amend this thread to have a discussion about James Bond and any connections that there may be with the game of football/soccer.

It was originally about supporting Chelsea FC if you were a Bond fan as that is where James Bond lived in the original Ian Fleming novels.

I want to expand the thread wider to ask what connections (if any) you see between Jmaes Bond (as both a literary and cinematic character and indeed beyond) with the Beautiful Game.
"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

Comments

• Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
    I'm a CFC supporter as I was born and brought up there. Actually in Markham Sq just over the road from Wellington Sq. Bonds literary home.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • OrnithologistOrnithologist BerlinPosts: 583MI6 Agent
    Hertha Berlin fan of course. So it helps that Chelsea's colours are blue and white as well. Started liking them when Michael Ballack played there (and Robert Huth - the Berlin Wall-, briefly). Can't say I'm a fan but I have nothing against them. Always found it a bit hypocritical when people criticized Chelsea for being owned by an Oligarch when so many other premier league clubs are owned by equally rich but lesser known investors.
    "I'm afraid I'm a complicated woman. "
    "- That is something to be afraid of."
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    Bond didn't seem to have much interest in team sports at all, or even any spectator sports at all for that matter. However, living as he did just off the King's Road, you would expect him to be a Chelsea supporter, although there is the possibility that he followed Fulham (sorry Asp9mm!).
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,060Chief of Staff
    He may live there, but he doesn't come from there!
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Yep I'm a Chelsea supporter :# . I'm hoping our present run of luck is a bit like DC's Bond's: better luck overseas than on home territory...
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,647MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    He may live there, but he doesn't come from there!

Sorry, I've amended the thread title accordingly. :) -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 SwitzerlandPosts: 870MI6 Agent
    Bournemouth Forever

:) -{
    Dalton Rulez™
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,647MI6 Agent
    Bournemouth Forever

:) -{

Each to their own! :D
    ***THREAD TITLE EDIT AND EXPANSION - Saturday 21 January 2017***

Just wanted to amend this thread to have a discussion about James Bond and any connections that there may be with the game of football/soccer.

It was originally about supporting Chelsea FC if you were a Bond fan as that is where James Bond lived in the original Ian Fleming novels.

I want to expand the thread wider to ask what connections (if any) you see between James Bond (as both a literary and cinematic character and indeed beyond) with the Beautiful Game.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,420Chief of Staff
    Daniel Craig is a Liverpool fan - 'nuff said B-)
    YNWA 97
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:

Bet hes grumpy today!!! Ruined my weekend :v
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,420Chief of Staff
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

Not as grumpy as I X-(
    YNWA 97
  • hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent
    There's a football game on the telly, during the fight between Bond and Lippe, in NSNA.

The pipeline supervisor is listening to a game on the radio in TLD.
    Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    In OHMSS, at the train station in Switzerland when Bond shows up disguised as Bray, Campbell is reading a newspaper, the back page of which reads "Why Brown Had To Go". This refers to the sacking of Luton F.C.'s manager Allan Brown, which happened in December 1968.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • VesperMelogranoVesperMelograno The SouthPosts: 901MI6 Agent
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

It made my entire weekend!
    I've always wanted to have Christmas in Turkey
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,033MI6 Agent
    In OHMSS, at the train station in Switzerland when Bond shows up disguised as Bray, Campbell is reading a newspaper, the back page of which reads "Why Brown Had To Go". This refers to the sacking of Luton F.C.'s manager Allan Brown, which happened in December 1968.

Wow, what a great spot! So OHMSS took place in 1968 and not 1969 :))
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

You know I noticed that but I always thought that it referred to George Brown MP's resignation as Foreign Secretary from the Harold Wilson Labour Government in 1968. It seems I was wrong but then I know nothing about football!
  • ggl007ggl007 SpainPosts: 388MI6 Agent
    That's a good one!

Here's Bond reading a Turkish newspaper and I can read Besiktas won 2:0, but I can't identify any more...

13994255_ori.jpg