Matchless Craig Blouson Alternative?

Is anyone having luck finding a good Matchless Craig Blouson Alternative? I bought something in the same vein on eBay recently, but the fit isn't right. I really love the look of the jacket used in the film and I'm excited to see what you guys have tracked down as an alternative!
You're that English secret agent from England | Instagram: @matchedperfectly | Web: www.matchedperfectly.us

Comments

• canoe2canoe2 Posts: 2,007MI6 Agent
    Bmorelli11 wrote:
    Is anyone having luck finding a good Matchless Craig Blouson Alternative? I bought something in the same vein on eBay recently, but the fit isn't right. I really love the look of the jacket used in the film and I'm excited to see what you guys have tracked down as an alternative!

I was also looking for one, but gave up in the end due to lack of selection. Since I won't use a suede jacket very often where I live, I couldn't justify paying that much for a piece of clothing that will hang in my closet 90% of the year.

What I ended up doing was buying a Banana Republic suede jacket in a close color on Ebay for $30.00 plus $10.00 shipping. The jacket is in excellent used condition (brand new really; still had the silicon packet in the pocket), but it had a shirt style collar and was a little boxy in the fit. So I took a quick trip to my tailor (I'm lucky to have one that also does great work with soft leather) to restyle the collar and trim up the fit to get it closer to the Matchless. Still waiting for the final result, but it's only going to cost me $40.00 and the work he has done for me in the past has been excellent, so I'm expecting good things .

This probably isn't the route for everyone, but overall I'm about $80 all in, and I have pretty much exactly what I wanted. Will post pics of the final result. Here some examples of the type of jacket I bought:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Banana-Republic-Khaki-Suede-Leather-Coat-Blazer-Jacket-Mens-sz-Large-/272042559025?hash=item3f57000631:g:AaUAAOSwYHxWQoyf (mine didn't have buttons on the cuffs)

s-l500.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Banana-Republic-LEATHER-SUEDE-Beige-Jacket-M-Mens-Full-Dual-Zip-Dress-Casual-/301750910549?hash=item4641c17e55:g:xQQAAOSwVL1WBeQM

s-l500.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/17065-Fantastic-Beige-Men-s-Suede-Leather-Coat-Jacket-Size-small-Scully-/131386914294?hash=item1e974535f6:g:s0kAAOSwMKpUZRTa

s-l500.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZARA-MAN-REAL-LEATHER-SUEDE-TAN-AVIATOR-JACKET-Ref-0706-329-RRP-299/181908531148?_trksid=p2045573.c100034.m2102&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131003150253%26meid%3D238091d0bb9d48a9b44a0435f0f9ded7%26pid%3D100034%26rk%3D7%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D351577478716

s-l500.jpg

This is the one I bought:
    s-l500.jpg

Just a word of caution, which you probably already know: there are a ton of fake suede jackets on Ebay that sellers try to pass off as real, usually "Armani" something knockoffs; this is why I felt it was better to go with a brand like BR or GAP.

Hope this helps!
  • Bond44Bond44 Vauxhall CrossPosts: 1,581MI6 Agent
    I bought this one from Zara

Cheers

image.jpg
    My name is Bond, Basildon Bond - I have letters after my name!
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,417Chief of Staff
    ^ that's a good looking alternative -{
    YNWA 97
  • OsirisOsiris Russia with love Posts: 93MI6 Agent
    Zara £150
    By the way' the name is "James St. John smythe" I'm English
    image.jpg
  • Hart008Hart008 Posts: 710MI6 Agent
    @Osiris where did you get that ?
    Looks awesome ... did you edit the colourig on the photo ?
    Yes i did ride the CAT
  • Chri360936Chri360936 Posts: 54MI6 Agent
    It is a Zara Mens coat. I bought one also as an alternative. It is the fourth coat down in the pictures above. Color is accurate. The pockets are a different style and the collar overlaps, but for the price is an excellent alternative. I am thinking of finding somethingone who can alter it to be more accurate in the collar, if it is possible.

Chris
    Yes it's the forth one down from Zara
    I had the collar altered because I didn't like it overlapping
    So apart from the pockets it's a very good alternative indeed
    It's also real suede so it's a bargain it feels great too

Hart008 wrote:
  • Bmorelli11Bmorelli11 Posts: 197MI6 Agent
    That one looks great! @osiris

I agree with your Ebay assessment @canoe2
    Osiris wrote:

Hart008 wrote:
    You're that English secret agent from England | Instagram: @matchedperfectly | Web: www.matchedperfectly.us
  • Chri360936Chri360936 Posts: 54MI6 Agent
    Osiris wrote:

How did you have it altered and who did it?

Chris
    I just took it too the local dry cleaners they do alterations' They just snip the collar flap off and sew it up' easy' cheap and it makes all the difference.
    I'm very pleased' the only real difference from the matchless is the pockets' but I can live with it
    I highly recommend this jacket

And saved £700 so I can buy the jv too and a Smedley

Chri360936 wrote:
    Osiris wrote:

How did you have it altered and who did it?

Chris
  • UNCLE27UNCLE27 EnglandPosts: 1,114MI6 Agent
    Osiris wrote:
    image.jpg

That looks amazing!! I think I'm going to have to do that...
    Just a thought though...
    Even the frugal Morocco outfit adds up;
    Zara Jacket £150
    Aldo Boots £75 - £95
    Sunspel Polo £80
    OB Shirt £120
  • James BrosnanJames Brosnan Posts: 865MI6 Agent
    Pretty good option here from Topman, though a little overpriced as it look likes pig skin faux suede. But, if these ever went on a good sale, I would say its a decent frugal alternative.

http://us.topman.com/en/tmus/product/clothing-172005/mens-jackets-coats-3852058/harrington-jackets-4173232/ltd-roadtrip-suede-harrington-jacket-4881860?bi=0&ps=20
    "Whoever she was, I must have scared the living daylights out of her." & "Tell mother I died game."
    CR/QoS, TLD, DN, GE, TSWLM, LTK, TND, TWiNE, TMWTGG, TB
    http://www.iconicalternatives.com/author/james-brosnan/
    https://www.instagram.com/shawn.michael.bongiorno/
  • UNCLE27UNCLE27 EnglandPosts: 1,114MI6 Agent
    UNCLE27 wrote:
    Osiris wrote:
    image.jpg

That looks amazing!! I think I'm going to have to do that...
    Just a thought though...
    Zara Jacket £150
    Aldo Boots £75 - £95
    Sunspel Polo £80
    OB Shirt £120

Well, my Black Friday shopping spree has begun to arrive. Had already bought the Aldo Boots (excellent!) and today my Zara jacket arrived. I bought this on the basis of this thread plus I had already bought the Zara Varatos alternative which has been getting a lot of wear. It's a great fit for me and amazing value for money.

Anyway, I managed to bag this jacket for £119 (£30 off). My first impressions...

Great colour, lighter and more beige than I was expecting. More screen accurate in my opinion.
    Lighter and incredibly soft. Should be great in the warmer weather.
    REALLY well made! Fully lined and well finished. I like the double cuff finish which means the sleeves don't hang down too far.
    Very similar fit to their blue Varatos alternative.
    And again, amazing value for money!!

I'm not keen on the overlapping collar and I may see about having the extra flap cut off too, as per the picture.

In summary, I'm VERY happy and impressed with this jacket!!! :007)

Now, waiting for my OB Malone and OB Navy Polo..... :)
    Also need to find a decent pair of Chinos to go with this outfit.
  • OrnithologistOrnithologist BerlinPosts: 583MI6 Agent
    UNCLE27 wrote:
    Just a thought though...
    Zara Jacket £150
    Aldo Boots £75 - £95
    Sunspel Polo £80
    OB Shirt £120

That's because you haven't listed the most frugal options.

Zara jacket used (40€)
    Onfire sunglasses (12,95€)
    COS open collar polo (15€)
    Invicta watch from ebay (71€)
    Asos Nato strap (3,99€)
    Selected Chinos 29,95€
    Aldo Boots (47 GBP ~ 54 €)

that's the whole outfit for a good thousand less than the matchless :)

20160811_175457_1.jpg
    "I'm afraid I'm a complicated woman. "
    "- That is something to be afraid of."
  • CommandantCommandant Posts: 1,367MI6 Agent
    The COS polo looks very nice!
    Commandant wrote:

Still available! I got it on sale last year.

http://www.cosstores.com/de/Men/T-shirts_Polo_shirts/Open-neck_polo_shirt/51733440-45745041.1#c-22755
  • CommandantCommandant Posts: 1,367MI6 Agent
    Commandant wrote:

Still available! I got it on sale last year.

http://www.cosstores.com/de/Men/T-shirts_Polo_shirts/Open-neck_polo_shirt/51733440-45745041.1#c-22755

Thank you so much for the tip!
  • MFisherMFisher Posts: 745MI6 Agent
    I have one of the Banana Republic suede jackets in a size Medium that I no longer want.. Is slightly different than the one the above member altered in that mine has a more screen accurate horizontal seam across the lower part of the front.. Glad to sell it for $50 shipped here in the states.. At work now.. but can post pics later this weekend.
  • ThomoThomo ReadingPosts: 949MI6 Agent
    This is from Pull & Bear at €35
    image.jpg
    Osiris wrote:
    I just took it to the local dry cleaners they do alterations' They just snip the collar flap off and sew it up' easy' cheap and it makes all the difference.

Now that I finally got one of these jackets I'd like to do the same, however I wonder what you / your tailor did about the button closure. I wouldn't mind if the collar no longer closed (you never do on these summer jackets anyway) but it would suck to have have only the button on one side (or a hole where it used to be).