Bond novels 2012 Vintage Paperback versions

DutchfingerDutchfinger Holland With LovePosts: 1,240MI6 Agent
I own all the Fleming novels in Dutch. While I have the complete collection and they are a joy to read, and I'm actually still yet to finish all of them, I also have been having these thoughts of buying the English versions. I think it's more authentic to read it in the original language, could also help enlarge my English vocabulary in some ways! -{

Although I haven't completely made up my mind fully yet (they are expensive after all, and I do own them in Dutch)
These versions seemed intresting to me:

https://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/literary_fleming_vintage_paperback_designs.php3

Anyone has any expierence with these? Or does anyone else recommend getting different ones?
Better known as DutchBondFan on YouTube. My 007 movie reviews: Recapping 007
YouTube channel Support my channel on Patreon Twitter Facebook fanpage

Comments

• PeppermillPeppermill DelftPosts: 2,860MI6 Agent
    I bought the box set with 10 of the Fleming novels quite a few years ago for €15,- or €25,- (new) in Amsterdam at the New English Bookstore (located a the end of de Kalverstraat near Muntplein). It might be worthwhile looking for this set. Sorry I couldn't find a better picture. I'm not sure if they still sell it but if you want I could have a look next time I'm in Amsterdam.
    https://ssli.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTc2WDEwMjQ=/z/pigAAOSwT6pV4uda/$_86.JPG
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
  • DutchfingerDutchfinger Holland With LovePosts: 1,240MI6 Agent
    Peppermill wrote:
    I bought the box set with 10 of the Fleming novels quite a few years ago for €15,- or €25,- (new) in Amsterdam at the New English Bookstore (located a the end of de Kalverstraat near Muntplein). It might be worthwhile looking for this set. Sorry I couldn't find a better picture. I'm not sure if they still sell it but if you want I could have a look next time I'm in Amsterdam.
    https://ssli.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTc2WDEwMjQ=/z/pigAAOSwT6pV4uda/$_86.JPG

Thanks! Never see this set before. Might be worthwhile too, especially considering the price!

I'm a bit of a collector, I have to admit I already own a great set of the Dutch ones too that I already saw lots of English people "wish they could own". But the ones I shared here seemed very intresting too.

Like I said, I'll give it all some thoughts, thanks for the tip Tijl ! -{
    edited November 2015
    So I just bought the first four of this English collection and I gotta say I did not regret getting these! (Despite already owning all the Dutch ones too). They covers look great, there's a nice shiny golden polish to it, the fonts and chapters are all in the same styles and are very neat. (In the Dutch ones they differ all the time from book to book...)

12272638_757675901004626_146944101_n.jpg

12287523_757675781004638_1529991067_o.jpg

12309235_757676964337853_275064655_n.jpg

I will defenitely be getting the rest now, and I can't wait to finally read these 'the authentic" way! :D
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Congratulations, they have some lovely covers. -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Congratulations, they have some lovely covers. -{

Cheers TP! -{ I already finished reading CR. It's still one of my favorite Fleming novels in the bunch! It's the one I've read the most and it was as great as I remembered it to be!

I also just now made a little review on the first novel CR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVpjkXM1hs4

I figured besides making reviews of the movies I might as well also discuss the Fleming source material itself to truly widen the Bond content and slowly turn the channel in a channel that more and more Bond fans can enjoy :)
    Great Idea -{ to cover books and films. :)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff

I also just now made a little review on the first novel CR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVpjkXM1hs4

Watching it right now. Jean Reno for Mathis is a great idea!
  • 002002 New ZealandPosts: 558MI6 Agent
    Very nice review. You have a very relaxed and confident manner. I also find it interesting to hear the "translated" titles, which are anything but. The Swedish versions are, if anything, worse (From Russia with Love = 007 Sees Red!). Keep your pecker up and carry on fighting the good fight! {[]
    Thanks guys! Good to hear :)

@002 wow, the Swedish really didnt get a good deal either. Ive also heared about the Russian titles, which are also in that weird vain...

Since christmas some more of these have been added to my collection, and also the latest SPECTRE edition of the James Bond Archives from Taschen! :D

IMAG7846.jpg

Still though these versions of the novels remain marvelous! I love these covers and they look good together on the shelve too! I'm now aiming to complete the set soon! It's unfortunate that Colonel Sun didn't receive one of these covers as well, but ohwell no big deal.
    Nice review of the book, I still have to add this to my collection but I'm
    going to soon.
    Just wanted to tell you guys that today I have finally completed my English Fleming novels! I absolutely love this collection! They look great on the shelf and have nice covers! I like them a lot better than the Dutch ones, as they read so much more authentic! Now all I need is a lazy chair, some grey hairs, a reading lamp and a pipe! :))

Excited to make my way through them all! -{

IMAG8225.jpg

IMAG8227.jpg
  • Mr SnowMr Snow Station "J" JamaicaPosts: 1,736MI6 Agent
    Just wanted to tell you guys that today I have finally completed my English Fleming novels! I absolutely love this collection! They look great on the shelf and have nice covers! I like them a lot better than the Dutch ones, as they read so much more authentic! Now all I need is a lazy chair, some grey hairs, a reading lamp and a pipe! :))

Almost overnight you've turned in to Sherlock Holmes ;) -{

That collection does look great and you have them in publication order too - may as well do the job right. I noticed you have the first James Bond Omnibus 001. I think these are great also. I have all six of them and recommend them highly if you don't have the others.
    "Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974; It's a scientific fact". - Homer J Simpson
  • BleuvilleBleuville Posts: 384MI6 Agent
    Great Idea -{ to cover books and films. :)

On the Vintage paperbacks, I ordered from a bookshop the graphic cover book of Colonel Sun
    which is the one non-Fleming title. (Of course it was the first continuation novel (1968) after Fleming.)

I have many covers versions of the 14 Fleming Bond books. There are so many.
    See pizgloria.com website for variations both UK and USA covers.

Bleuville.