What stunts did Roger Moore do himself?

MilleniumForceMilleniumForce LondonPosts: 1,214MI6 Agent
Everyone criticising him for not doing his own stunts, but I'd like to know what he did actually do. I know he did:

- Some boat driving in LALD
- Some driving in the fire truck in AVTAK
- Driving the wet bike in TSWLM (I think?)
1.LTK 2.AVTAK 3.OP 4.FYEO 5.TND 6.LALD 7.GE 8.GF 9.TSWLM 10.SPECTRE 11.SF 12.MR 13.YOLT 14.TLD 15.CR (06) 16.TMWTGG 17.TB 18.FRWL 19.TWINE 20.OHMSS 21.DAF 22.DAD 23.QoS 24.NSNA 25.DN 26.CR (67)

Comments

• Markyb64Markyb64 Posts: 86MI6 Agent
    Everyone criticising him for not doing his own stunts, but I'd like to know what he did actually do. I know he did:

- Some boat driving in LALD
    - Some driving in the fire truck in AVTAK
    - Driving the wet bike in TSWLM (I think?)
    He definitely did not do the hang gliding stunt in LALD but it was implied in the extras of the Definitive DVD version of LALD that he trained for it!
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    Driving one of the boats in TMWTGG
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    He did that bit where he opens the door, enters, delivers his lines, and the director says "cut."

{:)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    :)) He did get in and out of a few chairs unaided in AVTAK. ;)
    Roger is on record as saying " Some people love the adrenaline
    rush, you get from stunt work .......... I'm not one of those people " :D
    So I'm guessing like Harrison Ford he was happy to do " physical acting",
    Running, jumping, falling down but nothing too dangerous. Although just
    Being on a Bond set when the explosions start, would be dangerous enough.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • MilleniumForceMilleniumForce LondonPosts: 1,214MI6 Agent
    :)) He did get in and out of a few chairs unaided in AVTAK. ;)

I'm quite amazed in AVTAK that he jumped onto the lowering platform in the stables!
    1.LTK 2.AVTAK 3.OP 4.FYEO 5.TND 6.LALD 7.GE 8.GF 9.TSWLM 10.SPECTRE 11.SF 12.MR 13.YOLT 14.TLD 15.CR (06) 16.TMWTGG 17.TB 18.FRWL 19.TWINE 20.OHMSS 21.DAF 22.DAD 23.QoS 24.NSNA 25.DN 26.CR (67)
    I love Roger as Bond {[] so even though I might make the odd bad joke about his
    Stunt work, I do enjoy his films.
    It's just like the old baseball players, who'd still hit the balll,but get a younger guy to
    do the running round the bases ! ;)
    ( I'm proud of that analogy, as I'm not an American, and haven't played " Rounders"
    in years) :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 SwitzerlandPosts: 870MI6 Agent
    I love Roger Moore. I don't even care that two of his movies are pretty low in my ranking.

As for the stunt work, there are some really almost iconic scenes like the one in Paris where you can clearly, very clearly see, that it is not Roger Moore driving the blue car in AVTAK.

For me, those scenes belong to the movies, I wouldn't want it any other way. It's a part of the history of the franchise.

Of course you can argue they should have done it better (hiding the fact that it's not Moore) but then the action wouldn't be that spectacular I guess.

By the way, in CR you can clearly see as well, when it's not Craig that is scrambling about the building crane construction. We have to accept those things if we want to have elaborate action in movies that are done by real men/women and not CGI.

-{
    Dalton Rulez™
    Agreed, actors are hired to act, not jump around building sites
    ( even if they want to ) on the Licence to kill DVD documentary,
    They tell the story of Cubby arriving on set, to find Tim Dalton
    Hanging from a Helicopter, while his stunt double was on the ground
    shouting advice. To which a shocked Cubby asked," What are you doing
    down here, and he's up there ?" :))
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Agreed, actors are hired to act, not jump around building sites
    ( even if they want to ) on the Licence to kill DVD documentary,
    They tell the story of Cubby arriving on set, to find Tim Dalton
    Hanging from a Helicopter, while his stunt double was on the ground
    shouting advice. To which a shocked Cubby asked," What are you doing
    down here, and he's up there ?" :))

An acquaintance of mine was the Stunt arranger for TLD & LTK and he told me that Tim gave him nightmares by doing so much himself and that he would always 'push it ' to give the camera that little bit more (he says as much on a commentary I think)
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
    Yes, I remember something about,Tim wanting to do more of the
    Dangerous stuff, and having to be persuaded out of it.
  • am747am747 Posts: 720MI6 Agent
    If Moore did many of the dangerous stunts, the 007 films could have been even more expensive to make with fewer releases in Moore's tenure (as he would have need a long time to recover) :))
    One of many reasons why Timothy Dalton was and still is the best James Bond :D :007) -{
    Dalton Rulez™
  • Julius No M.D.Julius No M.D. Posts: 110MI6 Agent
    He probably did less than Anatole Taubman.
    All right keep your hair on ! ;) :D
  • Julius No M.D.Julius No M.D. Posts: 110MI6 Agent
    All right keep your hair on ! ;) :D

Haha! -{
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Yes, I remember something about,Tim wanting to do more of the
    Dangerous stuff, and having to be persuaded out of it.
    They drew the line with the cargo net scene.
    "Hello, Tim? Yes, we're shooting the fight on the net tomorrow at 9am. Yes. See you then, bye. Okay John, go shoot it now."
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
    Rumour has it that Dalton liked doing stunt work so much that he even asked if he can do the stunts for Brosnan in GoldenEye :)) :p
    Dalton Rulez™
  • hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent
    Not really a stunt but in Roger's later films, he used a stuntman when Bond was running. He did this because he thought he looked awkward running.
    Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Not really a stunt but in Roger's later films, he used a stuntman when Bond was running. He did this because he thought he looked awkward running.

He was right, he did look awkward running, jumping, getting up,sitting down, shooting a gun, fighting...he also didn't like explosions. Ideally suited to playing James Bond then.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • OddjoblofeldraxorinOddjoblofeldraxorin CaliforniaPosts: 195MI6 Agent
    I think I heard him say on the FYEO commentary that he did some the the stunts in fight against the Hockey players, which resulted in a broken shoulder.
  • The Wicker ManThe Wicker Man EnglandPosts: 434MI6 Agent
    zaphod99 wrote:

He was right, he did look awkward running, jumping, getting up,sitting down, shooting a gun, fighting...he also didn't like explosions. Ideally suited to playing James Bond then.

To be fair to Roger he did make his own quiche. ;)
    1.ohmss 2.cr 3.frwl 4.ltk 5.gf 6.tswlm 7.sf 8.op 9.tld 10.dn 11.lald 12.tb 13.fyeo 14.ge 15.mr 16.yolt 17.tnd 18.avtak 19.sp 20.twine 21.qos 22.tmwtgg 23.daf 24.dad
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    ^ now that's a stunt!
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • DutchfingerDutchfinger Holland With LovePosts: 1,240MI6 Agent
    Well as Roger Moore always put it himself: the biggest stunt he had to do in the series was bedding Grace Jones :))
    Better known as DutchBondFan on YouTube. My 007 movie reviews: Recapping 007
    YouTube channel Support my channel on Patreon Twitter Facebook fanpage
  • Virgil37Virgil37 Posts: 1,212MI6 Agent
    Well as Roger Moore always put it himself: the biggest stunt he had to do in the series was bedding Grace Jones :))

I guess we were all thinking about that one, but didn't dare mentioning it. Indeed he didn't use a stunt but he probably would have loved to do so once he realised what "method tricks" Grace Jones used. Read his autobiography. :D
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,793MI6 Agent
    Moore did train himself in breathing the bubbles from a car tyre while underwater and did the scene himself in AVTAK
  • HalconHalcon Zen TemplePosts: 486MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Moore did train himself in breathing the bubbles from a car tyre while underwater and did the scene himself in AVTAK

Yes! This was probably the most 'stunt-ily' thing he did in all of his movies.
    http://www.alternative007.co.uk/128.htm
    I think if anyone reads Roger Moore's Diary on filming LALD,
    You'll find Sir Roger did absolutely all the stunts in the film
    Himself ! :D
    http://www.alternative007.co.uk/128.htm
    I think if anyone reads Roger Moore's Diary on filming LALD,
    You'll find Sir Roger did absolutely all the stunts in the film
    Himself ! :D

I would assume that Roger would have done some of the stunts in TMWTGG as well .... The relatively harder stunts probably started from TSWLM. Prior to that, it is plausible that stuntmen were more used for scenes where they required experts such as in extended underwater sequences in TB
    Stunts can be very complicated, with months of training needed
    not just to over come the technical details but for the stuntman
    To get enough experience in doing it, so it can be done safety. So
    I think that's why many actors are not allowed to do too much. :)
    Stunts can be very complicated, with months of training needed
    not just to over come the technical details but for the stuntman
    To get enough experience in doing it, so it can be done safety. So
    I think that's why many actors are not allowed to do too much. :)

Spot on!