007 odds and ends that you miss

With a film franchise as long as what 007 is, 53 years and 24 movies, it would be obvious that there are some odds and ends that they simply don't do anymore, be it because of the reboot or the time frame it is set in or whatever the reason is that they were stopped.

I'm in the midst of a Bond marathon and here are some of the things that I have noticed:

Bond checking into his hotel room and the first thing that he does is check the room for wire taps/microphones etc.

The last ditch effort: In other words, the main villain is dead and the plot has ended and Bond and that movie's girl are on their vehicle (boat, train or ship) and the lead henchmen attacks.

On a similar note, 007 being caught "on the job" at the end of the movie. The World is Not Enough was the most recent in this case.

What are some that you have noticed and of the ones I've listed, do you miss any of them or are they relics of the early stages of this series?
1, GE 2, CR 3, SF 4, TWINE 5, Spectre 6, TMWTGG 7, DAD 8, LALD 9, AVTAK 10, LTK 11, Octopussy 12, Moonraker 13, TLD 14, GF 15, QOS 16, Tomorrow 17, FYEO 18. TSWLM Not seen much: Dr. No, Russia, Thunderball, Twice, Majesty.

1: Brosnan 2: Craig 3: Moore 4: Dalton 5: Connery and 6: Lazenby

Comments

• zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    I'd like Bond to be given the customary lecture by M or some expert that he is clearly bored with
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    Having many gadgets to do tasks, now cellphones do them, this started in CR.
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • HatThrowingHenchmanHatThrowingHenchman Russia With LovePosts: 1,834MI6 Agent
    I'd like Bond to stay in one place for longer- in the earlier films, there was at least one major location, where 1/3 of the movie took place

I'd like more Gadgets

OTT villains and plots

Bond not being personally connected with his missions

but I have faith the time will come
    "You see Mr.Bond, you can't kill my dreams...but my dreams can kill you.Time to face destiny" - "Time to face gravity"
  • MilleniumForceMilleniumForce LondonPosts: 1,214MI6 Agent
    More bloody Bond theme!
    1.LTK 2.AVTAK 3.OP 4.FYEO 5.TND 6.LALD 7.GE 8.GF 9.TSWLM 10.SPECTRE 11.SF 12.MR 13.YOLT 14.TLD 15.CR (06) 16.TMWTGG 17.TB 18.FRWL 19.TWINE 20.OHMSS 21.DAF 22.DAD 23.QoS 24.NSNA 25.DN 26.CR (67)
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    Bond checking into his hotel room and the first thing that he does is check the room for wire taps/microphones etc.

The last ditch effort: In other words, the main villain is dead and the plot has ended and Bond and that movie's girl are on their vehicle (boat, train or ship) and the lead henchmen attacks.

On a similar note, 007 being caught "on the job" at the end of the movie. The World is Not Enough was the most recent in this case.

These exact 3 things have been on my mind lately. I like your term "The last ditch effort" :))

Does any Bond movie have all 3 of those?

Is AVTAK the last time we saw Bond doing a thorough investigation for wire taps in a hotel room?

DAF, LALD and TMWTGG all had last ditch efforts. I can't think of any since then? Maybe it's a Guy Hamilton thing.

Was Connery ever caught "on the job" at the end of a movie? I know Moore was in TSWLM, MR, and AVTAK.
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Firemass wrote:
    Was Connery ever caught "on the job" at the end of a movie? I know Moore was in TSWLM, MR, and AVTAK.

Add TMWTGG and FYEO to that. It's really a Moore thing. DN didn't have M catching Bond, but the ending is similar to TSWLM, just with Felix.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    More bloody Bond theme!

One thing that's good about Thomas Newman, especially in SP - it's full of it!
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
    More bloody Bond theme!

What are you talking about? Not one of Craig's Bond films has had a decent amount of Bond theme. There have been hints of it in Newman's scores, but not much. Arnold's scores for his Craig films haven't had much Bond theme either, but at least the music he writes is still in the Bond spirit, which is completely lacking from Newman's scores.
    The OST from Spectre IMO has the Bond theme pepper throughout it...

"Better make that two."
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent
    More bloody Bond theme!

And more incidental music that is linked to the main title song! (I know we're heading off topic here though)
    "Any of the opposition around..?"
  • am747am747 Posts: 720MI6 Agent
    To sum up the thread - people want many of the elements from Connery and Moore films .... As they say - Old is Gold :D
  • Agent PurpleAgent Purple Posts: 857MI6 Agent
    am747 wrote:
    Old is Gold :D

am747's philosophy on Bond films in a nutshell.
    "Hostile takeovers. Shall we?"
    New 2020 ranking (for now DAF and FYEO keep their previous placements)
    1. TLD 2. TND 3. GF 4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
    Bond actors to be re-ranked later
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    " These are the Bond films, Mr Bond. All my life I've been in love with
    their Locations, their brilliance, their divine scripts. I welcome any
    enterprise which will increase my love for them. Which is considerable !"

Extract from " Gold-am747". :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    The OST from Spectre IMO has the Bond theme pepper throughout it...

Lightly peppered in parts. That's really not enough. Most of the score lacks the Bond theme. Compare Spectre to your top 5 Bond films and that's hardly any use of the Bond theme. It's well into the lower half of Bond scores in its use of the Bond theme. Of all the Bond composers, Newman has used the Bond theme the least. At least SF has some blantant use of the Bond theme briefly in a a few parts. Spectre only has bits and pieces thrown in. We need more Bond theme like in the Brosnan, Dalton and Moore films. Well, maybe not as much as in the Brosnan films.
  • am747am747 Posts: 720MI6 Agent

:))
  • Agent PurpleAgent Purple Posts: 857MI6 Agent

Nice GF reference!!! :D :007) -{
    "Hostile takeovers. Shall we?"
    New 2020 ranking (for now DAF and FYEO keep their previous placements)
    1. TLD 2. TND 3. GF 4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
    Bond actors to be re-ranked later
  • GoldenEye85GoldenEye85 Posts: 278MI6 Agent
    As I am watching the title sequence for Moonraker, I thought of another one.

The theme song title matching the movie name, and the when the film logo appears at the same time, the singer utters the name in the song.
    1, GE 2, CR 3, SF 4, TWINE 5, Spectre 6, TMWTGG 7, DAD 8, LALD 9, AVTAK 10, LTK 11, Octopussy 12, Moonraker 13, TLD 14, GF 15, QOS 16, Tomorrow 17, FYEO 18. TSWLM Not seen much: Dr. No, Russia, Thunderball, Twice, Majesty.

• eric7064eric7064 USAPosts: 343MI6 Agent
    I thought the checking of the room was staying in only lasted the first few films. In those it was very evident.
  • MajorBoothroydMajorBoothroyd A World Without WantPosts: 81MI6 Agent
    edited December 2015
    Matt S wrote:
    More bloody Bond theme!

What are you talking about? Not one of Craig's Bond films has had a decent amount of Bond theme. There have been hints of it in Newman's scores, but not much. Arnold's scores for his Craig films haven't had much Bond theme either, but at least the music he writes is still in the Bond spirit, which is completely lacking from Newman's scores.
    I take it your not a big craig fan? :v
    "Never let them see you bleed."
    Matt S wrote:

I take it your not a big craig fan? :D

I didn't say anything here about Craig, only about the music. Craig's Bond films have featured very little Bond theme. David Arnold was able to write music with a Bond sound in CR and QOS without using the Bond theme. Thomas Newman hasn't used the Bond theme much either in his two Bond films, and his music completely lacks the Bond sound. Like MilleniumForce, I miss the Bond theme being used a decent amount in the Bond films. Arnold overused it in his three Brosnan films, but Spectre really could have used more than a few hints of the Bond theme. Better to overuse the Bond theme than to only hint at it. And then when Newman does use the Bond theme, he often uses it poorly, like on the bass flute in Mexico. Really? A bass flute for the Bond theme?
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    Firemass wrote:

Add TMWTGG and FYEO to that. It's really a Moore thing. DN didn't have M catching Bond, but the ending is similar to TSWLM, just with Felix.

I would say Connery's endings were about "not being rescued" whereas Moore would be caught with the girl.

TND ending was definitely Connery-esque whereas TWINE was a throwback to Moore era.
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
    Matt S wrote:
    And then when Newman does use the Bond theme, he often uses it poorly, like on the bass flute in Mexico. Really? A bass flute for the Bond theme?

I love subtle usage of the theme as opposed to overt. I think that Arnold from TWINE-on uses the Bond theme in a similar manner. It's there, but it's blended with the other themes to remind you you're watching James Bond.

The overt usage of the Bond theme seemed to stop after OHMSS anyway didn't it?

"Better make that two."
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff

Usage of the original recording of it stopped after OHMSS, but it was still prominent in the scores- eg when Bond chases MayDay through Paris, or rides the camera in TSWLM, etc.
    Matt S wrote:
    And then when Newman does use the Bond theme, he often uses it poorly, like on the bass flute in Mexico. Really? A bass flute for the Bond theme?

I love subtle usage of the theme as opposed to overt. I think that Arnold from TWINE-on uses the Bond theme in a similar manner. It's there, but it's blended with the other themes to remind you you're watching James Bond.

The usage of the Bond theme is far more overt in all of Moore's, Dalton's and Brosnan's films than it is in any of Craig's. OHMSS had overet usage in the PTS, plus the original recording used at the fight at Piz Gloria. DAF uses it probably the least of all the Connery films, though YOLT may come in about the same if you don't count the original recording of the theme awkwardly thrown in.
  • The Wicker ManThe Wicker Man EnglandPosts: 434MI6 Agent
    I miss Bond going into M's office and being sent on a mission that doesn't involve having to dig up Bond's past.
    1.ohmss 2.cr 3.frwl 4.ltk 5.gf 6.tswlm 7.sf 8.op 9.tld 10.dn 11.lald 12.tb 13.fyeo 14.ge 15.mr 16.yolt 17.tnd 18.avtak 19.sp 20.twine 21.qos 22.tmwtgg 23.daf 24.dad
  • JagJag Posts: 1,167MI6 Agent
    One thing from old movies that I don't miss is smoking. Filthy habit! :)
    Who smoked what in the films?

• JagJag Posts: 1,167MI6 Agent
    Who smoked what in the films?

I'd rather forget!
    Jag wrote:
    One thing from old movies that I don't miss is smoking. Filthy habit! :)

I agree. Dalton smokes in TLD? I don't like that!

"Better make that two."
    See, I'm just not bothered by things like that, whether someone smokes on TV, in a movie or a video game, it's either there or it's not and it doesn't make me enjoy it any less if they do.