To all of those who criticize Bond actors for "looking too old"

HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
you may want to have a look at

http://www.people.com/article/carrie-fisher-calls-out-shamers-on-twitter

Carrie Fisher recently has posted this on Twitter:

"Please stop debating about whetherOR not aged well.unfortunately it hurts all of my feelings.My BODY hasnt aged as well as I have.Blow us"
President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!

Comments

• Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    She looks great for 59! -{ :x
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • ThunderRakerThunderRaker Posts: 40MI6 Agent
    I don't think Moore looked terribly old in AVTAK, and honestly I'm glad he does look older, it makes Bond seem as if he's wiser and has more experience :))

On topic of the article, I don't think Carrie Fisher looks bad for 59!
    1. TLD 2. CR 3. OP 4. OHMSS 5. FYEO 6. AVTAK 7. TSWLM 8. GF 9. FRWL 10. SF 11. LTK 12. TB 13. QOS 14. YOLT 15. LALD 16. DN 17. TWINE 18. GE 19. TND 20. MR 21. TMWTGG 22. SP 23. DAF 24. NSNA 25. DAD
    1. Roger 2. Timmy 3. Connery 4. Craig 5. George 6. Pierce
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Looks need to match the character. Roger Moore looked too out-of-shape to be fully believable in what he was doing in FYEO, OP and AVTAK. Moore was excellent at acting in those Bond films, but acting can't make him believable when he's clearly struggling to run up steps in FYEO. For Moore it was his level of fitness, not entirely his age. Daniel Craig looks just as old in SF and SP, but he's in good shape despite him looking like a man in his 50s, so he's believable.

As for Carrie Fisher, her looks fit her character in The Force Awakens. She plays a Leia who has been through a lot and clearly has had and still has a difficult life. Carrie Fisher has been though heavy drugs and heavy smoking, and Leia has been though a rough marriage and war. The two aren't that different.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    To be honest some people when posting on the internet, on whichever
    platform. Seem to forget that they are talking about another person. Who
    Has feelings and can be very hurt by the nasty things some think it's
    hilarious to write.
    Some seem to get off on being confrontational and as nasty as they can
    get. :#
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Someone mentioned it spot on with "keyboard warriors"

I know that I am guilty for criticizing Dalton for his approach (and tears) but hope to stay still on the modest side with that.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • MilleniumForceMilleniumForce LondonPosts: 1,214MI6 Agent
    I actually liked that Moore looked (and WAS) quite old in AVTAK. It's the only Bind film with an 'old Bond'.
    1.LTK 2.AVTAK 3.OP 4.FYEO 5.TND 6.LALD 7.GE 8.GF 9.TSWLM 10.SPECTRE 11.SF 12.MR 13.YOLT 14.TLD 15.CR (06) 16.TMWTGG 17.TB 18.FRWL 19.TWINE 20.OHMSS 21.DAF 22.DAD 23.QoS 24.NSNA 25.DN 26.CR (67)
  • Julius No M.D.Julius No M.D. Posts: 110MI6 Agent
    I'm not against an older Bond but if you need a stunt double to run up a flight of stairs, it's time to pass on the crown.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    I'm now the same age as Sir Rog was in AVTAK (and as David Niven was in CR67 when playing the retired Bond) and I can still run up a flight of stairs no problem. Coming down them, though.... :))
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I too have no problem with stairs, not since the Stannah Stairlift was put in. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    Moore was reasonably acceptable up to A View to a Kill, where his bizarre, wide-eyed leers were just creepy. I recall walking out of the theater with friends, and we all agreed he was just too old to play the part.
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Gassy Man wrote:
    Moore was reasonably acceptable up to A View to a Kill, where his bizarre, wide-eyed leers were just creepy. I recall walking out of the theater with friends, and we all agreed he was just too old to play the part.

"Reasonably acceptable " is both kind, and damning with very faint praise, B-)
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    I don't think I ever even considered the age of the actor! It was a James bond film, it was only as an adult I recognised the actors had aged! And to me this only applies to Sir Roger and Sir Sean.
    Its never bothered me though and still doesn't.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • DutchJamesBondFanDutchJamesBondFan the NetherlandsPosts: 414MI6 Agent
    As a younger child I did thought Moore was too old and his eyes creeped me out, but some recent views made me accept Moore as he is :x No but in the first half of his relationship with Tracy he is more fatherfigure like and not 'I'm Moore and I want you'-style. I think the last scene in the shower is the only scene they even kiss in? And then he did sleep with Mayday but that's because he had to find a way to not get kept. So the script is built around his age so now it's not really a problem, first few seconds I just switch my brain and enjoy the movie! -{
    Don't confuse me with the other DutchBondFan, but be sure to follow his YouTube account. You can read my articles on James Bond Nederland: www.jamesbond.nl/author/gosse/
  • am747am747 Posts: 720MI6 Agent
    If I am not wrong, Bond is supposed to be in the 35 to 45 years old range. Now a younger actor looking old may play the role and an older actor looking young may also play the role .... The criticism usually comes when the actor's looks (not necessarily his age) do not fall in to that range

I think that it is not just the actor(s), but producers and others relevant parties are to be blamed as well
  • CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
    Base on his physical appearance and age I 'm hoping by the time EON recasts the role they will consider Aiden Turner.

AIDEN2.jpg
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,988Quartermasters
    Barbel wrote:
    I'm now the same age as Sir Rog was in AVTAK (and as David Niven was in CR67 when playing the retired Bond) and I can still run up a flight of stairs no problem. Coming down them, though.... :))

I'm now the same age as Connery in NSNA...and know exactly how you feel! :))
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • JagJag Posts: 1,167MI6 Agent
    For me... the older Bond is, the better!
  • Lady IceLady Ice Posts: 279MI6 Agent
    It's not so much Bond in isolation, it's when he's placed next to the Bond girl. An actor can look good for their age but if they're being paired with a woman in their twenties, it's eventually going to look pervy (as in parts of FYEO and AVTK). They could get away with pairing Craig with women in their mid-thirties but if they cast a younger Bond, the age of the Bond girl opposite wouldn't be an issue. Craig looks fine for his age but he clearly looks at least in his mid-forties, could even guess a well-kept fifty.
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    I thought the Dan/ Lea pairing on the edge of creepy and had hoped for more of the age appropriate Monica (sigh) This has more to do with Lea being quite child like in my eyes, and not a reflection on Daniel who looks in fine fettle. It's as much to do with her character as her look.in general I think Daniel is still aways from AVTAK or FYEO creepy.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • DutchfingerDutchfinger Holland With LovePosts: 1,240MI6 Agent
    I recall even Moore himself joked saying something like: "I admit I was around 300 years to old by the end of my tenure as Bond.."

:))
    Better known as DutchBondFan on YouTube. My 007 movie reviews: Recapping 007
    YouTube channel Support my channel on Patreon Twitter Facebook fanpage