James Bond and True Crime Inspirations?

Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,689MI6 Agent
I've been researching this area lately so I thought I would ask my fellow members here if they know of any interesting True Crime influences on the plots, characters and scenarios of either the James Bond films or the original novels.

Perhaps we could collate some kind of a list in this thread? :) -{
"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

Comments

• Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    I'm not sure how many true crime experiences -- a la the Law and Order TV series -- might have inspired Fleming, but there's a fair amount of consensus that he borrowed from experiences, personal and otherwise, working for British Intelligence during World War 2. But he was also inspired by thriller novels and characters prior, Bulldog Drummond often cited, but perhaps also the French OSS 117 novels, which predate Fleming's and are rather remarkable in similarity. Because he was also a journalist and travel writer, Fleming likely would have kept up with current events. I'm sure there are little things here and there that he borrowed. Very few writers make things up out of whole cloth.
  • sniperUKsniperUK UlsterPosts: 594MI6 Agent
    Does this sound familiar ;)

Not long after scrambling into their dingy after the crash Ted and his crew where picked up by an Italian sea plane and made prisoners of war.
    It did not take them long to learn that they would be taken to Taranto in Italy where they would spend the rest of the war as prisoners.
    The thought of their approaching doom spurred them into taking action against their captors. With the watchful eyes of the guard on them and limited communication the worlds first skyjack swung into action.
    They started straight for the radio operator, clearly to make sure no contact was made to the base and successfully took him out. They then overpowered an unexpected guard and managed to get his weapon off him. The first part of their attack was successful but the turning point came when the co-pilot pulled a pistol on them. Luck was on their side however as it was one the Italian’s own comrades that knocked the weapon from his hands in the frantic struggle to regain control. It was after that bit of fortune in the frenzied chaos that they knew the plane was theirs, and Ted wasted no time in taking over the controls.
    New problems now became apparent. The first and more immediate issue was that they were fast running low on fuel. After asking the Italian Engineer kindly (at gunpoint) to switch to reserves and by changing their route, flying rather to their base at Malta instead of the African coast, this first problem was quickly taken care of. Next was the problem of flying an Italian plane. Ted’s experience was sufficient to fly an Italian plane but to the allies this was an enemy aircraft fast approaching the Malta coast. Soon there were spitfires gunning them down. Normally the sight of spitfires off the wing of his torpedo bomber would have been comforting, however this was clearly not a Bristol Beaufort bomber and with holes being shot in his tail this was definitely not comforting. Ted hurled the first pilot back into his seat and ordered him in hurried sign-language to land in the sea.
    One of the men then whipped off his shirt and took his vest — the only white article he had — and waved it out of the window making it clear that they had come to surrender — albeit to their own side!
    The first wave of spits managed to do fair damage to the plane but they landed safely and the worlds 1st skyjack was over.
    Astonished to see four RAF’s in the Italian plane a member of the launch team towing them back to St Paul’s Bay said “We thought it was old Mussolini coming to give himself up!”
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1966_Palomares_B-52_crash
    In a way of showing how, sometimes Bond films can be more possible than we
    think. ;)
    An American bomber crashed in 1966, one of its nuclear bombs was missing for
    Around 10 weeks.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berwyn_Mountain_UFO_incident
    Berwyn Mountain UFO incident
    Not to go too off subject but this is a famous "crashed UFO" incident.
    Although I think it's more likely to have been a military crash and
    recovery operation, possibly another nuclear accident ?
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."