Chain Letters?

Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,689MI6 Agent
I remember my late father getting a chain letter back in the mid-1990s when I was still a child of about ten or so. It was a handwritten letter saying that if the reader of the letter did not make a copy of the letter and pass it on to ten/twenty people terrible things would happen rather than all the good fortune that flowed from the letter. My father thought it was from a woman and he ended up either burning it or tearing it up. It's something that always sticks in my mind.

Some chain letters are harmless (though a waste of one's time!), others can be religious oriented and some may even be malicious.

I'm sure that some members here have also received these letters although there are now chain emails too.

Please share any interesting stories about such chain letters here in this thread. :) -{

Example of a chain letter:

st.jude.jpg
"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

Comments

• LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    I'm going to build a Jade novel around something like this one of these days... ;)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,689MI6 Agent
    I'm going to build a Jade novel around something like this one of these days... ;)

Yes, I thought it would be an interesting thing to have in a Bond novel or film too. I'm surprised it's not been used thus far.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • The_CommanderThe_Commander EnglandPosts: 245MI6 Agent
    And I eagerly looked at this thread hoping to see a discussion on the classic and much missed (in this household) TV gameshow, hosted by the late, great Jeremy Beadle. :)) :))

Oh well. ;%
    1:Sf, 2:NTTD, 3:TSWLM, 4:CR, 5:OHMSS
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I once received a chain email, same thing only eelectronic, I simply deleted it.
    ( as I live for danger) :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,689MI6 Agent
    And I eagerly looked at this thread hoping to see a discussion on the classic and much missed (in this household) TV gameshow, hosted by the late, great Jeremy Beadle. :)) :))

Oh well. ;%

Sorry to disappoint you Commander! I was going to make reference to that in my OP there but I was too young to remember it anyway! Every time I did an Internet search on chain letters that bloody show came up. :))
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,274MI6 Agent
    The TV Times agony aunt columnist Katy Boyle allowed people to send her chain letters as she was happy enough to receive and bin them. That was nice of her, taking the pressure of the mentally vulnerable. Then again, she's dead now, so you never know... :# :D
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    edited February 2016
    The TV Times agony aunt columnist Katy Boyle allowed people to send her chain letters as she was happy enough to receive and bin them. That was nice of her, taking the pressure of the mentally vulnerable. Then again, she's dead now, so you never know... :# :D

Believe it or not, Nap she's actually still alive, and happily in her 90th year to boot!:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katie_Boyle

I was going to say in the OP that I think there was a woman on the BBC who offered a similar service and I noticed in a newspaper a while back a question to the effect that did anything bad ever happen to her? I personally doubt it! :D
    An American rant on Chain Letters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNv5rk22TZ4
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    This thread reminds me of the episode of Home Improvement where Tim throws out a chain letter and he ends up having all sorts of bad luck. Hilarious episode.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
    Mr Martini wrote:
    This thread reminds me of the episode of Home Improvement where Tim throws out a chain letter and he ends up having all sorts of bad luck. Hilarious episode.

Yes, my reach for this thread topic confirmed that chain letters feature a lot in TV shows and You Tube TV channels too. They would be a perfect fit for a new Bond film or novel too in my view. :) -{
    Anyone else want to share their experiences of chain letters with me here? :)