Was the Janus crime syndicate supposed to play out past Goldeneye?

armenianmoviemanarmenianmovieman The 818Posts: 674MI6 Agent
I know Trevelyan dies and the movie doesn't really mention the organization outright other than a few exposition lines but did they ever intend to play this one out?

Watching Goldeneye again, and perhaps its because of Spectre and Hydra setting up for future movies for the Marvel Cinematic Universe and modern Bond, but lately I've been wondering if they left it open or wanted it to, as they finally got the Bond rights and it was the first Bond movie in 6 years: Martin Campbell would later direct a similar restart in Bond that featured such an organization that was meant to play out over several flicks.
Yes. Consssssiderably.

Comments

• Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    Well, the same observation could be made about Auric Enterprises, Stromberg Lines, Drax Enterprises or King Industries. Even with the head honchos gone, any of those organisations coukd continue and cause trouble. Quantum (which I still think had a cout de tat within it) is another one.
    Since the key characters were killed though, and the Radio teliscope was either overun or destroyed, I think it was meant to be a closed book. Carver Media (there's another one!) picked up anew where the others had previously been.
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • MarcAngeDracoMarcAngeDraco Piz GloriaPosts: 564MI6 Agent
    Not necessarily Thunderbird. Janus is a crime syndicate solely. King Industries, Auric Enterprises, Drax Enterprises, Stromberg Lines, Carver Media, Zorin Industries, etc. are all services - oil, space shuttles, marine research, media, etc. but they're headed/inherited by nutcases and used as a front for their dirty work. The Janus crime syndicate isn't dabbling in any other business other than crime - its recruits are vengeful double agents and it's an organisation like SPECTRE or even Draco's syndicate.

Perhaps it was intended to be armenian.. It could have been something Jeffrey Caine or Michael France intended on continuing had they had a jab at what would become TND. I'm sure if it was Feinstein's idea he would have implemented it somewhere in TND, or even TWINE, where I can see it working with Elektra - faking her death during her kidnapping only to resurface to kill her dad and take control of King Industries.
    Film: Tomorrow Never Dies | Girl: Teresa di Vicenzo | Villain: Max Zorin | Car: Aston Martin Volante | Novel: You Only Live Twice | Bond: Sir Sean Connery
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    From what I could tell, the Janus syndicate was just a handful of people and not on the order of Spectre or even Quantum.
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    Since the last time Bond appeared on the screen, the Iron Curtain fell (1989, the same year LTK was released) and in the following years up to 1995 we saw the rise of the new Russian economy, including their phenomenal version of organized crime. Because GE played up the "new world, new enemies" theme, the inclusion of a Russia-based European crime syndicate was central to the movie's plot, but as said, nothing in the scale of a SPECTRE...in fact, those two kinds of crime syndicates could not have been any more different along the spectrum and scale within the Bond universe.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • Colonel ShatnerColonel Shatner Chavtastic Bristol, BritainPosts: 574MI6 Agent
    Gassy Man wrote:
    From what I could tell, the Janus syndicate was just a handful of people and not on the order of Spectre or even Quantum.

Well the Janus group had the ability to recruit dozens maybe hundreds of computer technicians, support staff, and private security troops to man its elaborate, massive radio dish complex in Cuba (I doubt Janus built that place from the ground up, most probably a former Soviet facility re-occupied and renovated by Trevelyan's crew like his armoured missile train).

However until that point in the film it was shown as a relatively shallow conspiracy between a crooked Russian Fed general and former 00 agent with a handful of bodyguards and thugs working alongside Xenia Onatopp, with enough behind the scenes clout to sic Russian military police onto Bond and Natalya through bribery and/or manipulation.
    'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...'