Why has there never been a biography of Richard Maibaum written?

Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent
edited March 2016 in The James Bond Films
I've been wondering about this over the last while. Given Richard Maibaum's importance as a scriptwriter on the James Bond films between 1962 and 1989 isn't it exceedingly odd that there's never been an official or even unofficial biography written about the man who adapted and wrote screenplays for many of the earlier James Bond films?

I suppose that his contributions to scripts are covered in books like Charles Helfenstein's ones on OHMSS and TLD and Some Kind of Hero (2015) probably goes in-depth on this too, but I still think it would be great if we had a biography of the late, great man himself - Richard Maibaum.
"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

Comments

• heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    Agreed. Some more background on his 80s work would be appreciated by me - because some of those plots are more complicated with more and more cooks entering the broth.
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    edited March 2016
    I think the success of any biography of an important Bond contributor would depend if there are enough interesting events in the person's life and if those events are relevant enough to the prospective reader. Case in point, the bios and autobiographies I've read about Vic Armstrong (my favorite because it seemed the most varied with so many famous projects), Derek Meddings, Syd Cain and Bob Simmons were really interesting because of their Bond involvement as well as their work in other high-profile movies.

I have to confess all I know about Richard Maibaum is what has been shown in the John Cork featurettes and of course what's in the books about the film series, but my only takeaway is that he was a New York-based writer, which in itself evokes so much about that business associated with that geography in a particular time (I think of Mario Puzo, Kurt Vonnegut and Neil Simon). Maibaum's role was pivotal in the creation and establishment of the series, but it seems his later participation was less pronounced of course because of availability, but there was also the introduction of other writers and "new ideas" that the producers constantly wanted to infuse because of the changing times.

Similarly with Ken Adams, he had a prolific body of work outside of the Bond series, but his involvement in the series isn't actually as wide as it generally seems, so to a Bond fan there would only be that handful of Bond movies to serve as tentpoles in a narrative about his life and career.

Other books of Bond personalities I'm interested in reading are Cubby's and Christopher Wood's, of which reviews I've read were interesting enough even though Woods' role in the Bond world is pretty limited.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,314Chief of Staff
    There's plenty on Maibaum in this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Goldfinger-Ultimate-Bloomsbury-Movie-Guide/dp/0747538883 which I see is available very cheaply at the moment.
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    There's plenty on Maibaum in this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Goldfinger-Ultimate-Bloomsbury-Movie-Guide/dp/0747538883 which I see is available very cheaply at the moment.

Yes, I bought that excellent little book back in November 2001. It's a great read and resource and I highly recommend it to readers here. :) -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).