Goldeneye PTS timeline--why '86?

It is curious that the filmmakers chose 1986 for the pre-titles sequence setting of GE. This would be a year before Timothy Dalton took over as Bond.

Why didn't they choose 1990, a time setting after Dalton was done? Choosing 1986 could be seen as a rebuke to Dalton, like he should not have been Bond and Brosnan was always their first choice.

Additionally, 1990 would have been better in that Brosnan's age wouldn't work against him. Looking the same in '90 and '95 sequences wouldn't be too much to accept, but he looks too old for the '86 sequences. In '90 the Soviet Union was still plugging along, so that would work, and there would still be plenty of time between '90 and '95 for Orumov to become a general. Plus, '90 is early enough for Janus Syndicate to emerge as a major arms dealer during the '91 Gulf War (as referenced in the briefing scene with M).

The only reason I can see to choose 1986 is Sean Bean. He's just too young to play a role that, in the '95 scenes, demands that we accept him as being over 50 years old. Remember, he lived through the British betrayal and Stalin's retribution at the end of WWII.

However, he looks the right age for the '86 sequences, and by the '95 parts he's got scars that help obscure the actor's youth.

The PTS is exciting, but I would have found a way during rewrites to jettison the '86 scenes. No other Bond film covers more than a few months of time passing during the story, and most just span a few days. GE tries to do too much.

Comments

• heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    Perhaps 4-5 years (1990/91) would be too close for Bond/Trevelyn to get over things and move on. In which Trevelyn would have enough time to fully hide in the shadows.

Being in 1986 means that it occurs as a mission that just wasn't covered in another film - like Bond telling the story about M in Japan from FRWL. I think it would be more of a problem if they chose a year that was one where a film was released.
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    I thought they chose 1986 because that's when Brosnan was first hired as Bond.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,510Chief of Staff
    Matt S wrote:

Yes...that was their little 'inside gag'...
    YNWA 97
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    The PTS is exciting, but I would have found a way during rewrites to jettison the '86 scenes.  No other Bond film covers more than a few months of time passing during the story, and most just span a few days. 

All they had to do was not include the subtitle that said "nine years later" and I'm sure the movie would have been just fine…actually better without it! I doubt many Bond fans would even wonder how much time had elapsed between the PTS and the rest of the movie.
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,669MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

Well spotted! I can't recall now if I'd ever considered that before. :) -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • MilleniumForceMilleniumForce LondonPosts: 1,214MI6 Agent
    I don't think it would have been set after LTK, as Bond is being evaluated to rejoin MI6 after LTK. That's why it's a new M to him (this is something I've heard, and I liked it so that's how I see it.)
    1.LTK 2.AVTAK 3.OP 4.FYEO 5.TND 6.LALD 7.GE 8.GF 9.TSWLM 10.SPECTRE 11.SF 12.MR 13.YOLT 14.TLD 15.CR (06) 16.TMWTGG 17.TB 18.FRWL 19.TWINE 20.OHMSS 21.DAF 22.DAD 23.QoS 24.NSNA 25.DN 26.CR (67)
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    I'd never noticed that either and had no idea that it was an inside joke. Thanks for pointing it out.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Didn't know it was an official joke, but on first viewing. I did work out the maths. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    ?..Sean Bean. He's just too young to play a role that, in the '95 scenes, demands that we accept him as being over 50 years old. Remember, he lived through the British betrayal and Stalin's retribution at the end of WWII.

Well written and thoughtful piece, Antiamadeus.

However it's not explicitly stated that he lived through the British betrayal. When Trevelyan says "MI6 figured I was too young to remember", he's referring to his knowledge of the real reason his fathermurdered his mother and committed suicide. So I don't think we're supposed to accept he's over fifty.

My take is also the whole Dalton/Brosnan gag too - they just couldn't resist, much like the Hildebrand gag in SPECTRE. And I wonder if the driver of the Fiat 500 in Rome will turn up again in the next film... :))
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • lueth2048lueth2048 Posts: 120MI6 Agent
    I saw Goldeneye the day it opened and I remember wondering, during the PTS, if the Bond production team hadn't heard the news of the breakup of the Soviet Union.
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    Firemass wrote:
    The PTS is exciting, but I would have found a way during rewrites to jettison the '86 scenes.  No other Bond film covers more than a few months of time passing during the story, and most just span a few days. 

All they had to do was not include the subtitle that said "nine years later" and I'm sure the movie would have been just fine…actually better without it! I doubt many Bond fans would even wonder how much time had elapsed between the PTS and the rest of the movie.

Besides the inside joke thing, if they didn't include something to show years have passed, it might of looked like to the audience that Janus sprang up overnight. I think it works better to have Janus become a crime syndicate overtime. It also give Bond and MI6 time to forget about Alex.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,669MI6 Agent
    lueth2048 wrote:
    I saw Goldeneye the day it opened and I remember wondering, during the PTS, if the Bond production team hadn't heard the news of the breakup of the Soviet Union.

I'd hope that Eon Productions weren't that incompetent! :))
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    lueth2048 wrote:

Good point. In short of having to put in the video, the "9 years later" was shown after PTS, right? If so and if there was no indication at the beginning of when the PTS was set, a viewer would wonder why Soviet were being featured unless of course they're post-Soviet Union forces...until you see "9 years later."
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • lueth2048lueth2048 Posts: 120MI6 Agent
    superado wrote:
    lueth2048 wrote:

Good point. In short of having to put in the video, the "9 years later" was shown after PTS, right? If so and if there was no indication at the beginning of when the PTS was set, a viewer would wonder why Soviet were being featured unless of course they're post-Soviet Union forces...until you see "9 years later."

I probably did a double take when I saw 'USSR' on-screen.
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

Interesting. Is this from someone in EON?
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    Is it a gag? Or did they just have to choose a year circa 10 years ago that wasn't in conjunction with an EON release?
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Is it a gag? Or did they just have to choose a year circa 10 years ago that wasn't in conjunction with an EON release?
    Overanalyzation. :))
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • armenianmoviemanarmenianmovieman The 818Posts: 674MI6 Agent
    It's just a good few years before the USSR fell, and the action continues a few good years after, serving the whole post-Cold War theme.....

Oh, and enough time for Janus to build up his crime organization.
    Yes. Consssssiderably.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,510Chief of Staff
    superado wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

I think it was from Michael France...a sly wink as it were...
    YNWA 97
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,764MI6 Agent
    In 1986 the cold war was still cold, by 1990 it was effectively over. It's that simple.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Given how recently a Politician from Portugal was caught passing NATO secrets
    to the Russians, I say the cold war " Never went away " ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Sir Miles wrote:
    superado wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

At the risk of overthinking this (which, btw, is what keeps AJB interesting :)) ), beyond the idea of Brosnan's second chance I wonder if France and/or EON intended that "wink" to signify that they are redeeming the series from its dip during the Dalton experiment, and bringing back the fun and cool Bond?
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,210Chief of Staff
    superado wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:
    superado wrote:

At the risk of overthinking this (which, btw, is what keeps AJB interesting :)) ), beyond the idea of Brosnan's second chance I wonder if France and/or EON intended that "wink" to signify that they are redeeming the series from its dip during the Dalton experiment, and bringing back the fun and cool Bond?

An earlier discussion on this: http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/45693/strangest-fan-theories-youve-heard/page/2/

And a mind-warping one: http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/45515/an-exploration-of-timeline-theories/
    superado wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:
    superado wrote:

Yes, I've seen that suggestion before either on AJB or MI6. I think it was said on here, though. :) -{
    Barbel wrote:
    superado wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

An earlier discussion on this: http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/45693/strangest-fan-theories-youve-heard/page/2/

And a mind-warping one: http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/45515/an-exploration-of-timeline-theories/

Noooo! Not the code name theory...what have I done?!?! I just got rickrolled by Barbel :))
  • MilleniumForceMilleniumForce LondonPosts: 1,214MI6 Agent
    Hmm, having just had a quick thought about this, I have come up with a theory.

In 1986, Bond lost his best friend, Alec.

That's why, during TLD and LTK, the movies are darker than the previous ones; he's lost another person he cares for, and then he nearly loses Felix as well.

So, although GE starts off dark like a Dalton film, by the time the film ends, Bond is back to his normal self; he's found out Alec not onky betrayed him, but never died. This makes him less guilty and less depressed, therefore the following Brosnan films are much more light hearted.
    1.LTK 2.AVTAK 3.OP 4.FYEO 5.TND 6.LALD 7.GE 8.GF 9.TSWLM 10.SPECTRE 11.SF 12.MR 13.YOLT 14.TLD 15.CR (06) 16.TMWTGG 17.TB 18.FRWL 19.TWINE 20.OHMSS 21.DAF 22.DAD 23.QoS 24.NSNA 25.DN 26.CR (67)
    Hmm, having just had a quick thought about this, I have come up with a theory.

In 1986, Bond lost his best friend, Alec.

That's why, during TLD and LTK, the movies are darker than the previous ones; he's lost another person he cares for, and then he nearly loses Felix as well.

So, although GE starts off dark like a Dalton film, by the time the film ends, Bond is back to his normal self; he's found out Alec not onky betrayed him, but never died. This makes him less guilty and less depressed, therefore the following Brosnan films are much more light hearted.

Going with that theory, a week before the Arkangel mission when the world of Bond was still okay, I can imagine Bond and Trevelyan were kicking back at a outdoor karaoke bar and Bond says, "Alec, wanna bet I can make that pigeon do a double-take?"
    superado wrote:
    Barbel wrote:

Noooo! Not the code name theory...what have I done?!?! I just got rickrolled by Barbel :))

Ha! Go to Hardyboy's post, no 31, and you'll see what I was linking to. In the second link, the GE stuff comes up on page 2.
    Barbel wrote:
    superado wrote:
    Barbel wrote:

Ha! Go to Hardyboy's post, no 31, and you'll see what I was linking to. In the second link, the GE stuff comes up on page 2.

If that were true, couldn't they have waited until Cubby passed on before doing that, considering how much he loved TD!
    Maybe they just didn't tell him....