Self defence videos and tips

ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
Thought it might be interesting to have a thread for posting any good self defence
or fighting moves. Along with any tips and advice.

https://youtu.be/BZF7vJfsshQ
3 Dangerous Moves to Win Any Street Fight

https://youtu.be/WQO0aZnGnaI
Kung Fu Techniques : Pressure Points in Chinese Martial Arts

Although I do understand that learning a fighting system is the best way ;)
But who knows , some advice might just help someone, sometime. :)
"I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."

Comments

• superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    Running away is pretty bloody good :))
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    https://youtu.be/TJxGi8bizEg
    Ecky Thump, may suit you better, grasshopper. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • 00730073 COPPosts: 1,010MI6 Agent
    Thought it might be interesting to have a thread for posting any good self defence
    or fighting moves. Along with any tips and advice.

https://youtu.be/BZF7vJfsshQ
    3 Dangerous Moves to Win Any Street Fight

https://youtu.be/WQO0aZnGnaI
    Kung Fu Techniques : Pressure Points in Chinese Martial Arts

Although I do understand that learning a fighting system is the best way ;)
    But who knows , some advice might just help someone, sometime. :)

Well if you gotta watch vids. then I'd recommend the Funker Tactical channel over at the tuub. That being said: nothing can replace daily practice, because we're talking about perishable skills here. And that is after you've gotten couple of years of quality instruction from someone who knows his stuff.
    "I mean, she almost kills bond...with her ass."
    -Mr Arlington Beech
    I too said that learning a fighting system was the best way in my OP ;)
    and like Supperdaddy pointed out, running away is also a very sensible
    option.
    I simply thought it would be an interesting exercise, to see if there were any
    useful tips or easy techniques, that just might help someone. :)
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,671MI6 Agent
    It's certainly an interesting idea for a thread - I wish it every success.

Bond had some background in karate in the Goldfinger novel and brought judo to Eton in the You Only Live Twice novel.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    Thanks SM, it's only for entertainment value. ;)
    Although I'm an old Karate man myself ( Wado Ryu) but I've
    Also mixed in other styles, I remember being told to learn one
    Grappling technique, as you'll end up on the ground at some point. :))
    Funny you should bring up both Karate and running away; in Finnish running away is karata! I had a teacher in school, this big, bald, BAMF and us guys had all these rumors about him, and when ever someone asked him if he "had a black belt" he'd say "No, I have black sneakers in Karata!"
    -Mr Arlington Beech
    :)) whatever works.
  • Le SamouraiLe Samourai Honolulu, HIPosts: 573MI6 Agent
    I call shenanigans. In neither of those two videos does the instructor demonstrate their very questionable techniques against an aggressive, non-compliant opponent. Let me see them put on helmets and gloves and pull those moves off in sparring.

Here's a better example. Note that the instructor, Burton Richardson, demos the technique and shows it being used in sparring. Not especially fancy, but it works. I've done this move myself. And full disclosure: I am a longtime student of Burton's.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReyFAfUUR6I
    —Le Samourai

A Gent in Training.... A blog about my continuing efforts to be improve myself, be a better person, and lead a good life. It incorporates such far flung topics as fitness, self defense, music, style, food and drink, and personal philosophy.
    Agent In Training
    Really interesting and entertaining video. -{
    https://youtu.be/_julAM3Mw14
    Just to show my level of deadly skill. ;)
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,153MI6 Agent
    I always found the best form of self defence was to make friends with the hardest bloke in the pub :D
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
    I think the "Hardest" bloke, could have a double meaning ! :D
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    edited May 2016
    Note that the instructor, Burton Richardson, demos the technique and shows it being used in sparring. Not especially fancy, but it works. I've done this move myself. And full disclosure: I am a longtime student of Burton's.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReyFAfUUR6I
    I have great respect for Burton Richardson. I can't tell you how many articles of his have given me little tips here & there in my quest to absorb every tiny bit of Wing Chun I could- he's the real deal. -{
    Tell him thanks from one more fan next time you talk to him. :D

And...
    Chrisisall's Zen & The Art Motorcycle Martial Arts:
    No one's ever going to hit you who's smaller & weaker than you. You will face more mass + force than you have or can generate.
    Therefore, speed of movement & thought is essential.

All other martial concepts I embrace flow from this precept.
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
    edited May 2016
    I always found the best form of self defence was to make friends with the hardest bloke in the pub :D

Long time ago, when I was in the Reserve Officer School in Hamina Finland, the locals had this "sport" in English sense, like fox hunting: they used to beat up drunk officer students caught alone in town at night. We were easy to spot because regulation required us to be in uniform on leave. Well one night a I was alone in pub enjoying a cold one, when this big hard looking montain of a man sat in to my table an asked me if I'd noticed that folks were staring me? It was the kind moment when you feel that, to borrow from Bon Scott, some one walked across your grave and you wished that sun would shine.
    So I tried to look friendly and nice and said (trying hard to hide my Helsinki accent, another red flag in the boonies), that "no what was there to stare at me in anyways?". So the bloke said he and his friends made a bet, and he pointed to these 3 other hard arses in his table. At that point my mouth was drier than a parrots slipper and I only managed a weak "so?".
    "Yes" he continued "your name is so-and-so and you play middle linebacker in the xxxxxxxx number 50 am I right?" I was playing american footballl in our Finnish championship league those days, and that bloke had recognized me. Phewww, what a break, ten seconds before I was dead for sure, and now this bloke had won a bet about me! Those other guys were also players from the local division 2 team. That night I drank for free and later on got to go to parties that were strictly no go for the other officer students. After I made friends with that guy I needed not to fear a man or a bar in Hamina!

Now about the self defense aspect of this story: running away would not have worked because they were all ready on to me, fighting? nah, only Jack Reacher could have managed that, that time I made friends, but what if I hadn't? My failure was my lack of situational awareness, I was oblivious to my surroundings and in trouble because of that. It is said that best way to handle trouble is to avoid it, in order to do this you have to see it coming.

Situational awerenes, the doorway into OODA loop, that gets my vote for the best SD technique!
    -Mr Arlington Beech
    Go for it, Stag :)
    :))
    My older brother said if needed he's ask the guy
    " What did you day ?"
    Then while the guy was repeating it, he punch him ! :D
    Use gravity. Then let Mother Earth do the rest. :))
    To digress into blatant self-promotion... Last week a local newspaper ran an article on Filipino Martial Arts featuring a few quotes and images of yours truly. Image is below, and here is a link to the PDF: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2DcWAu-XZIKYm9YczhNbjVuYk0

Marine_Star.jpg
    —Le Samourai

A Gent in Training.... A blog about my continuing efforts to be improve myself, be a better person, and lead a good life. It incorporates such far flung topics as fitness, self defense, music, style, food and drink, and personal philosophy.
    Agent In Training
    Awesome! {[]
    To digress into blatant self-promotion... Last week a local newspaper ran an article on Filipino Martial Arts featuring a few quotes and images of yours truly. Image is below, and here is a link to the PDF: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2DcWAu-XZIKYm9YczhNbjVuYk0

Marine_Star.jpg

That's really interesting, LS, my son does a weekly class in martial arts here in The Philippines.

Marine_Star.jpg

That's really interesting, LS, my son does a weekly class in martial arts here in The Philippines.

Thanks! And glad to hear about your son. One of the themes of the excellent documentary The Bladed Hand: The Global Impact of the Filipino Martial Arts is that Filipino Martial Arts are somewhat unfashionable in The Philippines, which I find rather sad.
    —Le Samourai

Agent In Training
    stag wrote:
    Perhaps not appropriate to this thread but here are of items British hooligans would arm themselves with when fighting.

In the 1970s, a lot would carry this item:

Flick_Comb_70s_Design_product_image.jpg

A flick comb. Unless intent could be proved they could be carried without fear of arrest. They were nasty & vicious items used for slashing as opposed to anything else & you can see that they were effective in that role. Some people used to grind the teeth into what amounted to a blade but they were dealt with accordingly. (BTW while looking for an image I saw that these things are still being sold!)

As a weapon these dried up in the 80s. Later on - when credit cards came into widespread use, hooligans would chamfer one edge & use that for slashing. They were carried about the person where they could be quickly retrieved.

There were also instances of people using bracelets - an innocent item at first glance - however these were commercially available items (if you knew where to look) which quickly adapted into a knuckle duster.

Jif is a brand of lemon juice which comes in a lemon shaped container. Easily concealed in the hand, quite a few people replaced the lemon with ammonia & would squirt them into the eyes of their victim. I remember one offender actually using one to 'take out' three opponents at once.
    Nearly anything can be weaponized. I like the ground- it's usually just lying around everywhere. :D
    Yes, I found it interesting watching the first Jason Bourne film, as I remember being
    taught a few tricks on how to weaponize some everday objects.
    Yes, I found it interesting watching the first Jason Bourne film, as I remember being
    Okay, right this second what do I have? Pocket change to launch at eyes, a metal credit card carrier to throw, and of course my deadly hands of Kung-Fu.... :))
    Hey, if Macgyver can do it ..... :))

Matt Damon trains in Filipino Martial Arts (as well as Western boxing) for the Bourne films, and a big part of FMA is learning to see virtually everything as a potential weapon. It's one reason I love the art.
    —Le Samourai

Agent In Training
    and a big part of FMA is learning to see virtually everything as a potential weapon.

I've had to learn to be very nimble dodging the cutlery and crockery thrown at me by Mrs CHB :))
    That's why for " Men's self-defense" it's so important to have a
    Study, shed or man cave ! :))
    The man-cave is the most important room in the house :))