The 'Murder, She Wrote' Discussion and Appreciation Thread

Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,686MI6 Agent
murder-she-wrote-title-art.png

I'm starting this thread hoping to get a good appreciation/discussion topic going on the US TV detective mystery show Murder, She Wrote starring Angela Lansbury as amateur sleuth and crime fiction author Mrs Jessica Fletcher.

I hope there are some fans out there. I'm currently working my way through Season 1 of this show on DVD and it's a lot better than I expected it to be. I'm more of a Columbo fan but Murder, She Wrote was created by the same people.

Murder, She Wrote ran from 1984 until 1996 and there are an amazing 264 episodes, as well as 4 TV movies, the last of which appeared in 2003.

First of all, I'd be interested in fellow members telling me their favourite episodes of the show...
"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

Comments

• hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent
    I googled Angela Lansbury, out of interest and i was amazed to find out that she is British!

I enjoyed watching it as a child. I still enjoy it now. I like spotting Bond alumni. Not sure about the later episodes with the claims investigator though.
    Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,686MI6 Agent
    Yes, happily Angela Lansbury celebrated her 90th birthday last year. :) -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    I'm another one who enjoys the programme, I like how it evolved and developed.

Ms Lansbury explained in a documentary on sleuths that when the series was proposed to her, she recommended Jessica Fletcher be from New England to accommodate her natural speaking voice. The concept of Cabot Cove followed from that.
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Angela Lansbury was brilliant as Jessica B Fletcher. ( B for Beatrix, it's a standard quiz question ) ;)
    I found the show entertaining, although a little easy to solve, although I think that was one of the points
    of the series, it was meant to be fun. :)
    I can't remember the name of the episode but I did enjoy the one where the clues seem to be inconsistent.
    Until Jessica worked out there was in fact a group of killers all working together.
    On a personal note, many have said my wife bears a striking resemblance to a young Ms Lansbury so
    I'll continue to strike her untill she resembles a young Angelina Jolie. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,418Quartermasters
    I used to watch Murder, She Wrote when it was on TV in the early 90s but I was too young to really follow what was happening and I haven't revisited it since then. But I still love listening to John Addison's theme tune, which I have on the album 'Film Music of John Addison' by Chandos Music.
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,183MI6 Agent
    I've never seen the series but the books used to sell very well for me, I will try and catch some episodes.
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Don't know if it's been mentioned but there was talk of a remake of the series.
    Only with Jessica being a nurse in a city hospital ?
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • IA-SteveBIA-SteveB IowaPosts: 62MI6 Agent
    There is quite a large series of novels based on the series as well. I was surprised at how many!
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    Don't know if it's been mentioned but there was talk of a remake of the series.
    Only with Jessica being a nurse in a city hospital ?

Sounds like a duff conjoined remake of Murder She Wrote fused with Diagnosis Murder. - Hey, Dr Sloan working with Jessica Fletcher! Now that is a two part episode I'd have loved to see.
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?