Predict what order they will be used

JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
The remaining Fleming titles:

Risico
The Property Of A Lady
The Hildebrand Rarity
007 In New York

What order do you think these remaining Fleming titles will be used for film titles?

My prediction:

1st - The Property Of A Lady - I would even argue that this might happen in the next bond film, as it would be fitting for the new bond actor to kick off with a Fleming title like DC did (If DC has left that is)

2nd - The Hildebrand Rarity - It's a very awkward sounding one, but I believe that if they plan to use up all of the remaining Fleming titles, they would not want to 'end' on this one. They could easily come up with some good ideas for it anyway

(Before I get to the next one, I'm gonna say that "007 In New York" will never be used. But if it does, it would definitely be used last).

3rd - Risico - Because it's a good one to end it on!

*They MIGHT use the alternate title for 007 In New York "Agent In New York". Or just something with "New York" in the title. Afterall, they never properly used "From A View To A Kill" as they omitted the word From.

What do you think?

Also, do you think they will ever use the non-Fleming titles?
Colonel Sun would have a good chance if it wasn't for Colonel Moon in DAD
1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby

Comments

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,689MI6 Agent
    The original title for Ian Fleming's '007 in New York' was 'Reflections in a Carey Cadillac' but I doubt they'd ever use that one either.

I'd like to see 'The Property of A Lady' used next as well as I think it would be a good fit with the more personal stories of the Daniel Craig era (assuming he returns as Bond of course!). I'd also love to see another auction scene in a Bond film after the one in OP assuming they faithfully adapt the short story itself.

I'd be happy with 'Risico' too but I doubt they'll use 'The Hildebrand Rarity' after it featured in Spectre. Perhaps that was their way of getting rid of it?!
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • SilentSpySilentSpy Private Exotic AreaPosts: 765MI6 Agent
    Would they use titles that were used already or mentioned in the movies? I'm thinking they wouldn't use Hildebrand Rarity and Property Of A Lady because of that.
    "Better late than never."
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    SilentSpy wrote:
    Would they use titles that were used already or mentioned in the movies? I'm thinking they wouldn't use Hildebrand Rarity and Property Of A Lady because of that.

Yep. "The World Is Not Enough" is mentioned in OHMSS.
    "Licence To Kill" and "SPECTRE" are mentioned in several movies.
    "For Your Eyes Only" has popped up a bit, kind of.
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
    Jarvio wrote:
    SilentSpy wrote:

Yep. "The World Is Not Enough" is mentioned in OHMSS.
    "Licence To Kill" and "SPECTRE" are mentioned in several movies.
    "For Your Eyes Only" has popped up a bit, kind of.

Technically The World is not Enough doesn't count because that's not a book title. Did they ever say that they wouldn't use non Fleming book titles? We are very close to them having to come up with clever titles on their own.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,307Chief of Staff
    Michael G Wilson, 2008:

Q) HAVE YOU EVER CONSIDERED USING, FOR INSTANCE, THE JOHN GARDNER NOVELS AS THE BASIS FOR FILMS?

A) I haven’t…I read many of the John Gardner novels, and now there’s another fellow writing them, but I haven’t felt they have the things that would make good films.

http://cinefantastiqueonline.com/2008/11/producing-007-a-retrospective-interview-with-michael-g-wilson/
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    I'm not sure how it works, but I'd imagine they would come up with the story first, and only if one of the remaining Fleming titles fitted, would they consider using it.

But yes, Jarvio I agree with your order. -{
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • MilleniumForceMilleniumForce LondonPosts: 1,214MI6 Agent
    I don't know if we'd ever see those titles used, but here's my order:

- The Property of a Lady - Perfect title for a personal story, about a Bond girl.

- Risico - I don't know about anyone else, but I think this could be a really good name for a villain, and the movie said villain is in.

- The Hildebrand Rarity - Seems unlikely after the reference in SP, but, considering the ties the word 'Hildebrand' has to MI6, it could be a good name for a film about something happening in MI6, a political thriller maybe, about a corrupt operation or agent.

007 in New York will never be used.
    1.LTK 2.AVTAK 3.OP 4.FYEO 5.TND 6.LALD 7.GE 8.GF 9.TSWLM 10.SPECTRE 11.SF 12.MR 13.YOLT 14.TLD 15.CR (06) 16.TMWTGG 17.TB 18.FRWL 19.TWINE 20.OHMSS 21.DAF 22.DAD 23.QoS 24.NSNA 25.DN 26.CR (67)
    Barbel wrote:
    Michael G Wilson, 2008:

Q) HAVE YOU EVER CONSIDERED USING, FOR INSTANCE, THE JOHN GARDNER NOVELS AS THE BASIS FOR FILMS?

A) I haven’t…I read many of the John Gardner novels, and now there’s another fellow writing them, but I haven’t felt they have the things that would make good films.

http://cinefantastiqueonline.com/2008/11/producing-007-a-retrospective-interview-with-michael-g-wilson/

I think the book and movie companies are separate but still that's a big put down. I would take a few books over movies like Die Another Day and Quantum of Solace. Even elements from some books would make better starting points for movies than what occurred in those two actual Bond films.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,307Chief of Staff
    SilentSpy wrote:

I think the book and movie companies are separate but still that's a big put down. I would take a few books over movies like Die Another Day and Quantum of Solace. Even elements from some books would make better starting points for movies than what occurred in those two actual Bond films.

Yes, they are quite separate- the rights to the books are owned by Ian Fleming Publications (formerly Glidrose- more details here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Fleming_Publications) while those to the films are owned by Danjaq, the sister company of Eon Productions- in effect, Michael G Wilson & Barbara Broccoli. Danjaq was originally co-owned by Cubby Broccoli & Harry Saltzman (the name is from their wives, Dana and Jacqueline), then United Artists briefly had a 50% stake (replacing Saltzman) before Cubby & Dana Broccoli bought them out and assumed outright ownership which has now passed to their heirs.

This means that continuation Bond authors (who are authorised by IFP) can only use the characters etc from the Fleming novels and not those created for the films- for example, the man who gives 007 his gadgets is called Major Boothroyd (head of Q Branch) in a book by, say, John Gardner or Raymond Benson and is definitely not called Q.... unless the book is a film adaptation (eg LTK, GE...) and therefore ok'd by Danjaq in which case he IS called Q. Whose real name is Major Boothroyd. Who is the head of Q Branch. :s

It also means that Eon can't use the characters etc from the continuation novels without that being ok'd by IFP- for example, the torture scene in SP is based (down to actual dialogue) on that in Colonel Sun and there's a credit in the end titles acknowledging Kingsley Amis (author of that book, under the name Robert Markham).

In general, this has worked well for many decades although there have been a few instances on both sides where overlap has quietly occurred... but that's a topic in itself (which may be of interest- if anyone* wants to go into that, I'd be happy to contribute).

* Sounds like a job for Silhouette Man.
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,942MI6 Agent
    funny thing is plot elements from all four of those stories have been incorporated into other films
    whereas the titles Quantum of Solace, and A View to a Kill were used without any of the content of the stories

the Milton Krest character in LtK never does actually catch a Hildebrant Rarity though, woulda been nice if one of those fishes in the aquarium scene was said fish and Krest had made a comment about how it nearly killed him trying to catch that one

no harm in filming those short stories one more time with their proper titles, they've never shied away from remaking Goldfinger or YOLT yet again, have they?