Is Skyfall the most shockingly relevant Bond film?

walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
Every time I watch Skyfall I'm a little taken aback by the unsetting familiarity of its imagery and its parallels to current world events. Images and scenes that I think make it more unsetting then any other Bond film. Multiple bombings, a shooting in a public venue, CNN news reports, civilian panic, Bond running through racing police cars and ambulances. Granted, these scenes and images have all happened before in previous Bonds like CR and QOS but Skyfall, like most of the Craig era, felt more real world then fantasy. What are your thoughts on this?

Comments

• MarcAngeDracoMarcAngeDraco Piz GloriaPosts: 564MI6 Agent
    Considering the filmmakers look at current threats of the world, plus the impressive writing of Skyfall, it certainly isn't a stretch to think that Skyfall hits close to home. And it certainly isn't a misstep or a step out of the James Bond universe, as Fleming made a point of providing social commentary, as well as being a focus from the producers since, well I was going to say 90s, then 80s, but it really has been since TMWTGG and the energy crisis of the 70s.

One of the aspects in SPECTRE was that we have terrorist attacks happening all over the world and we only hear about them through news reports and in conversation with characters, and all caused through the new threats of cyberterrorism and global surveillance. These threats appeared to have heightened its presence in SP than in SF, yet despite some fleeting moments of of "wow this could actually happen" in SP, it just didn't develop as well as it should have to have the same impact as SF.

What I am seeing now are the events of Tomorrow Never Dies seemingly being realised in today's world. Releasing bugs and software to force endless upgrades, journalists wording stories in a way that provokes global tension, remote control cars, etc. That film was really ahead of its time and I feel the power of SF will similarly maintain/strengthen its impact in the years to come.
    Film: Tomorrow Never Dies | Girl: Teresa di Vicenzo | Villain: Max Zorin | Car: Aston Martin Volante | Novel: You Only Live Twice | Bond: Sir Sean Connery
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    Interesting observation because admittedly I didn't notice those things before regarding the recent movies. Police and emergency vehicles have figured into Bond movies ever since (I think of DAF, LALD and AVTAK), though for the most part it seemed that the unfolding of events took place under the radar with the "public" in the dark with what they were witnessing, in most cases some sort of chase. I don't know if that was intentional but it made the events in Bond movies seem surreal and detached that gave them a fantasy and escapist feel. So, I don't know if it's a good or bad thing for the recent films to cross-over into the real world so to speak, if that's intended to give Bond a new level of realism and credibility and if yes, if that's needed if anything to create variety or make the Bond movies more relevant to viewers.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,930MI6 Agent
    some of this may come from not having lived through the past
    how was Dr No perceived during the early years of the American space program? I know people were worried about the Soviets having that Sputnik up there, and the US had some serious catching up to do, any interference could cost them the Cold War

Flemings books were definitely ripped from the headlines stuff ... imagine reading Moonraker less than a decade after the war ended, having lived through those V2 rocket attacks
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    Considering the filmmakers look at current threats of the world, plus the impressive writing of Skyfall, it certainly isn't a stretch to think that Skyfall hits close to home. And it certainly isn't a misstep or a step out of the James Bond universe, as Fleming made a point of providing social commentary, as well as being a focus from the producers since, well I was going to say 90s, then 80s, but it really has been since TMWTGG and the energy crisis of the 70s.

One of the aspects in SPECTRE was that we have terrorist attacks happening all over the world and we only hear about them through news reports and in conversation with characters, and all caused through the new threats of cyberterrorism and global surveillance. These threats appeared to have heightened its presence in SP than in SF, yet despite some fleeting moments of of "wow this could actually happen" in SP, it just didn't develop as well as it should have to have the same impact as SF.

What I am seeing now are the events of Tomorrow Never Dies seemingly being realised in today's world. Releasing bugs and software to force endless upgrades, journalists wording stories in a way that provokes global tension, remote control cars, etc. That film was really ahead of its time and I feel the power of SF will similarly maintain/strengthen its impact in the years to come.
    Spectre felt like the most far removed from reality of all of Craig's Bond films. And I totally agree about Tomorrow Never Dies, that film is more relevant now then it was back in 1997.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,270MI6 Agent
    And I totally agree about Tomorrow Never Dies, that film is more relevant now then it was back in 1997.

jerry-hall.jpg

Colonel Sun

"Let the mayhem begin!"

That Paris Carver's let herself go a bit. (Though, to be fair, not that much)
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    And I totally agree about Tomorrow Never Dies, that film is more relevant now then it was back in 1997.

jerry-hall.jpg

Colonel Sun

"Let the mayhem begin!"

That Paris Carver's let herself go a bit. (Though, to be fair, not that much)

"How do I know Mick? He dated my roommate." :))
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    The skyfall scenes in London with the tube crash and ensuing panic is one of the stand out sequences for me, let down slightly by the court room shoot out, there's a bit of cheese creeping in there, but the part where Bond emerges from the underground and starts running with m's poetry is brilliant, it's also for the best bit of Newmans score and fits those scenes perfectly.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Chriscoop wrote:
    The skyfall scenes in London with the tube crash and ensuing panic is one of the stand out sequences for me, let down slightly by the court room shoot out, there's a bit of cheese creeping in there, but the part where Bond emerges from the underground and starts running with m's poetry is brilliant, it's also for the best bit of Newmans score and fits those scenes perfectly.

The running scene was pure Bond, after all the carnage you knew that it would all be alright, our man was on the case.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • DutchfingerDutchfinger Holland With LovePosts: 1,240MI6 Agent
    I think a lot of the Bond movies have very relevant plots to the times that they were made in. Of course Skyfall is still a very recent Bond movie that plays a lot on recent times, which really reaches out to us because we're still in those exact times.

But when you take a look at some of the plots of Bond movies from the past, there are a lot of them out there which are so relevant to the times they were made in. I think Octopussy is a great example. I have watched it again yesterday and am working on a video review of it, and found the plot to be so much more realistic then I remembered it being!

"Bond finds out that Orlov replaced the Soviet treasures with a nuclear warhead, primed to explode during the circus show at a US Air Force base in West Germany. The explosion would trigger Europe into seeking disarmament in the belief that the bomb was a US one that detonated by accident, leaving its borders open to a Soviet invasion"

In 1983 the cold war era was still in full swing, and threats of nuclear bombs coming from the Russians were still very real. In retrospect the plot of Octopussy might seem dated, as we cannot emphatize with those times anymore, but back then, that was still very relevant and real.

So in short I feel the Bond movies have defenitely pulled this off numerous times before!
    Better known as DutchBondFan on YouTube. My 007 movie reviews: Recapping 007
    YouTube channel Support my channel on Patreon Twitter Facebook fanpage
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    edited July 2016
    I wouldn't be "shocked" if Skyfall is relevant considering it only came out 4 years ago. :))
    Kudos to TND to still being hip even with huge changes in news media coverage.
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
  • MilleniumForceMilleniumForce LondonPosts: 1,214MI6 Agent
    zaphod99 wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:

The running scene was pure Bond, after all the carnage you knew that it would all be alright, our man was on the case.

That has become the iconic image of Craig as Bond. Far more for me than him coming out of the water in CR (that's the one for the women), it just is Bond. And it's perfect. The shot is perfect, the poetry over it makes it memorable, the score build up to the shootout is incredible, and there is so much tension - it's essentially Bond racing Silva to M. And it's brilliant.
    1.LTK 2.AVTAK 3.OP 4.FYEO 5.TND 6.LALD 7.GE 8.GF 9.TSWLM 10.SPECTRE 11.SF 12.MR 13.YOLT 14.TLD 15.CR (06) 16.TMWTGG 17.TB 18.FRWL 19.TWINE 20.OHMSS 21.DAF 22.DAD 23.QoS 24.NSNA 25.DN 26.CR (67)
  • MilleniumForceMilleniumForce LondonPosts: 1,214MI6 Agent
    zaphod99 wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:

That has become the iconic image of Craig as Bond. Far more for me than him coming out of the water in CR (that's the one for the women), it just is Bond. And it's perfect. The shot is perfect, the poetry over it makes it memorable, the score build up to the shootout is incredible, and there is so much tension - it's essentially Bond racing Silva to M. And it's brilliant.
    1.LTK 2.AVTAK 3.OP 4.FYEO 5.TND 6.LALD 7.GE 8.GF 9.TSWLM 10.SPECTRE 11.SF 12.MR 13.YOLT 14.TLD 15.CR (06) 16.TMWTGG 17.TB 18.FRWL 19.TWINE 20.OHMSS 21.DAF 22.DAD 23.QoS 24.NSNA 25.DN 26.CR (67)
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    zaphod99 wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:

There was also a lot of tension in his suit! It was so tight it was about to rip open. And I was tense worrying about that!
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    zaphod99 wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:

I agree, nothing in Spectre can match that moment.
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    In short, no.
    Gassy Man wrote:
    In short, no.
    would you mind elaborating please?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Many Bond story lines are relevant to contemporary times. Looking at an
    Octopussy review today. I can remember the protests at the time to remove
    Nuclear missiles etc from Britain and Europe.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,270MI6 Agent
    With regards to taking intelligence information from dodgy characters and building foreign policy around them, maybe The Living Daylights has some relevance this week.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,758MI6 Agent
    Gassy Man wrote:
    In short, no.

Be careful what you wish for. I sense a dissertation on the evolution of western poetry and film is coming! :))
    Gassy Man wrote:
    In short, no.
    As has been said, many Bond films borrow from contemporary issues. Skyfall is no better or greater in this regard.
    Gassy Man wrote:
    In short, no.

Be careful what you wish for. I sense a dissertation on the evolution of western poetry and film is coming! :))
    Then you'd be wrong yet again. :)
  • Le SamouraiLe Samourai Honolulu, HIPosts: 573MI6 Agent
    I would give that honor to QoS, which is part of the reason I love it so. The film's depiction of the exploitation of developing nations at the hands of corporations and foreign governments is well-grounded in history and current events.

SF is still essentially a clear-cut Good Mi-6 Vs. Bad Terrorists story. QoS is more ambiguous, showing Mi-6 and the CIA willing to work with the Bad Guys, as they often have in real life. For many people, that is truly shocking. (Not me, though. I'm too jaded to be shocked anymore.)
    —Le Samourai

A Gent in Training.... A blog about my continuing efforts to be improve myself, be a better person, and lead a good life. It incorporates such far flung topics as fitness, self defense, music, style, food and drink, and personal philosophy.
    Agent In Training
  • CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
    edited July 2016
    There are many reasons why Skyall comes across as very much more "real" than the more fantastic Bond films for me. First, though the character triumphs through the over the top action sequences that skate the edge of cartoon physics and its consequences as he has always done, with Craig we are shown that he's not the Superman/superspy of the old series (once again) as he is shot, wounded, beaten up (physically and emotionally) and almost dies - to the point he's pretty much decided to chuck his whole career. Then, he returns somewhat an older ghost of his former self and cant even pass his re-entry tests. This is one of the first of many threads in the film that point to a more real person than just an action figure in a tux.

Second, though the revenge plot has been done before (see GE), this time it's more personal and intimate. Though many terrorists events and multiple killing events have the idea of some grand political/religious scheme behind them, some are just the more personal actions of deranged individuals lashing out at large - though most often their targets are as many innocent bystanders as they can kill. In this case, the villain is someone who gets caught working illegally outside the parameters of their mission, is given up so some good agents can be retrieved, then after suffering years of torture his mania is supercharged up to the point that his whole purpose left in life is to torture M and make her suffer emotionally, then kill her (and like all these types doesn't care if he dies to accomplish it). Those of us who grew up with the assassinations of political figures through our entire lives starting with JFK see the very real and eerie similarities to Silva's plot - especially at the point where he charges into the public meeting in an attempt to publicly assassinate M. This is another thread that makes the film seem disturbingly realistic.

Third, the cinematography is often either shot in very modern and almost futuristic color schemes - the Shanghai sequence reminded me of Bladerunner - or the grey/blue hues of overcast skies (we even see it raining) of London and Scotland. This is another reality check the film does that many don't notice on first viewing - in most of the series the events take place under sunny skies.

Fourth, once again the gadgets are low tech and very few. Bond has to rely more on his own wits and his surroundings more than what Q can provide. Yes the Aston is used for great effect at the end, but that's put in as a nostalgic nod to the old series. The third act at Skyfall resembles more of a realistic creation of attacks on defensive positions that take place in ongoing middle east battles or in historic international incidents (see Bengazi). The attackers are using bombs and large firepower against the defenders who may have limited resources or are just outnumbered.

All these events in the film take place against the the backdrop of the reality going on in the real world (cyber crime, assassination, war battles, coups, mass killings) and in many instances, it reflects or imbues itself in those ways with that reality. It's actually a throwback to the first two films in the series - especially FRWL. There is no stylized, slick grand saga of a supervillain trying to subdue or extort the world - just a more personal, real, intimate and gritty spy story that reflects the fears and political machinations of it's time.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,220Chief of Staff
    {[] Well said, CA, great post.
  • MarcAngeDracoMarcAngeDraco Piz GloriaPosts: 564MI6 Agent
    edited July 2016
    Atticus wrote:
    There are many reasons why....

Agreed, and yet despite all this, there are still helpings of the fantastical that separate Bond from other spy series in the form of the Bardem's Silva, taking Bond from the art dealer in Shanghai to casino in Macau, dragons, etc.
    Film: Tomorrow Never Dies | Girl: Teresa di Vicenzo | Villain: Max Zorin | Car: Aston Martin Volante | Novel: You Only Live Twice | Bond: Sir Sean Connery
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Agreed, one of the individualistic things about the Bond films. Is the odd almost
    Fantasy scene ( grim fantasy) such as the shooting competition on Silva's island.
    Giving an almost parallax view, as if Bond exists in our world, but a slightly surreal
    Version. :)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    That island had a feel of purgatory and very dreamlike like a Fellini movie, which turns into a nightmare as a strange dude who reminds you of an alcoholic uncle suddenly clamps his large hands on your inner thighs ;%
    There are many reasons why...
    Brilliantly put and reminds me why I love SF so much!
  • CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
    Atticus wrote:
    There are many reasons why....

Agreed, and yet despite all this, there are still helpings of the fantastical that separate Bond from other spy series in the form of the Bardem's Silva, taking Bond from the art dealer in Shanghai to casino in Macau, dragons, etc.

Exactly, which is why I really enjoy Fleming's work and this series. He took real life gritty spy games and infused them with just enough fantasy to make them entertaining. I like Le Carre and Deighton a lot, but Fleming and EON are my main game.
  • perdoggperdogg Posts: 432MI6 Agent
    Every time I watch Skyfall I'm a little taken aback by the unsetting familiarity of its imagery and its parallels to current world events. Images and scenes that I think make it more unsetting then any other Bond film. Multiple bombings, a shooting in a public venue, CNN news reports, civilian panic, Bond running through racing police cars and ambulances. Granted, these scenes and images have all happened before in previous Bonds like CR and QOS but Skyfall, like most of the Craig era, felt more real world then fantasy. What are your thoughts on this?

With all due respect, I thought Skyfall was less credible and relevant than Die Another Day.
    "And if I told you that I'm from the Ministry of Defence?" James Bond - The Property of a Lady