In between scene plays and performances

GoldenEye85GoldenEye85 Posts: 278MI6 Agent
In almost every James Bond movie when moving from one scene to another, the film makers like to showcase some street performances and the like to give some ambience of the town/city/country that they are filming in.

My question is in regard to the one in GoldenEye that Bond passes to take pictures of Xenia and the yacht boat....What is this performance and what are some of your favorites or that you just find interesting?
1, GE 2, CR 3, SF 4, TWINE 5, Spectre 6, TMWTGG 7, DAD 8, LALD 9, AVTAK 10, LTK 11, Octopussy 12, Moonraker 13, TLD 14, GF 15, QOS 16, Tomorrow 17, FYEO 18. TSWLM Not seen much: Dr. No, Russia, Thunderball, Twice, Majesty.

1: Brosnan 2: Craig 3: Moore 4: Dalton 5: Connery and 6: Lazenby

Comments

• heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    Not sure what the play is, but I really like the oddness and ambience the scene creates.

What's interesting is that not many of the other films take many breaks like this to set such a mood, even the ones that are similar like Tosca in QoS are still really plot related.
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • GoldenEye85GoldenEye85 Posts: 278MI6 Agent
    I am always confused by the Tosca opera in QoS. Especially when the sound goes off and the gun fight breaks out. Are the shooters on stage just part of the performance or are they disguised assassins?
    1, GE 2, CR 3, SF 4, TWINE 5, Spectre 6, TMWTGG 7, DAD 8, LALD 9, AVTAK 10, LTK 11, Octopussy 12, Moonraker 13, TLD 14, GF 15, QOS 16, Tomorrow 17, FYEO 18. TSWLM Not seen much: Dr. No, Russia, Thunderball, Twice, Majesty.

• walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    I am always confused by the Tosca opera in QoS. Especially when the sound goes off and the gun fight breaks out. Are the shooters on stage just part of the performance or are they disguised assassins?
    just part of the performance
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    I always thought that particular scene in GE was a street mime performance with some ballet mixed in for the benefit of tourists. Though it looked interesting, I don't think it was meant to have any cultural significance with Monaco/Monte Carlo. However, now I'm intrigued enough to take mental inventory of the cultural performances for each movie! Some were more impactful than others, like YOLT which made it seem that the entire movie was a tourism showcase for Japan.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    the film makers like to showcase some street performances and the like to give some ambience of the town/city/country that they are filming in.

Interesting. Can you name some others? I do like the one of Bond and Melina strolling around Corfu in FYEO.
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,220Chief of Staff
  • hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent
    The whistling butterfly girl in AVTAK

Byron Lee And The Dragonnaires in Dr No
    Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
  • GoldenEye85GoldenEye85 Posts: 278MI6 Agent
    The parade(?) in Italy at the beginning of Quantum of Solace, while they were interrogating Mr. White below their feet.

• FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    These "in between performances" seem to be an integral part of the Bond formula, yet don't get much notice from fans.

I've always liked the massive carnivals in Thunderball and Moonraker.

The pyramid presentation scene in TSWLM is also quite good.

LALD has that weird one with the dancer with his legs over his shoulders.

Not a fan of the Octopussy marketplace stuff because it's seemed like a cliched view of India..not the genuine article.
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    The parade(?) in Italy at the beginning of Quantum of Solace, while they were interrogating Mr. White below their feet.

That's a great one. It's the Palio, a famous horse-race which is held twice a year in Siena:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palio_di_Siena

My favourite is the Junkanoo in Thunderball as it's central to the plot - Bond escaping and the death of Fiona - rather than just a mini travelogue.
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    just part of the performance

Yes, I agree. I also think it was made to seem like that just to give the sequence a surreal element and raise the paranoia level, like the bear mascot in OHMSS.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    Very few stand out as "real," though -- more like staged inserts to the film proper. The exceptions are mostly in the Connery era, such as the Junkanoo in TB and the wedding sequence in YOLT, where the "performances" not only are woven into the plot, but Bond is an active participant. In others, he's either an observer or not even present.