Military overthrowing Turkish Government?

welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent
edited July 2016 in Off Topic Chat
Scary stuff. Not quite clear yet with conflcting reports.
Instagram - bondclothes007

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Scary is right ! :#
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent
    At times like this I thank god for the escapism that is Bond!
    Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent
    Looking like its failed
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    They're calling it an attempted coup now, probably started by military leaders following hizmet, just goes to show how easily peace and democracy can be shattered. What with this and what's happened in France it's clear we live in dangerous times.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,689MI6 Agent
    I'm hoping that the forces of democracy triumph in this fight. The world is caught up in such uncertain times currently. :#
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • OrnithologistOrnithologist BerlinPosts: 584MI6 Agent
    Cui bono?

So there was allegedly an attempted military coup, and the reaction is to fire more than 2700 judges (not soldiers)?
    "I'm afraid I'm a complicated woman. "
    "- That is something to be afraid of."
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited July 2016
    I am all for democracy and the attempted coup was to be condemned.

What we have to keep in mind is, that Erdogan has systematically eroded the democratic institutions.
    Media have been streamlined, journalists put in jail ( for terroroism), independent judges fired and opposition MSs will go to jail in order to get the majority to change the country from a representative democracy into an islamic Presidential State.

He even went so far as threatening german MPs for calling turkish war crimes ' genocide'

So if there is someone in Turkey, who should not speak about democracy, it's Erdogan.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Higgins wrote:
    So if there is someone in Turkey, who should not speak about democracy, it's Erdogan.

Why not? He's always had the best one-liners:

recip-erdogan-quote-roflbot.jpg?w=701&h=430

Edit: Two-liners ;)
    Cui bono?

So there was allegedly an attempted military coup, and the reaction is to fire more than 2700 judges (not soldiers)?

2700 Judges and 2800 Soldiers according to the BBC
    Erdogan runs Turkey, The EU needs Turkey = Erdogan can do what he likes ! ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Cui bono?

but what have the judges done?
    The EU needs Turkey = Erdogan can do what he likes ! ;)

That's easy to criticize from a UK point of view.
    The EU needs him because besides of Germany noone accepts a larger number of refugees*
    How many syrian refugees did the Uk take in the last 12 months?

*the alternative would be to let them drown in the Med. Sea.

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,689MI6 Agent
    Getting rid of so many judges just sounds awfully convenient for starting up a dictatorship... :#
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Cui bono?

but what have the judges done?

Allegedly part of the Coup
    Yep, that will be Erdogan's excuse for the weeks to come for eliminating even more oppositional and democratic institutions:

Allegedly being part of the coup and/or supporting terrorism

:#

My only point is the EU need him, so if he wants to start live beheading on TV, he can ! ;)
    Then when he's not needed the politicians can become outraged at his actions.
    We can discuss who did what and when and how often, nothing changes the facts. He has
    The EU by the b*lls , and will squeeze all he can out of ......... Europe !
    I wonder was it all a set-up?
    edited July 2016

Im no expert lol but watching it last night it looked / sounded amateurish.

Initially looked like Erdogan's days were numbered using FaceTime to call a TV station and telling the people to fight on the streets etc however looks like a few thousand soldiers and a couple of nicked tanks against the rest of the army and their F16s :D

The clips I saw showed the men on the street yanking the tank commanders from their vehicles and giving them a slap!!!

That's being discussed here as well. But that can be said about most recent events - you always can speculate that the economic/political leaders have a ' masterplan' - the internet is full of it.
    I guess that we'll never find out

He has
    The EU by the b*lls , and will squeeze all he can out of ......... Europe !

Yes, but the larger picture is, that if we in the West would act along our values ( we call ourselfs humanitarians and have all signed the Geneva Refugee Acts), Erdogan would have nobody at their b**s.

So the problem is not only Erdogan, it's us and our shortsighted and narrow- minded egoism.

As soon as he becomes "less useful" he'll be an "Evil Dictator" and it will be time
    For regime change.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,558Chief of Staff
    Higgins wrote:
    The EU needs Turkey = Erdogan can do what he likes ! ;)

That's easy to criticize from a UK point of view.
    The EU needs him because besides of Germany noone accepts a larger number of refugees*
    How many syrian refugees did the Uk take in the last 12 months?

*the alternative would be to let them drown in the Med. Sea.

And why, exactly, are Syrians leaving their own country ? And why is the rest of the world just letting it happen ?
    Those are the more important questions !

Taking refugees is NOT the answer to the problem.
    YNWA 97
    so, you are basically asking them to wait until the war settles down in front of their doors or wait until their cities are taken over by IS?

Sir Miles wrote:

But if we are not taking refugees we revoke the right to call ourselves 'civilized' and 'humanitarians'.
    And we have signed to do it. Period!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convention_relating_to_the_Status_of_Refugees

• Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:

That's being discussed here as well. But that can be said about most recent events - you always can speculate that the economic/political leaders have a ' masterplan' - the internet is full of it.
    I guess that we'll never find out

A friend of mine lives in Turkey and this morning she said to me that it rumoured there that it was all staged to show how powerful Erdogan is.

Who knows? Nothing would surprise me anymore.

There is also the little incident of Erdogan , a comic and the German courts which led to our new Foreign Secretary winning a poetry competition. :v

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/05/boris-johnson-wins-the-spectators-president-erdogan-offensive-poetry-competition/
    Higgins wrote:
    so, you are basically asking them to wait until the war settles down in front of their doors or wait until their cities are taken over by IS?

That's not what I was asking - and you know it.

I expected better :#
    YNWA 97
    Higgins wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

But if we are not taking refugees we revoke the right to call ourselves 'civilized' and 'humanitarians'.
    And we have signed to do it. Period!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convention_relating_to_the_Status_of_Refugees

Do you genuinely believe people are 'civilised' and 'humanitarians' ? That ship sailed thousands of years ago.
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Higgins wrote:

That's not what I was asking - and you know it.

I expected better :#

We can discuss and finger-point forever about who's to blame for that mess but those poor people need our help. Now!

That's the reply to your question.

Sir Miles wrote:

Do you genuinely believe people are 'civilised' and 'humanitarians' ? That ship sailed thousands of years ago.

I for my part am trying to live along those lines and I have hope that I am not alone.
    And you?

Higgins wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

I for my part am trying to live along those lines and I have hope that I am not alone.
    And you?

No. I believe the vast majority of people aren't. Religion has a lot to answer for.
    YNWA 97