Marilyn Monroe a Bond Girl?

SilentSpySilentSpy Private Exotic AreaPosts: 765MI6 Agent
I was looking at her old Christie's auction items and she owned a copy of From Russia with Love. It made me think if she could have been a good Bond girl. Or even if the book belonged to JFK since that was his favorite.
"Better late than never."

Comments

• welshguy34welshguy34 Posts: 219MI6 Agent
    Maybe she would have. Just can't see what role she would have played. Don't think there was a leading American Bond girl until DAF.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    I wonder if she would have even been considered for a Bond film if she had been alive. I think she was too big of a star to be a Bond girl. I can't imagine her as a main Bond girl, and she wouldn't have taken a role as anything else. It's not like they could have offered someone of her stature to play Jill Masterson, but I couldn't see her as Pussy Galore.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • ggl007ggl007 SpainPosts: 388MI6 Agent
  • MilleniumForceMilleniumForce LondonPosts: 1,214MI6 Agent
    If she had still been alive, I could have easily seen her play a Bond girl opposite Connery, if there was a Bond girl character suitable for her. Particularly after GF and TB, when Bond really became mega.
    1.LTK 2.AVTAK 3.OP 4.FYEO 5.TND 6.LALD 7.GE 8.GF 9.TSWLM 10.SPECTRE 11.SF 12.MR 13.YOLT 14.TLD 15.CR (06) 16.TMWTGG 17.TB 18.FRWL 19.TWINE 20.OHMSS 21.DAF 22.DAD 23.QoS 24.NSNA 25.DN 26.CR (67)
  • hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent
    She'd've been perfect for GF. I'm going by her hair colour alone. She would've made a great Dink-esque character.
    Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,651MI6 Agent
    edited August 2016
    I have such a bias about Marilyn Monroe because of the larger-than-life following of hers that continues today, including greeting cards and fantasy artwork of her hanging out with other icons like Elvis, James Dean and even Humphrey Bogart, which IMO just cheapens her (and their) true contributions to her craft. Based on the movies I've watched her in, I think the largest issue I'd have against MM as a Bond girl is her sex-symbol persona that became self-parody as seen in The Seven Year Itch, Some Like it Hot and Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. However, she was pretty decent and watchable in serious roles like Bus Stop and Niagara, which in memory resemble the type of melodrama you'd see in the 50's, USA-made Hitchcock movies.

I can see her taking this serious approach in a Bond girl role like those we've seen in the first four, but after Bond mania had reached its peak it would have been difficult IMO for her to stay serious since the Bond movies themselves began to be self-aware after that point and there would have been the tendency for her to likewise devolve into her camp, sex-symbol persona. I also think it was possible for her to own her character as a Bond girl, of course depending on the treatment the script and direction would have allowed. Because up to that point in the 60s Connery Bonds as pointed on this thread, there had been no leading female American role and the closest was Paula Caplan (she was American in the movie, right?) Had MM been introduced as a Bond girl, the emphasis would have been the contrast of an American object of beauty against the leading girls before, and the development of Bond's relationship with this girl from America would be the novelty, esp. for audiences on both sides of the Atlantic. The novelty would have been similar to that of Tanya in FRWL and Kissy in YOLT (except in that movie, the 2 use of Japanese Bond girls diluted the effect). Of course, nowadays that wouldn't be a novelty anymore since the American Bond girl has been done ad nauseum.

Sticking to Fleming, of course the roles MM could have had were Pussy and Tiffany though it would have been a challenge for her to go against her own persona by playing these strong characters, esp. Pussy who's supposed to be choleric and a bit mannish (Tiffany too to an extent), which I think was within her range.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,266MI6 Agent
    A good post by Superado.

I think she could have made a good Pussy Galore, more in line with the Texan in Fleming's novel. Monroe was too old in a way but then again Blackman was older than Connery so what gives. However, really at the time that would have made GF a new Monroe movie, rather than the smash Bond movie it needed to be. And she was associated with the 50s, the past, and Bond was very much the 60s.

Plus she was dead by then. :#

Anyway, we'd already had Monro in a Bond film by that point...

4168R4656GL._SY300_.jpg
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    edited August 2016
    A good post by Superado.

I think she could have made a good Pussy Galore, more in line with the Texan in Fleming's novel. Monroe was too old in a way but then again Blackman was older than Connery so what gives. However, really at the time that would have made GF a new Monroe movie, rather than the smash Bond movie it needed to be. And she was associated with the 50s, the past, and Bond was very much the 60s.

Plus she was dead by then. :#

Anyway, we'd already had Monro in a Bond film by that point...

4168R4656GL._SY300_.jpg

Thanks, NP. For that reason alone of a Bond movie becoming a MM movie, it shouldn't happen. I for one don't think staring MM for the sake of having her is a good rationale. But to be fair to her, she was only 36 when she died, though she did look older than her age, unfortunately.

On a different note... Did I ever share here that the dumbest thing I regret to this day was watching a concert that had Matt Munro open, and I went out for a smoke when he sang FRWL :# And yet another FRWL connection, we'll always have Krilencu coming out of Marilyn Monroe's mouth :))
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • ToTheRightToTheRight Posts: 314MI6 Agent
    Being as huge a Marilyn fan as I am a Bond fan I've often speculated what it would be like for her in the Bond universe. Considering the ups and downs she had with 20th Century Fox in '62, I could picture her freelancing by 1963 and Cubby getting her for FRWL. I think she might have made an excellent Tatiana. She probably would have devoted herself completely to the role, mastered a Russian dialect, and had great chemistry with Sean.
  • welshguy34welshguy34 Posts: 219MI6 Agent
    ToTheRight wrote:
    Being as huge a Marilyn fan as I am a Bond fan I've often speculated what it would be like for her in the Bond universe. Considering the ups and downs she had with 20th Century Fox in '62, I could picture her freelancing by 1963 and Cubby getting her for FRWL. I think she might have made an excellent Tatiana. She probably would have devoted herself completely to the role, mastered a Russian dialect, and had great chemistry with Sean.

Historically Bond producers don't tend to go for big names like Marilyn, and I am not sure she could have convinced as a Russian.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    welshguy34 wrote:
    ToTheRight wrote:

Historically Bond producers don't tend to go for big names like Marilyn, and I am not sure she could have convinced as a Russian.

Barbara Bach sure didn't! But how would you describe Barbara Jefford's accent as Romanova's voice in FRWL? It never struck me as Russian, but it worked.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,189Chief of Staff
    Sorry to butt in- I'd describe it as very attractive! :007)
    I was convinced! For a long time, I thought Barbara Bach was non-American since I was just a kid when I watched TSWLM.

Has MM ever done a non-American role? FRWL would have been an acting coup for her and a PR coup for the movie, esp. with the JFK connection with the novel!
  • SilentSpySilentSpy Private Exotic AreaPosts: 765MI6 Agent
    ggl007 wrote:
    8363553944_1e0efc706b_b.jpg

;) -{

Beautiful and quick artwork!
    superado wrote:
    I was convinced! For a long time, I thought Barbara Bach was non-American since I was just a kid when I watched TSWLM.

Me too. Same goes for that maid that I thought was French in the movie Clue.

Since Marilyn had so many problems, I wonder if playing something more personal would have worked? Bond always seemed attracted to the problem girls in the books.
    SilentSpy wrote:
    Since Marilyn had so many problems, I wonder if playing something more personal would have worked? Bond always seemed attracted to the problem girls in the books.

Truth can be stranger than fiction. Imagine the dastardly plot in MM's real life, the White House in cahoots with the mafia to cover up MM's affair with President Kennedy and Bond comes to the rescue!
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,668MI6 Agent
    edited August 2016
    As Marilyn Monroe died in August 1962 I guess all discussion on her being a Bond girl is purely academic in nature though I agree that she would have been perfect for such a role [had she lived].
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • SilentSpySilentSpy Private Exotic AreaPosts: 765MI6 Agent
    superado wrote:
    SilentSpy wrote:

Truth can be stranger than fiction. Imagine the dastardly plot in MM's real life, the White House in cahoots with the mafia to cover up MM's affair with President Kennedy and Bond comes to the rescue!

That or something similar or inspired by the book version of The Spy Who Loved Me.
  • GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,294MI6 Agent
    Lorens character in "Desire under elms" reminds me quite a bit of a villainess like Fiona or Onatopp....I think she could've pulled it off.