What if Brosnan became Bond in 1985, instead of Dalton?

OakvaleOakvale Pennsylvania Posts: 155MI6 Agent
As many know, Pierce Brosnan was originally supposed to become Bond in 1986, but interest spawned by the announcement that he would be Bond revived his falling T.V. show, and was contracted for more episodes of that. But what if that didn't happen, and he did become Bond in 1986?

I assume two films would be made, just like Dalton, in the late 80s, but what would they like? Would they be as dark as Dalton's two? Would Brosnan be dumped like Dalton was?

Comments

• eric7064eric7064 USAPosts: 343MI6 Agent
    I think the Hiatus helped immensely regardless of Dalton Tenure.

I think they'd be in the same vein as Brosnan's films with maybe a tad bit more campiness to be the opposite of Dalton's.

I love Brosnan. But he looked much younger then he was in GE. In 86 he looks crazy young. I think he came in at the right time and left too soon.
  • OakvaleOakvale Pennsylvania Posts: 155MI6 Agent
    eric7064 wrote:

I think they'd be in the same vein as Brosnan's films with maybe a tad bit more campiness to be the opposite of Dalton's.

I love Brosnan. But he looked much younger then he was in GE. In 86 he looks crazy young. I think he came in at the right time and left too soon.

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. I wasn't the biggest Brosnan fan, but he certainly looked the part. Age definitely helped him on that front, and I would most certainly say he's aged the best out of all the Bonds. He easily could have had another (or two) more films in him. He looked in his prime in DAD.
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    Oakvale wrote:
    eric7064 wrote:

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. I wasn't the biggest Brosnan fan, but he certainly looked the part. Age definitely helped him on that front, and I would most certainly say he's aged the best out of all the Bonds. He easily could have had another (or two) more films in him. He looked in his prime in DAD.

If Brosnan became Bond after Moore one would wonder if they would've continued down a darker path (ala Dalton). Perhaps if that was the brief, Brosnan could've been a bit more of a Dalton/Connery blend - as opposed to being a uber-attractive, slightly edgier, 90s Moore.

But then again, the way he was acting at the time in Remington Steele may have prevented such an approach being acceptable to audiences.

I really do agree that the 6 year break between Dalton and Brosnan was needed. As much as I love the 80s films, LTK IMO typifies what was slowly starting to happen to the franchise - tiredness, and US audiences turning away.

Brosnan's performance in DAD is fantastic, I'd put it 2nd behind TWINE and based on that he certainly could've done another. But then again, I don't think the reboot and style of CR would've been as successful with him...
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    The films would have been lighter and arguably better -- the fact that they tried to make Brosnan's Bonds more butch was what makes those films so uneven. Brosnan would have picked up where Moore left off, but because he was younger, he would have revitalized the films.

To get a sense of what that might have been like, take a look at this Coca Cola commercial from that time period which anticipated Brosnan taking over Bond:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ojw3AS3BW8
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    Gassy Man wrote:
    The films would have been lighter and arguably better -- the fact that they tried to make Brosnan's Bonds more butch was what makes those films so uneven.  Brosnan would have picked up where Moore left off, but because he was younger, he would have revitalized the films.

What would've prevented them making him butch after Moore though? Would they have continued with or not, the darker, more literary interpretation of Bond based on actor?
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • Mr SnowMr Snow Station "J" JamaicaPosts: 1,736MI6 Agent
    Gassy Man wrote:

To get a sense of what that might have been like, take a look at this Coca Cola commercial from that time period which anticipated Brosnan taking over Bond:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ojw3AS3BW8

That's very disturbing - Ian Fleming would turn in his grave ;) -{
    "Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974; It's a scientific fact". - Homer J Simpson
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    OGG007 wrote:
    Ian Fleming would turn in his grave ;) -{

Oh, I think he'd done that a few times previously... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6OAXUob2y8

However, we have several threads similar to this already (Here's one, for example: http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/44740/what-if-brosnan-started-in-tld/ ) so I'm closing this one. Please carry on in that or another thread.
This discussion has been closed.