Slagging off the Bond films phenomenon ?

ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
I often wondered why, ( it seems to come in waves) the need from some fans to look for
Faults etc. In the films they supposedly love. I know the Bond films aren't "High art" but it
Seems a very odd phenomenon ( to me at least), it's like falling in love and then listing all
The little skin blemishes, Moles or wrinkles on the face of your partner :D
Personally I do think it has a link with the need in some to appear intellectual, or at least
More knowledgeable in movies than the rest of us mortals. Any thoughts or, indeed could
Someone explain the thinking behind it, as I'm genuinely curious.
I can't imagine say a football fan of any team. Regularly getting together to say how bad
Their team is/was , as why would you be a supporter, why not follow a different team ?
To quote a certain cat loving villain " Most odd " or is it a fan's version of self harming ? :D
"I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    {[] Totally agree, Pussy. I love all the Bond films- they're there to be enjoyed, and I do. Last night I watched DAD: not the best Bond film, heck not even the best Brosnan film, and thoroughly enjoyed it, flaws and all, for the umpteenth time.
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,774MI6 Agent
    It is 20 years + 1 day since I became a media Student back in 1996.
    In those days I had stary ideas of ending up an actor, possibly tv presenter - and film critic!

I share this milestone, because in those days, everyone and their cousin was chasing or getting pushed towards media film or theatrical courses. Since then we have had reality tv, social media and half a dozen other technological advances that make it easy for everyone to become an armchair critic.

Added to that, we seem to be living in an age where its lazy and easy - worse fashionabe - to criticise and denegrate. Again I blame reality tv for introducing this as a shock ractic, which others then use for their own benefit.
    Are the Bond films perfect? No Thank God. Its one of the reasons I love them. (Except CR-67!)
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    This is why can't and won't rank the bond films or the actors, I love them all for very different reasons and theyve been my consistent favourite films all my life. I can be objective about certain elements and join in discussions about say plotholes or a not terrific script or story but I always try to make it clear I still love the films.
    I think a lot of people jump on the bandwagon when certain members make negative posts and mob bashing becomes apparent. I love all things bond, I've never been disappointed by a bond film yet., certain aspects yes but never in its entirety. It foes happen with football aswell, there is nothing worse than a football fan whose team are playing crap slagging them off.
    I enjoy spirited debate but I don't like derision and outright bloody mindedness. If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • PeppermillPeppermill DelftPosts: 2,860MI6 Agent
    The biggest fans are usually also the biggest critics. Most people don't watch a movie 761 times (a year) so they do not notice every little bit that might bother someone who does. Let’s face it, we are a very small group. Most people watch a movie once or twice and remember On Her Majesty’s Secret Service because it is that movie with Timothy Lazenby where Ed Stratocaster Blowfield nukes Fort Knox.

I do think there is a big difference between saying that a certain movie isn't your favourite and what you don't like about it and having a reasonable discussion about it with other fans and being blatantly dismissive about someone else's opinion. That is why I never understand the sometimes fierce discussions on this forums about something that, when you look at it, boils down to nothing more than different opinions about something that, in the grand scheme of things, doesn’t matter at all.

There are movies that I like less than others, there are Bonds I like better than others but for each and every one of us there is something about this movie/book series that unites us as that 0.001% of people that take the time to discuss the series among each other.

Now, let’s all join hands, sing Goldfinger from the top of our lungs and agree that Roger Moore is the only real James Bond and that Goldfinger is overrated. :))
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
  • OrnithologistOrnithologist BerlinPosts: 583MI6 Agent
    I think I've tried before

http://www.ajb007.co.uk/post/778050/#p778050

but then I would definitely count a need to appear intellectual among my many vices :)
    "I'm afraid I'm a complicated woman. "
    "- That is something to be afraid of."
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,651MI6 Agent
    Like proud parents, we Bond fans are the most critical of our kids :# :)) -{
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I'm a great believer in the old saying....

Those that can. Do
    Those that have. Teach
    Those that can't. Critique ;)

As a proud parent, I am proud of all my kids, and infact ( I may be odd here ) never judge them.
    One is at university going the Education route, the other loves make up and beauty, so is going
    In to that industry ( after her A levels)
    At no point have I persuaded, coaxed or Pressurised either , if they want to go work on the
    Checkout at Saintsbury's I'd still be as proud and happy for them.
    Once again maybe I'm odd, or because I got into Bond at a very young age, I feel a "Bond" ;)
    With these films, which is emotional I can't rank or judge them like other films. Perhaps
    I've invested too much in them, but at times I basically roll my eyes at some of the criticisms
    An example :
    Who looked after Max the parrot after Gonzalez killed the Havelock's ?
    After a while constantly having to rebuff these sort of criticisms does get irritating. :#
    Please understand I'm not blaming anyone, or being 100% serious, I just find it odd, almost
    Like an " unloved season" how it comes in waves
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Who looked after Max the parrot after Gonzalez killed the Havelock's ?

That's easy. Melina mentions that the ship has a crew. The crew did not abandon the ship after the Havelocks are killed. Most criticisms can be shut down with explanations.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    edited August 2016
    I agree, but when it a constant drip of minor criticisms that can easily be explained, ....... Perhaps by
    Actually watching the film ! ;)

Better quickly point out nothing wrong with giving a film a good hard critique, but the phenomenon
    Of a wave of negativity, is a real thing , seems to come in waves every so often. ?
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,651MI6 Agent
    I'm a great believer in the old saying....

Those that can. Do
    Those that have. Teach
    Those that can't. Critique ;)

As a proud parent, I am proud of all my kids, and infact ( I may be odd here ) never judge them.
    One is at university going the Education route, the other loves make up and beauty, so is going
    In to that industry ( after her A levels)
    At no point have I persuaded, coaxed or Pressurised either , if they want to go work on the
    Checkout at Saintsbury's I'd still be as proud and happy for them.

As the saying goes... "Be nice to your children. After all, they are going to choose your nursing home." - Steven Wright

In case things don't work out with my wife/boss a decade to two from now (going on 22 years of marital bliss!), I've been planting suggestions in my 14-year old daughter's brain about getting into a high-paying career and the advantages of keeping a spare room for the ever-dependable grandpa of her rambunctious kids :))
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
    One thing we've all learnt from the Bond villains, is always have a Master plan ! :D
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent
    The ones I dislike I still love - if that makes sense :D
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • Le SamouraiLe Samourai Honolulu, HIPosts: 573MI6 Agent
    To be honest, the idea that Bond fans shouldn't or wouldn't criticize or even dislike some aspects of the films smacks of "Love it or leave it" tribalism.

I'm not a fanboy and I don't do tribalism. I don't believe in patriotism and I have never rooted for a sports team. Nor do I make it a habit to suspend my critical faculties just because I have a fondness for something.

And for the record, I firmly believe in the value and necessity of critics. To quote A.O. Scott, chief film critic for The New York Times, "Criticism, far from sapping the vitality of art, is instead what supplies its lifeblood... not an enemy from which art must be defended, but rather another name — the proper name — for the defense of art itself.”
    —Le Samourai

A Gent in Training.... A blog about my continuing efforts to be improve myself, be a better person, and lead a good life. It incorporates such far flung topics as fitness, self defense, music, style, food and drink, and personal philosophy.
    Agent In Training
    Sorry Le Samourai, If you had read my op, it's the phenomenon of the wave of negativity that I was
    Curious about not, an individual's views or critique. ;) I have already posted about "there's nothing
    Wrong with giving any film a good hard critique " , perhaps I've badly worded the question ?
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,774MI6 Agent
    No its a fair worded topic Pussy.

It seems to spread across the genre at the moment. I don't like the new Trek Star trek films. They are just not for me. - But I shut up about it quite abruptly when I saw just how horrible some of the comments on the Fanderson forum were when Thunderbirds Are Go (TAG-15) debuted last year. It was not just dislike, it was vindictive, spiteful, downright nasty.
    That polarized me, it made me realise how out of context some people are about these things. - How I nearly was myself to a lesser degree. ;%
    On Facebook too - there seems to be a wave of jumping to the worst possible conclusion and - if it bears fruit - makes that attitude worse. I have spotted several individuals who snipe and retort at the least provocation.

It's made me all the more determined to recognize such behavior - and avoid it. Some people are determined to think they know better, even when they don't, and can get away with it because they are not face to face. The answer? - Walk away. That makes it possible to enjoy the positives and have healthy debate (YOLT, V MKR V DAD anyone?) with positive like minded people all the more. :D
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • Le SamouraiLe Samourai Honolulu, HIPosts: 573MI6 Agent
    Sorry Le Samourai, If you had read my op, it's the phenomenon of the wave of negativity that I was
    Curious about not, an individual's views or critique. ;) I have already posted about "there's nothing
    Wrong with giving any film a good hard critique " , perhaps I've badly worded the question ?

I did read your original post, more than once. I admit that I possibly misinterpreted what you were saying. Honestly, I still don't quite get it. Isn't a "wave of negativity" just a collection of individual opinions? Or are you implying that some sort of groupthink/conformity is going on?

Plus, can't your comment "Those that can't. Critique" be interpreted as a dismissal of criticism?
    —Le Samourai

A Gent in Training.... A blog about my continuing efforts to be improve myself, be a better person, and lead a good life. It incorporates such far flung topics as fitness, self defense, music, style, food and drink, and personal philosophy.
    Agent In Training
    I was merely using it as an old quote ( I do like to give the impression, I've read a book ) ;)

It seems since I've been on AJB and looking at other forums. That perhaps every year there seems to
    Be a spate of posts about minor points, or gripes about the Bond films. As opposed to reasoned
    Critique of a particular film ? Or a selection of threads about "what's wrong with ...... " Only pointing out.
    The faults of that film, with many faults, just not the viewer paying attention to the film.
    Maybe I'm reading too much Into it and it's just a coincidence but I do think it is a " Thing"
    and very different from someone giving a review of a film.
    Although I'm perfectly willing to accept that it's not an event but something I'm imagining ?
    Could be I'm more sensitive to posts at different times of the ...................... Year. :)
    We're all here because we love James Bond. Where we find things to discuss are the things we don't like. If we all agreed that Bond was always perfect, there wouldn't be so much to discuss and people wouldn't be here to talk about Bond at all.
    Once again Matt S I fully agree with that.

I guess this is something I'm imagining, as no one seems to notice an increase in negative posts on occasion.
    So with that, I'd ask for this thread to be closed.
    Not in any bad temper or drama, -{ I'm perfectly willing to accept I was wrong. {[]
    I'll close it if that's what you want, TP: are you sure? There's plenty of room for discussion.
    Oh, I don't mind really. I genuinely thought it was a "thing" but like so many
    Conspiracy theories, it seems to have bitten the dust :)) . Shame, ......... I had
    A book planned and everthing.
    Well, unless you insist I'd like to leave it open. As Matt S said above, "Where we find things to discuss are the things we don't like. If we all agreed that Bond was always perfect, there wouldn't be so much to discuss and people wouldn't be here to talk about Bond at all."
    " Let the sport commence " -{
    :D
    Once again Matt S I fully agree with that.

I guess this is something I'm imagining, as no one seems to notice an increase in negative posts on occasion.
    So with that, I'd ask for this thread to be closed.
    Not in any bad temper or drama, -{ I'm perfectly willing to accept I was wrong. {[]

I have indeed noticed an increase of negative posts. But maybe it's because we've already discussed all of the positive things. If we brought up some of the positive things discussed here before, the thread will only be closed because of that. And I know that if I brought up some new positive things I like, people will just disagree with them and talk about them negatively. Does anyone else want to praise Roger Moore's safari suits or Michel Legrand's score to Never Say Never Again?
    I always liked Roger's safari suit. :)
    ..and I've always disliked the score to NSNA, but both are valid topics for discussion (as long as there aren't existing threads duplicating the discussions).
    How about the fashion of the Bond composers ? Did it influence their scores ?
    How about the fashion of the Bond composers ? Did it influence their scores ?

Marvin Hamlisch was a fashionable guy, and he wrote a fashionable score!
    Although, is fashionable as good as classic ? In suits as well as musical scores ?