Strange/Interesting things in film posters

MilleniumForceMilleniumForce LondonPosts: 1,214MI6 Agent
Some Bond posters are good, some not so. But, a lot of them have interesting things in them, that get overlooked.

I'll start this off with two weird things:

- DAF - two random women. So, the two Bind girls of DAF are Plenty and Tiffany. But the poster shows a redhead (nothing like Tiffany) and a random blonde. What were they going for? We're these suppose to be Plenty and Tiffany?

- LALD - Two random women. Again. So there are four women in the poster, Rosie, Solitaire and.....two others on the card. I find this one a bit weird because Baron Samedi was on one of the cards, could they not put any other characters on the cards?
1.LTK 2.AVTAK 3.OP 4.FYEO 5.TND 6.LALD 7.GE 8.GF 9.TSWLM 10.SPECTRE 11.SF 12.MR 13.YOLT 14.TLD 15.CR (06) 16.TMWTGG 17.TB 18.FRWL 19.TWINE 20.OHMSS 21.DAF 22.DAD 23.QoS 24.NSNA 25.DN 26.CR (67)

Comments

• heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    LALD is such a great poster! The other weird thing in that one is the rocket launcher thing in there, there's also a much bigger presence of sharks (while this does feature though).

There are two variation of the TWINE poster. The blue one features a very creepy, Hannibal Lector-ish Renard in the background.
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent
    DAF- I'm sure i'd seen some frogmen on a poster, once. They were going to use mines to blow the support legs up on the oil rig. Think this was in the first draft, but they couldn't get filming permission.
    Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
  • MilleniumForceMilleniumForce LondonPosts: 1,214MI6 Agent
    DAF- I'm sure i'd seen some frogmen on a poster, once. They were going to use mines to blow the support legs up on the oil rig. Think this was in the first draft, but they couldn't get filming permission.

Frogmen are in the most common DAF poster. I'm sure they actually did shoot some stuff with frogmen, I'm sure I've seen behind the scenes footage of it somewhere.
    1.LTK 2.AVTAK 3.OP 4.FYEO 5.TND 6.LALD 7.GE 8.GF 9.TSWLM 10.SPECTRE 11.SF 12.MR 13.YOLT 14.TLD 15.CR (06) 16.TMWTGG 17.TB 18.FRWL 19.TWINE 20.OHMSS 21.DAF 22.DAD 23.QoS 24.NSNA 25.DN 26.CR (67)
  • GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,294MI6 Agent
    LALD italy poster (the black woman is missing)
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,930MI6 Agent
    this thread really needs images, if only hyperlinked
    I have no idea which posters are being referred to, I am sure there are hundreds of variants that have been done for some of these films
  • ggl007ggl007 SpainPosts: 388MI6 Agent
    this thread really needs images, if only hyperlinked
    I have no idea which posters are being referred to, I am sure there are hundreds of variants that have been done for some of these films
    I agree.

James_Bond_007_Diamantenfieber_150.jpg

Live-And-Let-Die-Poster-04.jpg

My favourite strange/interesting thing is that Domino Derval is on OHMSS' soundtrack cover... Check:

on-her-majestys-secret-service.jpg?format=500w
  • DutchfingerDutchfinger Holland With LovePosts: 1,240MI6 Agent
    Did anyone ever notice the Italian version of the Live and Let Die Poster has the black woman changed to a caucasian woman? (Compare it to the poster above)

Probably due to racial sensitivities most likely?

live_and_let_die_sm_web.jpg
    Better known as DutchBondFan on YouTube. My 007 movie reviews: Recapping 007
    YouTube channel Support my channel on Patreon Twitter Facebook fanpage
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    A few films were influenced by Skyfall's poster by showing the actors in a similar pose.

image.jpg
    Non_Stop_Poster.jpg
    Insurgent_Poster.png
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,218Chief of Staff
    AA_OLD_MAN_3.jpg
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    Most posters I've seen for LALD and TMWTGG give Roger brown eyes instead of blue.
    You'd think they would get their technical details right...
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
  • JellyfishJellyfish EnglandPosts: 465MI6 Agent
    Is it just me, or do Bond's legs look ridiculously long in the Octopussy poster?

Octopussy.jpg

Picture from http://www.the007dossier.com/007dossier/james-bond-007-movie-posters/octopussy/Octopussy%20Poster%202.jpg
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    edited October 2016
    There used to be a rule of thumb for posters that the legs took up almost
    two thirds of the character, can't remember the reason, apart from making
    everyone look slimmer ? Also optically I think if the legs were normal length
    They'd actually look too short.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Jellyfish wrote:
    Is it just me, or do Bond's legs look ridiculously long in the Octopussy poster?

Octopussy.jpg

Picture from http://www.the007dossier.com/007dossier/james-bond-007-movie-posters/octopussy/Octopussy%20Poster%202.jpg

Same goes for the AVTAK back-to-back poster with Mayday.
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,270MI6 Agent
    The Starburst film critic John Brosnan rued that he felt sexist for thinking it was a disappointment that Lois Chiles never sported the skimpy white outfit she wore on the Moonraker poster. Moore never dons the silver US space clobber either, though he posted in it for publicity shots. They both had the yellow jumpsuit outfits.

article-2085176-0F6B153800000578-614_634x445.jpg

It's interesting to see Domino in the OHMSS poster!
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,418Quartermasters
    I've always thought that this is one of the strangest posters...I think it was part of a series which had cards based on different themes in the film:

Live-and-Let-Die_7.jpg
    Roger Moore's so narcissistic that if there'd been a scene like that in the film, he'd the making love to himself rather than Solitaire!

Actually, maybe that's why she looks so teed off!

The picture puts me in mind of that film Bob, Carol and Rita Too or whatever it was, a 1970s sex comedy with Elliot Gould I think.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,218Chief of Staff
    AA_OLD_MAN.jpg

Epic poster.

"Better make that two."
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent

Epic poster.

I've always loved this one too.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • OakvaleOakvale Pennsylvania Posts: 155MI6 Agent

Looks like the backglass to a pinball machine.
  • MilleniumForceMilleniumForce LondonPosts: 1,214MI6 Agent
    I guess the silver suit was used in the posters because it was a more obvious space suit compared to what Bond wears in the film, which doesn't look very space-y. Plus it looks better that Bond is wearing a British space suit, I'm sure the film would've been spoilt and viewers be confused at the poster if Bond was wearing the space suit of the villain.

Another interesting thing about the poster is that Jaws is bigger than Drax. Really shows how much of a marketing gimmick it was to bring Jaws back.

Still the best Bond poster art though.
    Another interesting thing about the poster is that Jaws is bigger than Drax. Really shows how much of a marketing gimmick it was to bring Jaws back.

Does Jaws get more screen time than Drax? I think he does a lot more in the film than Drax does. I think he also does more than Stromberg. Stromberg and Drax aren't the most hands-on villains. Jaws deserves the big place on the poster since he's one of the few henchmen (along with Red Grant and maybe Necros) who overshadows the villain.
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    I guess the silver suit was used in the posters because it was a more obvious space suit compared to what Bond wears in the film, which doesn't look very space-y.
    Amen. The actual suits in the film look like pajamas my kids used to wear.

Awesome poster -- one of the best in the series.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,294MI6 Agent
    Why does Connery pose with an air gun in 60s ads , why not pose with a realistic one ?

TSWLM italy poster (alternative Moooe/Bach faces & art re-drawn)
    FYEO german poster (alt. Moore face)
    Why does Connery pose with an air gun in 60s ads , why not pose with a realistic one ?

It all goes back to the photos taken for From Russia with Love, when that gun was all they had at the shoot. So the popularity of those photos with the air gun must have been why it was used in so many posters.
  • DutchfingerDutchfinger Holland With LovePosts: 1,240MI6 Agent
    Firemass wrote:
    Most posters I've seen for LALD and TMWTGG give Roger brown eyes instead of blue.

Funny you should say that. I was always so annoyed by this blue eyed Connery artwork for DAF:

51e_MUv_YR43_L.jpg
    Better known as DutchBondFan on YouTube. My 007 movie reviews: Recapping 007
    YouTube channel Support my channel on Patreon Twitter Facebook fanpage
  • hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent

They couldn't find a silencer to fit Bond's Walther, so a photographer had an old air gun in his car and they used that.

It's mentioned in the commentary for Dr No. (I think.)
    Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
    Firemass wrote:

Funny you should say that. I was always so annoyed by this blue eyed Connery artwork for DAF:

51e_MUv_YR43_L.jpg

That's not the only thing wrong with that artwork. Those aren't Connery clothes, and that's not Connery's rug either. Or even his face, for that matter. I don't even know who that is! Maybe it's the guy Red Grant killed. :p

They couldn't find a silencer to fit Bond's Walther, so a photographer had an old air gun in his car and they used that.

It's mentioned in the commentary for Dr No. (I think.)

It had nothing to do with a silencer. The story was that they forgot to bring a PPK to the photoshoot, but the photographer had this air gun with him. Perhaps it was on the DN commentary, but the photoshoot where they used the gun was for From Russia with Love.
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    LALD italy poster (the black woman is missing)
    Did anyone ever notice the Italian version of the Live and Let Die Poster has the black woman changed to a caucasian woman? (Compare it to the poster above)

Probably due to racial sensitivities most likely?

live_and_let_die_sm_web.jpg

I can see countries like Italy nurturing a racial bias more openly than others, especially in earlier decades. It's not a judgement statement on my part, but an observation.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
    On the day that was the only gun they could find. Not well organised, it was only for FRWL.

The Italian poster for NSNA is superb - except in that one, Connery's toupee is an abomination.

yrz18h45.jpg?v=1456115026

Roger Moore 1927-2017