Mandela effect - Moonraker (Dolly had Braces?)

DutchfingerDutchfinger Holland With LovePosts: 1,240MI6 Agent
As some of you on the forums might know, I run a Bond YouTube channel and on my Moonraker review I received a comment today saying: "Do any of you remember Dolly having braces?"

Just another comment to me at first and I thought it was quite funny, because I too always sort of expect Dolly to have braces when the scene comes on. Once the stereotypical love music kicks in as soon as Jaws meets her, he smiles with his metal teeth and I always expect her to smile back with a mouth filled with braces. Clearly she doesn't have them. A missed opportunity perhaps, but she simply never had braces in the entire film.

However, the guy who posted this comments went on to reply to me again saying he firmly remembers her having braces and said I should Google "Mandela effect - Moonraker". We continued a small conversation and I didn't Google it until later today. When I did Google it, I found out lots of people have firm memories of Dolly having braces in the movie. When you really get into the gist of it, there's people doing tons of research to this, all convinced reality somehow shifted. I am far to much of a down to earth person for this stuff, as I can easily accept she simply never had braces. But it's interesting to see how passionate people can be about this subject :)

An example of discussions on this topic here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MandelaEffect/comments/4uu0gf/moonraker_dollys_braces_gif/?st=itlxcg6q&sh=8d35c7e5

The question remains to fellow Bond fans. Do you have vivid memories of Dolly having braces yourself?
Better known as DutchBondFan on YouTube. My 007 movie reviews: Recapping 007
YouTube channel Support my channel on Patreon Twitter Facebook fanpage

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    In a word No, I remember thinking it would have been a qute idea though. :D
    Probably comes under. " False Memory "
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    I can see why people would think that Dolly would have braces, since it's common for girls with pig tails and glasses in film and television to also have braces.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,057Chief of Staff
    Of course she had braces in the original cinema release. Since then, Eon have spent millions digitally removing them from all VHS, Betamax, DVD, and Blu-Ray versions of the film simply to confound Bond fans throughout the world.
  • DutchfingerDutchfinger Holland With LovePosts: 1,240MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    Of course she had braces in the original cinema release. Since then, Eon have spent millions digitally removing them from all VHS, Betamax, DVD, and Blu-Ray versions of the film simply to confound Bond fans throughout the world.

:)) Well I'm not the one who vividly remembers her having braces myself.

But I do find it very easy to picture her having them and find it easy to admit the scene would have been a lot more effective if she did have braces.

I was just dumbfounded at how much people do seem to have this memory on the internet. Lots of people claiming they saw it in the theatre's in '79 and vividly remember the audience laughing when she turned out to have braces. There are videos of people going through an very early VHS release to see if they were there, or others supposidly finding evidence that she truly had braces in images like these: http://i.imgur.com/dbVm9QM.gifv There's even some who found an early Bond website in which her character discription says she has braces, while the picture next to it clearly shows they aren't there, as if reality shifted.

I'm happy to see we're all a bit more down to earth here on AJB :)) But I found it intresting enough to share this really weird and specific part of Bond fandom
    It is odd most people think in photos, I'm a fat ugly bar steward. Where as in fact
    I'm a drop dead gorgeous, male model kinda bloke. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Barbel wrote:

I was JUST watching that one myself :))

It is quite weird indeed. And the amount of people in the comments sharing this memory is astounding! Someone on that video commented saying he vividly remembers his dad making a joke in the theatre's on the scene which was: "If that don't get rid of your brace complex, nothing will"
    https://www.theguardian.com/science/2008/sep/10/humanbehaviour.july7
    This is an older story of how many people have " False Memories" of the 7/7
    Bombings.
    :)) I actually DID see MR in the cinema in 1979- several times- but by now I've watched it on Betamax, VHS, DVD etc so often that I can't accurately recall if Dolly had braces or not in the original. Given the evidence, it looks like she didn't. There's no logical reason to suspect that she did- although this was a missed opportunity for a joke.
    Barbel wrote:
    :)) I actually DID see MR in the cinema in 1979- several times- but by now I've watched it on Betamax, VHS, DVD etc so often that I can't accurately recall if Dolly had braces or not in the original. Given the evidence, it looks like she didn't. There's no logical reason to suspect that she did- although this was a missed opportunity for a joke.

Pretty much my opinion too. I do remember recently seeing the movie and expecting braces. But that was about it. I think it's just because it's far more appropriate, especially because she always smiles so broadly throughout the movie.
    https://www.theguardian.com/science/2008/sep/10/humanbehaviour.july7
    This is an older story of how many people have " False Memories" of the 7/7
    Bombings.

Yeah, there's tons of stuff to be found on people experiencing false memories. Apparantely lots of people were stumped when Gene Wilder died recently for example, they all shared memories of him dying years ago. It's quite enough internet for me reading these expierences :))
    I've had a few people swear to me that it was George Lazenby in bed with xxx in TSWLM. ? :D
  • JagJag Posts: 1,167MI6 Agent
    I'm sure there are braces on my Blu-ray disc!!!! :)) :)) :))
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,651MI6 Agent
    For many years, I vaguely remembered Sean Connery pulling off his toupee at the end of NSNA when Rowan Atkinson's character was trying to get him to come back to the service.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent
    I'm sure there's a thread on the film's IMDB page. I'll try and it.
    Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
    superado wrote:
    For many years, I vaguely remembered Sean Connery pulling off his toupee at the end of NSNA when Rowan Atkinson's character was trying to get him to come back to the service.

He does that at the end of 'The Man With The Deadly Lens" (aka Wrong Is Right), which was released a year or two earlier.
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,651MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    superado wrote:

He does that at the end of 'The Man With The Deadly Lens" (aka Wrong Is Right), which was released a year or two earlier.

Ahhh, I watched that in the theater! This is what drew me in to pay for a ticket:
    wrong-is-right-aka-the-man-with-the-deadly-lens-us-poster-sean-connery-E5NFPT.jpg
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
    edited September 2016
    I have to admit, despite being very sceptical about this whole thing. The Mandela effect really opened up my intrest and I started looking into various other topics that people apparantely share vivid memories off, but have never excisted in reality. Some of them really blew my mind and got me flappergasted. I was absolutely certain the kidney's were a lot lower in the bodypart, and that the Volkswagen logo never had a dash in between the "V" and the "W"... But that's besides the point, and all of these things can easily be debunked with a simple "You're having false memories". And quite frankly your memory really is the only source for these sort of things...

As is the case with this brace thing.
    I do still find it astounding how much you can find on this topic though. People are really digging into this, very passionate about having vivid memories from Dolly originally having braces. Remembering specific comments made by others on these braces and such and such. Some even found older websites of Bond fans discussing Dolly's braces, and how it's really cheesy that they have a pair of lovers in a film who both have metal in their teeth. It was an old discussion on some forum during the early 2000's.

Conversation of people discussing the braces:
    https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/dolly$20braces$20moonraker/alt.fan.james-bond/vMYXr40T0FA/Y-P9mhv5ZgMJ

Countless (serouisly not just a couple) of character discriptions have been found of older Bond websites discribing her having braces showing an image uploaded right next to it which clearly doesn't have them.

Others have even went so far into making this an intensive research project:

http://dolly.barriereader.co.uk/dolly.html

I'm still extremely sceptical about all this because my memory of Dolly having braces is mostly vague and uncertain. I do remember being a bit suprised on recent viewing as I expected her to have braces, but that was about it. But a simple Google search of "Moonraker - Mandela effect" certaintly opened up a whole new can of worms for me, and I was completely unaware this was such a thing to thousands of people...

It makes me very curious now what was written in the novelization of Christopher Wood. I wonder if he discribes Dolly having braces or not. I have never read it, and haven't found anyone on the internet who has even considered that one...
    Maybe someone here can check it out?

-{
    Alas for this theory, Dolly isn't in the novelisation.
    Here's the imdb thread i was on about. Let me know your thoughts. I think it was just an internet rumour.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079574/board/thread/260836468?d=260836468#260836468

This may be of interest (watch it till the end): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BhLAWP7jGA

Perhaps those who saw this ad have conflated their memories...?
    edited September 2016
    Barbel wrote:

Thanks for that one Barbel! -{
    Here's the imdb thread i was on about. Let me know your thoughts. I think it was just an internet rumour.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079574/board/thread/260836468?d=260836468#260836468

Good enough explanation as any to me! I actually gave pretty much an identical explanation in reply to the comment I received on my Moonraker Review yesterday. It was just learning how utterly convinced people are about all this, and how there seems to be certain 'proof" of there ever being braces that I started getting fascinated by this.

Edit: I see that one video mentioned all the time too. It does seem weird that they're parody'ing a scene with braces, while there never were braces in the actual film to begin with though. But who knows really... (Great period commercial though!)
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    This may be of interest (watch it till the end): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BhLAWP7jGA

Perhaps those who saw this ad have conflated their memories...?
    Yikes! She reminds me of "braced" Amy Adams in Catch Me If You Can.
    Hilly...you old devil!
    edited September 2016
    I'm beginning to think that Dolly wasn't even in the film at all !, I think we're all confused about
    some camera directions from the script ? ;)

Only discovered this tonight. .....
    confabulation:

"In psychiatry, confabulation (verb: confabulate) is a disturbance of memory, defined as the production of fabricated, distorted or misinterpreted memories about oneself or the world, without the conscious intention to deceive."
    It does seem weird that they're parody'ing a scene with braces, while there never were braces in the actual film to begin with though. But who knows really... (Great period commercial though!)

They gave her braces because people assumed that Dolly had braces. Or they just thought of a way to connect this person in the commercial to Jaws. It's like a Star Trek parody including the line "beam me up, Scotty". People think so many things that never really happened, especially when they're so often repeated.
    Barbel wrote:

Thanks for that one Barbel! -{

Good enough explanation as any to me! I actually gave pretty much an identical explanation in reply to the comment I received on my Moonraker Review yesterday. It was just learning how utterly convinced people are about all this, and how there seems to be certain 'proof" of there ever being braces that I started getting fascinated by this.

Edit: I see that one video mentioned all the time too. It does seem weird that they're parody'ing a scene with braces, while there never were braces in the actual film to begin with though. But who knows really... (Great period commercial though!)

When you see Dolly smile at Jaws, she has no braces.Being 1979, i don't think Invisalign was around back then either.

• FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    People would also probably swear that Humphrey Bogart says "Play it again, Sam" in Casablanca. That's actually a misquote.

Thankfully, Roger Moore says it in Moonraker thus not letting such a great line go to waste. :D
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
    Firemass wrote:
    People would also probably swear that Humphrey Bogart says "Play it again, Sam" in Casablanca. That's actually a misquote.

Thankfully, Roger Moore says it in Moonraker thus not letting such a great line go to waste. :D

Ah, yes. That famous quote can be attributed to Roger Moore!
    Jaws is the only one with braces ... to hold up his trousers!
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    Missed punchline effect: When the filmmakers unintentionally set up a great joke, but then fail to deliver the desired punchline.

I feel this happened in Spectre when M says, "Now I know what C stands for." and the whole audience laughed and then the moment was ruined when M continued, "Careless." (oooooh lame!)

Anyway, given the fact that Dolly does NOT have braces, what was the spark that attracted them to each other?

Making her a brace-face for that one scene would have been great IF it was a one-off joke. However, since Dolly had a fair amount of screen-time later in the film I'm glad she did not have braces.
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK