Marc Foster opens up about QoS

DutchfingerDutchfinger Holland With LovePosts: 1,240MI6 Agent
Very intresting new video interview with Foster opening up on how stressful and hectic working on Quantum has been:

http://collider.com/marc-forster-quantum-of-solace/?utm_campaign=collidersocial&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social#poster
Better known as DutchBondFan on YouTube. My 007 movie reviews: Recapping 007
YouTube channel Support my channel on Patreon Twitter Facebook fanpage

Comments

• walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    Yeah Quantum has certainly garnered a bigger fanbase within the last few years especially after Spectre. Its a perfect snapshot of the Craig era, its dark, brooding, violent, and no bullsh*t. Craig has never been more badass either.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Fascinating. Thanks! -{
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    Yeah Quantum has certainly garnered a bigger fanbase within the last few years especially after Spectre. Its a perfect snapshot of the Craig era, its dark, brooding, violent, and no bullsh*t. Craig has never been more badass either.

{[]

I love QoS for all of those reasons!
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent

{[]

Completely agree with you, qos is one of my most watched films since its release
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,033MI6 Agent
    I've only seen it twice. First time was in the cinema and I absolutely hated it and walked away wondering what had happened after the brilliance of CR. I saw it again recently and it was still an unholy mess although the opera scene is excellent. I'm not sure if the editor was handed a complete mess of film to cut that the only way was to use flash cutting or the editor took it on himself to ruin a decent film because lurking in the finished product IS a decent movie. It would be interesting if it could be re-edited at some point so that we could actually see what was going on in the action sequences.
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    My feelings mirror CoolHandBond's , shocked on first viewing but I've come to really
    appreciate the work and ideas that went in to making QOS. -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    Quantum of Solace is like a very expensive sandwich made of small cuts of shiny ingredients but missing the condiments and one slice of bread.
    Y'all just can't see fast enough. :))
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,651MI6 Agent
    QoS was an incredible Bond entry! Though it was obligatory to carry over the plot elements from CR, it was done without the Bond origins stuff and it took place right before the childhood trauma aspects of SF and SP. If the reboot was meant to deconstruct Bond’s world, QoS came before the EON formula was eased back into SF and SP, which freed DC to do Bond to his fullest potential and this truly is the Bond in which he had finally gotten settled in.

Also, of all of the DC movies, he was more action and did a lot less of the melodramatic ruminations in his other 3 movies. Bond was the not as clueless and with his determined handling of his mission he gave the sense that he actually knew what he was doing without sacrificing suspense, giving it a feel of Fleming’s books particularly the short stories.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
    superado wrote:
    QoS was an incredible Bond entry! Though it was obligatory to carry over the plot elements from CR, it was done without the Bond origins stuff and it took place right before the childhood trauma aspects of SF and SP. If the reboot was meant to deconstruct Bond’s world, QoS came before the EON formula was eased back into SF and SP, which freed DC to do Bond to his fullest potential and this truly is the Bond in which he had finally gotten settled in.

Also, of all of the DC movies, he was more action and did a lot less of the melodramatic ruminations in his other 3 movies. Bond was the not as clueless and with his determined handling of his mission he gave the sense that he actually knew what he was doing without sacrificing suspense, giving it a feel of Fleming’s books particularly the short stories.
    {[]
    +1 Superado -{
    I had the problem of not having read the Books in years. At first I hated QOS, but several members here
    Told me to go back and read the books. At first I ignored that advice, then gave it a go .... And my eyes were
    Opened ! :D
    QOS has the feel of a Fleming book ( it's not perfect, with a few problems ) but they did give us the feel, and
    Character of the literary Bond. ........... and Craig has some of his best suits in it too. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    The DC3 action sequence is a gem too. It's incredible!!

Another great thing about QoS is Arnold's brilliant score, IMO his best work -{
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
    Agreed Heartbroken _mr_drax , Arnold's best score......... So far. {[]
    I do hope they get him back.
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,774MI6 Agent
    Is QoS a badly written / badly performed Bond film? = No.

Is it a badly edited film? - Categorically.

Frustrated that I was left with migraine level headaches seeing it at the cinema, I cleared my plans one weekend and watched the film from start to finish, slowing the speed to 1/6 normal for all the action sequences. Its was frustratingly slow, but I could finally see the film as it should have been. It should be re-released with the editing corrected to a sensible ratio, because I will wear grooves in the disc if I keep doing that, and the actions scenes deserve to be legible. (The sound was off during the titles due to that crap song!)

Its not a perfect film, what is? M-Masf shows up a little too often (a problem in all the Craig films except CR-06) the use of the Opera over the violence at Brigenze is a bit pretentious, and there should have been greater emphasis on Bond's motives re Vesper, rather than M. Gemma Arteton cold have been used a bit more too- she's a damned good actress.
    The big one though, - and ironically it's not QoS's fault, is because SP never satisfactory explains what Quantum was doing before it was devoured by Spectre, Greene's long term end game is a puzzle that will never be explained. But as a sequel to CR-06, and a Bond film in its own right, QoS does deserve a second look, because there is a good film in here hidden in the jump cuts and somewhat pathetic henchman.

I'm glad they dropped the "MI6 offices by Apple" set design in later films, but (in case the House of Eon can be told) this is a Bond film where a a corrected edit would be considered most welcome.
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,418Chief of Staff

You see, I completely disagree...the fast editing fits perfectly with the tone of the film, it even harks back to OHMSS -{
    YNWA 97
    Surely the editing is as subjective as say the score? I too like the editing and as said alongside the thumping score fits the tone of the film.....IMO
    Qos did bring a lot to the franchise, some classic outfits, the return of the ppk, and use of universal exports, agree Gemma Arterton was underused but Olga Kurylenko has a great character and the Opera scene is brilliantly done. I had no problems understanding quantum as an organisation, it was a criminal set up out to make money, that's how I read it anyway, I just it's a bit of a shame bonds next movie wasn't based around him taking this organisation apart, sanctioned by m and rooting out those corrupt politicians before we jumped to Sf.
    Agreed Quantum was just like any other criminal organisation, The Mafia, Unione Corse
    Or FIFA. ;)
    :)) maybe Bond should sort them out next in " from blatter with love", " moneyraker" or " you only bung twice "
    With a Henchman " Big Sam " ? :D
    Yes big Sam coldasice.
  • Enjoying DeathEnjoying Death Toronto, ON CANADAPosts: 1,231MI6 Agent
    When I first saw QoS at the theatre, I thought it was mediocre at best.

I've grown to love it since then and it's one of my favourites now.
    Pussy Galore: “My name is Pussy Galore.”
    Bond: “I must be dreaming.”
    When I first saw QoS at the theatre, I thought it was mediocre at best.

I've grown to love it since then and it's one of my favourites now.
    It seems a lot have had a similar experience with this film, when I first saw it at the cinema my only complaint was that it ended.
    I came home after seeing it, and was so quiet. My wife asked me if "something had happened to me" :))
    Being an old Bond traditionalist, it was a shock to the system. Although like many, I've come to enjoy.
    Sir Miles wrote:

You see, I completely disagree...the fast editing fits perfectly with the tone of the film, it even harks back to OHMSS -{

I think it adds to the film's originality. My only criticism of the editing would be the part where the oddly focus on the woman's crotch at the Perla de Lunas.

I also prefer Mathis in QoS than in CR, and Craig in this than in all of his other films. It's a get it done mission - something that is missing from all the others.

It's satisfying.

"Better make that two."
  • ShadowfallShadowfall Posts: 42MI6 Agent
    Having just picked up the Bond Blu Ray collection I have just rematch Qos and ended up enjoying it 1000x more than I thought I would, having only watched it previously in the cinema and once on Dvd and really didn't like it to begin with .

I found the Blu Ray quality really helped with the fast cutting and I like what they were beginning to get into with Quantum and how it had infiltrated governments and corporations. I would have loved to have seen this thread play out in the background of later movies.

I also think it's one of the more visually interesting Modern Bond films I kept pausing the movie to soak up certain shots particularly in the scenes shot in Panama which looked gorgous.

My new Qos oppinion is it doesn't entirely deserve the scorn it gets and if EON had used the next film to give a fitting conclusion to the quantum storyline it would probably be looked back at as the difficult middle child of a trilogy and slightly more favourably.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,988Quartermasters
    Chriscoop wrote:

{[]

Completely agree with you, qos is one of my most watched films since its release

Completely agree that it has gotten better through the rear-view mirror view, esp. in comparison to SP...there is a lot of great stuff there, including some classic Bond moments. I DO have an issue with the editing (not the predictable critique of the 'fast cut' action stuff, which IMO does hurt the flow of some of those scenes to a subjective degree), in that I firmly believe that some of the quieter scenes should have been given an extra dramatic beat or two to 'breathe,' which would have added four or five minute to the running time but would have lifted the overall film up a notch.

My own opinion, naturally, and worth exactly what you paid to read it ;%
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    Sir Miles wrote:

I think it adds to the film's originality. My only criticism of the editing would be the part where the oddly focus on the woman's crotch at the Perla de Lunas.

I also prefer Mathis in QoS than in CR, and Craig in this than in all of his other films. It's a get it done mission - something that is missing from all the others.

It's satisfying.
    Very! {[]
    David Harbour who plays the annoying Gregg Beam plays the County Captain in Stranger Things - he's an excellent actor.

"Better make that two."
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,651MI6 Agent
    David Harbour who plays the annoying Gregg Beam plays the County Captain in Stranger Things - he's an excellent actor.

I saw him in Black Mass and A Walk Among the Tombstones and I don't think I can ever picture him as a pleasant character.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    I was invited to a preview of QoS and left somewhat underwhelmed but not too devastated. Nobody else at the preview seemed to like it (it was a Visit Britain corporate event so not exactly overflowing with Bond fans). As the days advanced afterwards I liked it less and less in retrospect. When it came out on DVD I still wasn't particularly thrilled and would certainly have put it well-down in the bottom-half of Bond films. Then about two years ago I was on a long flight and one of the films on offer in the seat-back entertainment system was QoS. I decided to give it another go and loved it. I like most films I see on aircraft, to be honest (something about a comfy chair, free booze and no other distractions) so I watched it again on BluRay a few weeks later at home and still loved it. Now it's well-up in my Top Ten.