Rolling Stones Fans, Excited About New Album?

Agent LeeAgent Lee Posts: 254MI6 Agent
Today the Stones officially announced their new studio album, "Blue & Lonesome", coming out in December. Ordinarily I wouldn't be that excited about the prospect of a new album, even from my favorite band, because let's face it, the stones are well past their prime in terms of turning out new material that's also relevant, but the fact that it's going to be an album of blues covers recorded on the fly in just three days makes me really excited. It's a perfect time for the stones to put something out that's raw and back to their blues roots/early 70's glory days. And from the sound of this preview track, we may have a winner on our hands:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJZA1TbTBbI

What say ye, fellow Stones fans? you excited? or are we just going to end up with another cash grab record?
Wish I Was at Disneyland, podcast about Disneyland, Disney news, Disney movies, Star Wars, and life in Southern California.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/wish-i-was-at-disneyland/id1202780413?mt=2

Comments

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,205MI6 Agent
    I saw The Stones play Earls Court in 1976 and it was awesome. To be honest anything they did after that pales into insignificance. I won't be buying.
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,564Chief of Staff
    I'll pick the album up at some point...The Stones are a good blues band -{
    YNWA 97
  • Mr SnowMr Snow Station "J" JamaicaPosts: 1,736MI6 Agent
    I listened to the one minute of Blue and Lonesome which sounded OK but it may only play for 02:16. There are only 12 tracks on this upcoming album and if that is going to be the average time for each song you will get less than 30 minutes of music.

I'm all for quality over quantity but when it comes to the 'blues', I prefer a song that has more of a substance to it and isn't a guitar solo that lasts only 30 seconds or so.

Think of some of the longer tracks played by the likes of BB King, Buddy Guy, Gary Moore, Albert King, Albert Collins, Clapton, Hendrix, David Gilmour, Chris Rea and Jimmy Page just to name a few.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Stones with 'Sticky Fingers' being my favourite album but I'll wait on this one and sample a few tracks before blind buying.
    "Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974; It's a scientific fact". - Homer J Simpson
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Thressa May, must be a fan as she had the Rolling Stones played before her
    big conference speech. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Really, I think the Stones should have bowed out after Tattoo You, their last truly great album. . .everything since has been only OK at best. Still, I'll probably buy it, for the same reason I have a lot of authors' complete novels--you need to have them all to understand the entire career.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • welshguy34welshguy34 Posts: 219MI6 Agent
    The Stones are my favourite band. I am a little disappointed that they are not doing an album of completely new and original material. It's been too long since the excellent and underrated "A Bigger Bang" which was their best album since the late 70s or early 80s. I will still buy the album no doubt.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    Very intrigued by the prospect of an album of blues covers from The World's Greatest Rock And Roll Band. Will pick up the vinyl B-)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Agent LeeAgent Lee Posts: 254MI6 Agent
    welshguy34 wrote:
    The Stones are my favourite band. I am a little disappointed that they are not doing an album of completely new and original material. It's been too long since the excellent and underrated "A Bigger Bang" which was their best album since the late 70s or early 80s. I will still buy the album no doubt.

I'll have to revisit A Bigger Bang. I've been revisiting a lot of their post-Tattoo You work and I've been finding that most of it holds up a lot better than the late-Stones reputation suggests.
    Wish I Was at Disneyland, podcast about Disneyland, Disney news, Disney movies, Star Wars, and life in Southern California.
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/wish-i-was-at-disneyland/id1202780413?mt=2
    Agent Lee wrote:
    welshguy34 wrote:

I'll have to revisit A Bigger Bang. I've been revisiting a lot of their post-Tattoo You work and I've been finding that most of it holds up a lot better than the late-Stones reputation suggests.

Yes there later work does hold up ok for the most part. The 80s were a pretty bad period for the band with Jagger and Richards not getting along too well and the albums were patchy. Their 90s albums were also pretty good.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,274MI6 Agent
    I did like Steel Wheels, some good stuff on that. Macca and The Who also came out of the fold around that time.

I'd prefer new material, for sure. Like Loeffs, I might look at this on vinyl. I suppose I shouldn't fetishise vinyl*, but there we are.

* Vinyl LPs I mean.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    I did like Steel Wheels, some good stuff on that. Macca and The Who also came out of the fold around that time.

I'd prefer new material, for sure. Like Loeffs, I might look at this on vinyl. I suppose I shouldn't fetishise vinyl*, but there we are.

* Vinyl LPs I mean.

Steel Wheels had some good stuff on it but was let down by a few crap songs like Terrifying. Continental Drift and Mixed Emotions are great though. I think Macca's album at the time was Flowers in the Dirt which was I believe a collaboration with Elvis Costello. It might be getting a remaster soon like previous Macca albums have recently.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters

* Vinyl LPs I mean.

:)) Righto. Well, for those who don't follow our exchanges in the vinyl thread...for me, analog (vinyl long-playing records) is 'High-Definition' sound, as it isn't compressed to fit in a digital file. The sound is so rich, in my own music room, that the difference between the two is prima facie B-)

I'm also considering Richards' latest, "Crosseyed Heart."
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM