Do you believe in clairvoyants/psychic mediums/fortune tellers?

Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,673MI6 Agent
psychic.jpg

Well, now. So far in my "Do you believe..." occasional series we have had ghosts and aliens/flying saucers. Now it is the turn of clairvoyancy, or put simply psychic powers. Put even simpler, the practitioners are known as psychic mediums or even that old fairground favourite the fortune teller.

So, the question stands as put by your Lordship, do you believe in such powers existing in any real sense or it always the case that such "powers" are merely used to deceive the innocent or foolish. Are they a sham to fill the pockets of the "gifted" psychic medium/fortune teller/mystic/clairvoyant?

Briefly, I have come to believe that most if not all of these psychic mediums are scam artists who rip off vulnerable people with their so-called "powers". Indeed, this we have seen time and time again and there are laws against fraudulent mediums in various countries around the world.

On the broader point of whether psychic phenomenon exist at all or not I would not like to venture an opinion on as I truly do not know one way or another. I am very doubtful about it, though. Put me firmly in the skeptic camp on this one, though.

I need to hear from you soon or I predict that something very bad will happen... ;)
"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    No ! ;) All frauds.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    I have an interesting true story about this, I may tell it later if you cross my palm with silver
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    NO. Codswallop!!
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    A lady in a sparkly shawl told me you'd start this thread. :D
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,519Chief of Staff
    Absolute tosspots the lot of them. X-(
    YNWA 97
    edited November 2016
    That's an angry response...was it a psychic who scratched your car?
    They used to have a psychic at my old local pub, which being the oldest pub in England was supposed to be overrun with the right atmosphere for such things 8-)
    Second week they were appearing had been very wet and a small beck flooded, Barring entrance to the pub, I got through in my range rover a few more in 4x4 s turned up people walked through etc etc anyway after the believers had gone upstairs to see this psychic the bar phone rang and the psychic cancelled due to unforseen circumstances! An Irish friend of mine pointed out even he'd forseen this.... By watching the weather forecast o would've only charged a fiver a head not ten quid for the heads up.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,766MI6 Agent
    My grandparents once contacted a psycic to help find a missing sheep. The sheep are left to wander around in the mountains all summer. It was never found....
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,519Chief of Staff
    Chriscoop wrote:
    That's an angry response...was it a psychic who scratched your car?

Not that I'm aware...although I'd be happy to kick them in the (crystal) balls !

I get angry because of the way these vermin prey on the vulnerable X-(
    YNWA 97
    Number24 wrote:
    My grandparents once contacted a psycic to help find a missing sheep. The sheep are left to wander around in the mountains all summer. It was never found....
    You phone 999 in this country for things like that :s
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    You phone 999 in this country for things like that :s

What part of the emergency services helps you with that? ?:)
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:

Number24's grandparents: "We'd like some help with a missing sheep, please."

Psychic: " Certainly. Just one moment, I'm just finishing my mutton soup and lamb chops. I'll be right with you..."
    "Leave them alone, and they will come home
    wagging their tails behind them" ..... I believe is
    the official Police advice. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:
    NO. Codswallop!!

Yep! {[]
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!

Right. No sensitive police force would spend time on this without proof of wrong doing.
    Number24 wrote:

Right. No sensitive police force would spend time on this without proof of wrong doing.
    You'd be amazed for the reasons people phone the police in this country, from the pizza I've had delivered is not what I ordered to my electric meter has run out of credit! Missing live stock, dogs and one woman who called to say someone had stolen all the geese from her local pond...... Those would be the migratory geese!!!
    Mr T had a show on bbc3 about "Fools" which always had a few phone calls to the police
    Which were brilliant :)) the guy who because his girlfriend had given his pizza to the dog
    Wanted both his girlfriend and dog arrested !
    :))
  • TennysonTennyson A View to a KillPosts: 606MI6 Agent
    I was a cop in the UK for far too long, I've been sent to some shocking jobs, one mum called us saying there was a disturbance at home, blue lights there, only to find her 12 year old wouldn't get out of bed as he was tired from playing Xbox all night.... she wanted us to arrest him as he would be late for school!?!

Another where a woman complained her husband put his marital status on Facebook as 'Widower'.....

unreal

as for fortunetellers... why are they all just normal people living normal lives... if i was one, i would be winning the lottery every week... utter ballcocks in my view
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,161MI6 Agent
    Charlatans the lot of them, feeding off the vulnerable - just like religion.
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    If one were a pragmatist, then "no," but if one believed in a realm beyond the material world, which would be roughly over 90% of the world's population, then there's room for such a belief in that "reality" in whatever shape or form and degree. I do think there exists many unscrupulous people who are nothing more than commercial opportunists who I think make up almost everything we see or run across of this subject in society.

Interestingly, however, I came across something in FB about a blind, 20th century Bulgarian mystic named Baba Vanga who had a seemingly high accuracy rate, though she also had her failures. But there's renewed interest in her lately because she supposedly predicted 9/11 as well as the first black U.S. President...the catch was though is that he will be the last U.S. President ever...buwaaahaahaa! Sitting on needles and pins here until January 20!
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,673MI6 Agent
    One of my favourite psychic spoofs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg_ROHBcggY

:))
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    A lot of these "psychics" are very good at reading people, and gleaning information from leading questions. My uncles ex partner swore by one, and spent a lot of money on readings
    Saying she just knows uncanny things.
    I told her to go to a different one, and take off all her jewellery but wear one of her rings on her wedding ring finger and take a taxi not turn up in the range rover, of course the new psychic got everything wrong, assuming she was struggling in life and had an unhappy marriage. They simply look at clues on your person. My wife's sister also went to one and was amazed how this stranger worked out she had 2 kids and was in a relationship.... Easy when she wears an engagement ring and has her kids names tattood on her wrist 8-)
    Gullibility is expensive!
    Cold reading plus body language explains how they get their infomation. Also humans have
    a habbit of remembering all the things mediums get right but forget all the things they
    get wrong. ;)
    Cold reading plus body language explains how they get their infomation. Also humans have
    a habbit of remembering all the things mediums get right but forget all the things they
    get wrong. ;)
    I sense your sceptical, a married man maybe? Yes married, you have an artistic streak you've used in your life, humour also runs strong within you, I'm sensing a coldness and damp...... You live in Northern Ireland......
    :)) I was a member of the Ulster society of magicians ( only to get girls , as magic is just so sexy to females ) ;)
    so I've read many books on mental magic ( my favourite ) so love the likes of Max Maven and Derren Brown,
    and I am truly sorry for anyone who believes this rubbish, as it's all 100% tricks !
    Darren brown proves this perfectly, a magician eh?
    " now than my dear, before your very eyes watch how I make your undergarments fall away and I'll make this big item disappear... Now you see it now you don't, now you see it again now you don't........... "
    :)) Derren always makes it clear that he has no special powers ;)
    My wife on watching one medium on tv, asked me hoe he knew about
    the layout and inside of an audience members house. I explained a
    list of audience members is always known about in advance, so getting
    a friend to call round, with an offer, asking to use the toilet for their child,
    or saying they were thinking of buying in the area, all sorts of ways to get in.
    Basically even looking through a window can yield lots of personal infomation.
    Also like the press, going through peoples rubbish can get amazing results, all
    to be produced as an amazing power. ;) ....... or do people really believe David
    Copperfield made the Statue of Liberty dissappear ? :D which believe it or not
    is a very simple illusion to do on TV.
    Oh I do believe it, the magic of silver screen made us all believe brozzer surfed a tidal wave in dad, which was very realistic...
    :)) There are a few obvious exceptions.
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,161MI6 Agent
    A sign on a meeting hall - Psychic Night this Friday 18th - over written on sign - Cancelled Due To Unforseen Circumstances :)) :D
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.