RM Williams Craftsman Sizing

Sorry for the non-Bond post, but the missus is thinking of buying me a pair of RM Williams Craftsman Chelsea boots, and she wants to make sure she gets the right pair in the right size. Chestnut is a given, but is the choice of Classic, Comfort, Kangaroo or Dynamic Flex just a question of personal preference? Were the screen-used ones in Layer Cake Classics or Comforts? Also, previous posts have said that the sizing is a bit off, despite the website saying that the boots are true to size. One poster says, "Size wise i am usually and 11 and bought an 11. Just to confuse you though i measured an 11.5 in the shop! I measure an 11 in C&J but always buy a 10.5. Might be to do with the thick socks i wear. To make it even harder to buy they also have loads of widths. I ended up with an 11 G."

Is it, truth be told, just better to go into to London and try various pairs on, because then Daddy won't get his boots on Crimble Morn....

Comments

• welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent
    I took my C&J size mate. The comfort craftsman is very stretchy hence VERY comfy to wear!!!

And yes! Go try them on when next in the city instead of going on the lash :D

PS - most comfy boots / shoes I own, feel more like trainers! Love em
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • canoe2canoe2 Posts: 2,007MI6 Agent
    Sorry for the non-Bond post, but the missus is thinking of buying me a pair of RM Williams Craftsman Chelsea boots, and she wants to make sure she gets the right pair in the right size. Chestnut is a given, but is the choice of Classic, Comfort, Kangaroo or Dynamic Flex just a question of personal preference? Were the screen-used ones in Layer Cake Classics or Comforts? Also, previous posts have said that the sizing is a bit off, despite the website saying that the boots are true to size. One poster says, "Size wise i am usually and 11 and bought an 11. Just to confuse you though i measured an 11.5 in the shop! I measure an 11 in C&J but always buy a 10.5. Might be to do with the thick socks i wear. To make it even harder to buy they also have loads of widths. I ended up with an 11 G."

Is it, truth be told, just better to go into to London and try various pairs on, because then Daddy won't get his boots on Crimble Morn....

There is a massive thread over on styleforum.net just about R.M. Williams. The thread was started in 2006, so you may be better to jump to the last page and work your way back.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/21179/rm-williams-boots-everything-you-wanted-to-know

Hope that helps!
  • VandrellVandrell London, EnglandPosts: 324MI6 Agent
    That was me that said my sizing was a bit off so i can only recommend trying A pair on. Having said that everyone else i know bought true to size.

Definatly go for comfort craftsman though.
  • GSGS Posts: 333MI6 Agent
    I'm with Welshboy, they are seriously comfortable
    For size comparison I wear RM Williams in 8g, C&J Skye and Islay in 8E and Church's Ryder 3s in 8F. Also wear Nike air max in uk size 8....
  • 007Downunder007Downunder Hobart, Australia Posts: 373MI6 Agent
    Echo Welshboy's comments I've got a couple of pairs ( wear black with suits for work) and have worn RMs for decades . Really comfy after a holiday in the states a few years ago I bought a hand made pair of Lucchese's but have gone back to RMs.
    I'm 11 in RMs and 13 in sneakers such as Asics
    Anthony
  • The Bond VivantThe Bond Vivant SeendPosts: 1,325MI6 Agent
    Thanks, Gentlemen! I've discovered that there is a stockist an hour or so away, so I will try a few pairs on to get the right fit. Can't wait, now!

Cheers then,

Blair
  • Jeff LynneJeff Lynne Washington DCPosts: 53MI6 Agent
    I rotate between 3 pairs right now myself. I'll start by answering your question as best I can regarding the Layer Cake shoes. They're the Craftsmans (if we have all agreed that they're not Henley's) and not Comfort due to the leather sole (Comforts have a rubber sole). Now onto sizing, as it's still not perfected 3 pairs in.

My first pair were Chestnut Comfort Craftsmans that I ordered in 9G, my usual size for dress shoes/boots, but ended up exchanging for 8.5G. The 9's weren't snug and keeping in mind that they will stretch a little over time I ultimately decided to size down. The 8.5G's felt slightly narrow at first but have since broken in and feel great. Out of the 3, they are by far the most comfortable. My daily wearers are a pair of Gardeners in 8.5G that have a rounded toe box instead of chisel, they fit very much the same. And last are a pair of Suede Craftsmans in 9G that for some reason fit identical to the previous two. So I fit somewhere between 8.5 and 9. In the future I may try 8.5H (the wide option) to see if the narrowness goes away without adding too much width. Or I'll try the Henley or Tambo which are made with a wider toe box.

Another thing I will mention that I didn't think about on my first purchase is what are you planning to wear these shoes with? Even though most are labeled "Dress/Casual" the Comforts appear very much "Dress" to me in person. They are very shiny which is why my day-to-day pair are the Gardeners, which have less shine and more of a casual look that I think looks better with a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. Even the Gardeners I've pulled off wearing a suit with on several occasions. Not trying to push that model specifically, there are other models that lean more on the casual side, just adding my two cents.

Hopefully some of this has been helpful. Regardless, you won't be disappointed. The only negative to owning RMW is wanting all of them in all of the colors.

Good luck!

Edit: Noticed your location is London. If you can, head over to the shop on New Bond St. That's where I got my Suede Craftsmans. Excellent staff there and very friendly.
    Thanks for the extra info. I was actually considering chancing it, as, based on their sizing info on the site, and video, I'm pretty much bang on an 8 1/2 , and a G on their width scale. I haven't updated my profile on this site, as I've now moved to Wiltshire, and the nearest stockist is in Burford, in Oxfordshire, some hour and a half away, hence my initial thoughts on gambling and ordering without trying them on, as it would be a bit of a schlep there and back. But you have thrown a little kitten amongst the pigeons with the mild variation in sizes, widths, and the stretching issue, too. Mmmmm. I would be wearing them as everyday boots, so the shine question is another facet I hadn't given much thought to. I have visited the store on New Bond Street, when I bought the kangaroo plaited belt, but wasn't planning on going up to London until the first week of the new year, and the missus would really like me to have something to open on Christmas morn. May have to schlep to Burford, after all!

Thanks, again, for all your input!

Blair
    If you do make the trip and want some local pub/restaurant recommendations let me know! I live very close to Burford... also would be worth calling the shop first to check they have a range of sizes in stock first. I'm pretty sure they carry a limited range there.
    So shot over to RM in Burford (sorry GS- no time to check out the local hostelries). They had a pair of Craftsmsn Comforts in a size 8.5G, which were a little loose in the heel, and a pair of leather soles in an 8, which were surprisingly almost spot on, as I'm an 8.5 E in almost everything. Reckon I need to try on an 8.5F or an 8H, which really means going up to Bond Street in the new year. Thanks for all your advice. And they are bloody comfortable....
    Maybe next time! Glad you're closing in on your size
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    edited December 2016
    I tried on a 8H and they were perfect...keep in mind they will stretch a bit so be wary of roominess....also ordered from an online store in Australia for $330 as opposed to the $495 the RM store wanted!

Boots Online - Stitching Horse Bootery
    380 Burnley St
    Burnley VIC 3121 AUSTRALIA
    barry@bootsonline.com.au
    Ph 03-9421-4531 International +61-3-9421-4531
    http://www.bootsonline.com.au
    I believe Vutton group etc has bought out RM Williams (one of the huge deluxe brands groups anyhow) hence price hike earlier this year.

As Mantis says they were pretty cheap direct from Oz. Not sure if this is still the case under new ownership, if that rumour is true
  • 007Downunder007Downunder Hobart, Australia Posts: 373MI6 Agent
    In Oz there is a big difference in price in local stores ( not RMW) one about AUS$395 another down the road an extra $100!
    Anthony
    The price hike was crazy. They went up £50 between Oct and Dec last year when i bought two of my pairs.

With regards to heel movement. When i bought mine (from the Bond street store) i was told on both occasions that there should be a little movement in the heel area which mine do have. It feels a little strange at first but they are so comfy.
    Yes, when I spoke to Inna in the Bond Street store, she said that a cm or so of slip is normal. Any more, though, and the inner heal leather can wear away quite quickly. Also, she mentioned that no two pairs are identically made, as they have seasoned craftsmen making them, but also newer apprentices, and each have their own methods and mannerisms when crafting the boots. They may look standard, but they have subtle variations that would explain why some, a bit like you, Vandrell, can find differences in individual pairs of the same boot.

Those prices direct from Oz look very tempting. Must try a few more pairs on in the flesh to get a better handle on which size I am, in principal.

So the search for a Christmas present from the missus continues. Any thoughts?

Blair
    For those that own a pair, did it take a few wearings to properly break in?
    I found them pretty comfortable from reasonably early on, they are definitely tighter for the first few wears.
    Same. They certainly give a little after a couple of wears but i had no trouble with wearing them in as such. If anything they just get more comfortable after the first couple.
    Thanks....that's what I wanted to hear.... :)
    Finally went for the 8 1/2s in an F fitting! Just in time for Christmas!

Cheers, all!

Blair
    I'm sure you will love them, glad they arrived in time. Merry Christmas
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,418Chief of Staff
    Finally went for the 8 1/2s in an F fitting! Just in time for Christmas!

Cheers, all!

Blair

Pics please - obviously after Santa has left them ;%
    YNWA 97
    Here are the little bay-oot-ees, with a pair of FRAME jeans: Happy Christmas, One and All

IMG_6678_zpswrd44ddy.jpg

IMG_6677_zpss1d4uzxl.jpg

IMG_6680_zpsaod0lr69.jpg

Thinking of getting a pair in their limited edition Forest Green, which are actually a more Petrol Blue:

IMG_6508_zpsb9smm0k5.jpg

IMG_6512_zpsx384xvh0.jpg

Cheers,

B
    Congrats! I am tempted by the distressed tan ones!

Merry Xmas Blair! -{
  • sruzgarsruzgar Welcome to ScotlandPosts: 1,468MI6 Agent
    Looks fantastic! Next for me is Chocolate Brown Suede
    Is that the box in the background? Good to see they have upgraded them as the couple I have look crap next to C&J ones.

Congrats -{
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,418Chief of Staff
    Nice, thanks - love the jeans -{
    YNWA 97