Westminster Attack

CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
Just saw the news about the attack on Westminster Bridge and outside Parliament. This whole incident is particularly bizarre and chilling given the fact this is where the end of SPECTRE took place.
3_E86_EACE00000578_4338998_image_a_75_149019743246.jpg

Comments

• Ammo08Ammo08 Missouri, USAPosts: 387MI6 Agent
    I've stood on that area of Westminster Bridge many times..my prayers for the families of the victims...
    "I don't know if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who mean it."-Mark Twain
    'Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect.'- Benny Hill (1924-1992)
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,764MI6 Agent
    So far it looks like the police have done a good job. It's very hard to keep completely safe from this type of attack. The victims include police officers and many civilians, including French pupils visiting London.
    It does feel close to home when Westerners are the victims of terror, but it's important to keep in mind that more than 95% of terror victims live in other parts of the world.
  • CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
    This is true. It seems to have a much larger shock to people who live in relatively peaceful cities. It's even more of a shock when it happens near famous landmarks like this. Sort of like having a piano fall from the sky on a bright, sunny day on an unsuspecting victim. Another reason 911 had such a psychological impact.
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Terrible news, I too have stood there many times and my daughter works close by, so it was a shock.

The Home Secretary has made a statement which includes this response to the terrorists: "The British people will be united in working together to defeat those who would harm our shared values. Values of democracy, tolerance and the rule of law. Values symbolised by the Houses of Parliament. Values that will never be destroyed."
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent
    Looks like they have ID'd the terrorist as a local known hate preacher!

Man that bridge is crazy busy with tourists!

RIP to the poor souls today
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • Bond44Bond44 Vauxhall CrossPosts: 1,581MI6 Agent
    edited March 2017
    It was never a case of if, but purely when.... we have been lucky the death toll was so low with 13 previous attempts foiled on mainland UK in last 12 months alone.

As they say an attacker like this only has to be lucky once, we have to be lucky every day - some days that luck will simply run out as it did today.

My condolences to all those involved :(

Wrote and entry in my diary simple says 'Bugger' - but life goes on and today's attacker in the papers tomorrow, will be a wrapping in the fish and chip shop the day after, what a shame - NOT. People like this attacker do not deserve the publicity of their actions - those who have sent him swiftly on his way deserve a medal.

Cheers :007)
    My name is Bond, Basildon Bond - I have letters after my name!
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,210Chief of Staff
    Theresa May: "Our thoughts and prayers go out to all who have been affected... Let me make it clear today... any attempt to defeat those values through violence is doomed to failure....Londoners will get up and go about their day as normal... they will walk these streets, they will live their lives... never giving into terror and never allowing the voices of hate and evil to drive us apart."
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,153MI6 Agent
    Winston Churchill: He hopes, by killing large numbers of civilians, and women and children, that he will terrorise and cow the people of this mighty imperial city, and make them a burden and anxiety to the Government…Little does he know the spirit of the British nation, or the tough fibre of the Londoners…who have been bred to value freedom far above their lives. This wicked man, the repository and embodiment of many forms of soul-destroying hatreds, this monstrous product of former wrongs and shame, has now resolved to try to break our famous Island race by a process of indiscriminate slaughter and destruction. What he has done is to kindle a fire in British hearts, here and all over the world, which will glow long after all traces of the conflagration he has caused in London have been removed.

As appropriate today as back in WW2.
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    I was there just last July. England and its people are always close to my heart, so my thoughts go out to all the victims and their survivors.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Saddened to hear that it happened again :(
    Those attackers enjoy our freedom and hate it - I'll never understand.

Our thoughts are with our brothers and sisters in the UK - particularly with those that have lost their lifes and their health.

Our thanks go out to those who are protecting us and have helped the victims after the attack.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    My thoughts are with all the poor victims of this terrible attack, and the Brave police police officer
    Keith Palmer. I can't believe that the police at the gate area of parliament were unarmed ! Perhaps
    They could at least be issued with concealed weapons, or at least some sort of quick access to
    Some.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    Theresa May: "Our thoughts and prayers go out to all who have been affected... Let me make it clear today... any attempt to defeat those values through violence is doomed to failure....Londoners will get up and go about their day as normal... they will walk these streets, they will live their lives... never giving into terror and never allowing the voices of hate and evil to drive us apart."

Politically speaking, I don't like the Prime Minister.
    However I firmly approve and appreciate she said this. My thoughts are with the victims and their families, and I apply that to all those affected by such cowardly and despicable actions around the world.
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    Dang, that is so sad. I love London and walked across that bridge as recently as February.
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
    Winston Churchill: He hopes, by killing large numbers of civilians, and women and children, that he will terrorise and cow the people of this mighty imperial city, and make them a burden and anxiety to the Government…Little does he know the spirit of the British nation, or the tough fibre of the Londoners…who have been bred to value freedom far above their lives. This wicked man, the repository and embodiment of many forms of soul-destroying hatreds, this monstrous product of former wrongs and shame, has now resolved to try to break our famous Island race by a process of indiscriminate slaughter and destruction. What he has done is to kindle a fire in British hearts, here and all over the world, which will glow long after all traces of the conflagration he has caused in London have been removed.

As appropriate today as back in WW2.
    -{
    Firemass wrote:
    Dang, that is so sad. I love London and walked across that bridge as recently as February.

I had flashbacks when this happened - I visited the city while in the Navy - and it was 40 years ago to this month when I walked across that bridge. I stood around the area for a long time and just breathed in the sights and the history that surrounded me. Though it was cold it was actually mostly sunny the week I was there - I do not remember it even raining. My wife and I plan on an extended visit to the UK someday - bugger the terrorists and crazies. It Hitler could not crush the British spirit these nutters certainly never will...
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    If Hitler could not crush the British spirit these nutters certainly never will...
    {[]
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,988Quartermasters
    chrisisall wrote:
    If Hitler could not crush the British spirit these nutters certainly never will...
    {[]

^ +1
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • JellyfishJellyfish EnglandPosts: 465MI6 Agent
    I think this is fitting in the wake of the Westminster attack; M's Tennyson poem from Skyfall:

We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    My son is a Westminster response officer (999) that is his patch ,and even though we knew he was safe we still sat with intrepidation as to who was going to be named as the slain police officer, he has many friends and colleagues who we know ,and attended his wedding , we knew it wasny him ,but you still sit there and wait for that dreadful announcement . PC Keith Palmer paid the ultimate price ,lets hope his death was not in vain .Keith was a ex Royal Artillery soldier ,and a keen Charlton football fan ,his seat at the valley will be empty ,and those who sat around him ,will all be saying ,that was him .The great British public ,have so far donated £600,000 for Keiths family and we can only feel for Mrs Palmer in her hour of grief . RIP Keith ,you are a true hero of London .
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    Attacks like these show both sides of humanity, the evil violence of terrorist scumbags.
    To the bravery, generosity and empathy of decent human beings.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,153MI6 Agent
    My son is a Westminster response officer (999) that is his patch ,and even though we knew he was safe we still sat with intrepidation as to who was going to be named as the slain police officer, he has many friends and colleagues who we know ,and attended his wedding , we knew it wasny him ,but you still sit there and wait for that dreadful announcement . PC Keith Palmer paid the ultimate price ,lets hope his death was not in vain .Keith was a ex Royal Artillery soldier ,and a keen Charlton football fan ,his seat at the valley will be empty ,and those who sat around him ,will all be saying ,that was him .The great British public ,have so far donated £600,000 for Keiths family and we can only feel for Mrs Palmer in her hour of grief . RIP Keith ,you are a true hero of London .

-{
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
    https://youtu.be/9RcmVobP320
    Andrew Neil made a fantastic speech about the attack.
    It's not often I'm impressed by him, but that was well said.
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    Now I cant name names ect ,but we have an acquaintance ,who is a Palace of Westminster (Met Police ) officer ,now not only did he witness the death of PC Keith Palmer ,which is bad enough ,but also witnessed the shooting by the CP officer of the assailant too . Now I don't know if any of our AJB agents have witnessed death in the course of their duty (I have on several occasions) and it never leaves you . It haunts you.Now wether our friend ,can finish his career with the Met I hope so ,but who can tell ,we just hope for his sake and his family ,he can put it behind him ,and lead a normal life again .
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    edited April 2017
    Now I cant name names ect ,but we have an acquaintance ,who is a Palace of Westminster (Met Police ) officer ,now not only did he witness the death of PC Keith Palmer ,which is bad enough ,but also witnessed the shooting by the CP officer of the assailant too . Now I don't know if any of our AJB agents have witnessed death in the course of their duty (I have on several occasions) and it never leaves you . It haunts you.Now wether our friend ,can finish his career with the Met I hope so ,but who can tell ,we just hope for his sake and his family ,he can put it behind him ,and lead a normal life again .

Unfortunately in my time I have witnessed death on several occasions - as you say you never forget it, but you can learn to accept it. Memories will still be pretty raw right now but time is a great healer. If your 'friend' is suffering the best thing he can do is seek help, not to take the memory away, but to learn techniques which will help him cope. Reality is he is not alone everyone who witnessed this or other events at first hand will also be suffering (probably in silence). The shock of such an event causes Post Traumatic Stress (PTS note the dropping of Disorder as its not a disorder and only give stigma to a serious mental injury) and affects many in different ways. It is made worse by the macho image we have had ingrained throughout our uniformed service, meaning we feel weak if we ask for help - it takes real strength of character to admit you are suffering and to get help.

Tell him he is not alone, to hang on in there, but to seek help and it will get easier with time, I wish him good luck he can get through this!

Cheers :007)
    I don't know if any of our AJB agents have witnessed death in the course of their duty

Many, many times: I was a nurse for 32 years. These were not, of course, violent deaths but the result of illness or accident.
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    I've also witnessed death, violent, needless and natural. We all deal with these things differently, I seem to have some inbuilt coping mechanism and during traumatic times something seems to take over? If that makes sense?. I hope your friend copes with his experience and finishes his career in a peaceful and happy manner, as Bond44 says he will never forget.... None of us do.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    Chriscoop wrote:
    I've also witnessed death, violent, needless and natural. We all deal with these things differently, I seem to have some inbuilt coping mechanism and during traumatic times something seems to take over? If that makes sense?. I hope your friend copes with his experience and finishes his career in a peaceful and happy manner, as Bond44 says he will never forget.... None of us do.

That's called training dear boy - and that's why we train :007)