Random Chat!!! (All Welcome!)

Comments

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,686MI6 Agent

Too true. An example of absurdism, if you will. I really must look at pictures more closely next time! πŸ™‚

Touché.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,785MI6 Agent
    edited June 2023

I'm listening to Dan Carlin's "Hardcore history" podcast and the episode is about slavery. Dan Carlin's Hardcore History: BLITZ Human Resources on Apple Podcasts. (highly recomended, but the lengths of these episodes are hard core). Suddenly I recognized a name: Jean-Jaque Dessaline. Wasn't the name of Bond's hotel on Haiti in QoS Dessaline? It was. Jean-Jaque Dessaline was the leader of the slave revolt on Haiti starting in 1791 leading to the Haitian revolution of 1805. He commanded armies of freed slaves of the size of 30-40 000. This was the first slave revolt in the western hemisphere that really succeded and even ended in statehood. Dessaline became the emperor of Haiti and is seen as the father of the nation. Cool.

edited June 2023

Today the Wife Carrying world championship were held in Finland as usual. This year's winners used the Estonian style: carrying the woman upside down on his back while holding her by her knees. The winners are awarded the wife's weight in beers. 😁

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,183MI6 Agent

We’re spending a few days on Leyte, a lot of Mrs CHB’s family live there. We had a bbq on the beach yesterday…

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,245MI6 Agent

Yummy 😎😎

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,277Chief of Staff

Must not be jealous.....

Keep smiling....

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,686MI6 Agent

It's dreek weather here too, @Barbel. 😞

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

I'm slightly exaggerating, today seems quite good so far.

Going out with a bunch of pals later to see "Elvis".

• JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent

Many months ago I wrote to Barbara Broccoli to tell her that I was available to take over as James Bond from Daniel Craig. I sent a photograph and explained that I am Sean Connery's height, have George Lazenby's acting experience, and that I am perfect for the job because I am very hansome (which is obvious from the photograph) and sophisticated and that I will obviously be a great hit with women all over the world which will be good for tickets sales at the new film.

I have not heard from her and suspect my letter might have got lost in the post?!

The only other reason I can think of is that I was far too modest when I was describing myself?!

Can't understand why she hasn't replied. Having George Lazenby's acting experience should have sealed the deal.

edited July 2022

Your letter must've gotten lost in the mail, obviously. I have simular qualifications to be cast as Bond, but I feel the Bond actors should have English as their first language. As a result groups like Norwegians and Americans should disqualify themselves from the casting.

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,245MI6 Agent

Perhaps you should have written it in Craig - Speak.

• JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent

I could change my hair colour?

I will ask my wife to make a navy commander uniform and then I think I will go and sit outside the office!

If I am correct I think George Lazenby did something like this to get known (not the commander uniform but dressing like Bond and going to the offices of eon)?

It might work twice?!

• hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent

Chubby Brown has been cancelled in Morecambe. He was scheduled to perform there, but the woke brigade have piped up and put a petition in to the council, banning him from performing at the venue.

59 people have signed it and the council are listening.

Chubb's humour might not be everyone's cup of tea, but if you don't like him,then don't go to see him.

Why ruin it for those that do like him. Never understood that.

Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
    edited July 2022

The Woke Beast is now out of control and heading your way. Freedom of speech has now been eradicated, anyone with opposing views are shut down immediately, if you don’t tow the party line you will be silenced. We live in very dangerous times, George Orwell’s 1984 is here and there is little resistance. Anonymous councillors and the like are now telling you what you can watch and listen to and it will get worse as time goes on.

I watched a documentary about Roy Chubby Brown on YouTube a few years ago and it was actually quite interesting seeing the creative writing process he went through. It consisted of him getting the Sunday papers and making jokes out of the stories by writing words down and seeing what came to mind from them. It's not my type of humour but I do concede he has a talent and I think he should be left alone and if people want to see him they can. Those that don't wish to see him can stay away and surely no real harm is done?

This so-called woke culture is dangerous as like rampant political correctness it takes away the release valve of laughing at ourselves and not taking ourselves too seriously. I recall this making the news a while back too though I'm not sure if it's the same council or another one following precedent.

I've spent parts of the evening watching women's football on TV even though I don't really like the game. Does this mean I'm a lesbian at heart or is it simply because I'm supposed to clean and wash the house? πŸ€”

Yes, you're absolutely right. There's no free speech, we live in a feminist versjon of North Korea where every man who wolf whistles at a woman is jailed imediately and Michael Bay has been executed while all his movies were burnt. πŸ˜‚

• GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,294MI6 Agent
    edited July 2022

and so did Wang Yu in "Chinese Boxer" , wear a mask that is

I can only remember TV3 showing The Mummy at like 2-3 am in the early 90s , i read it in a tv guide but never saw it......cant remember them showing other Hammers , not even on ppv FilmNet. I did see Horror Express which was a spanish Hammer-esque movie , spooky to watch at age 8....at least back in the 80s

It’s difficult to ascertain if you’re taking the Arthur Bliss out of my comment, or agreeing with it, but wolf whistling IS a sexual harassment offence in the UK. I will refrain from commenting further as it will become political, and that is (fortunately) banned on this site, and Barbel doesn’t need the hassle πŸ™‚

Let's say I felt you were exagerating somewhat and I wanted to join you. 😁

I wasn’t exaggerating.

edited October 2022

"Freedom of speech has now been eradicated, anyone with opposing views are **** down imediately".

Yes, you were exagerating. Are you aware the British PM recently had to resign because many used their freedom of speech? Playboy still exists, Infowars still exists, I read a communist newspaper ever weekend, the BBC just made a documentary series where travel around the US interviewing Louis Theroux meets leaders of the new far right (including one young man who's against boring rights for women). There is obviously room for opposing views. I'm not saying "woke" culture can be problematic and freedom of speech can't in som cases be limited by this, but the West is still defined by free speech. Unfortunately PC thinking isn't the only obstacle against free speech. The day before the Oslo Pride march an extreme muslim opened fire against a pub frequented by gay people and killed two. Especially if you're female and/or immigrant and state your opponions in public you will get harrassed online. You're probably aware of the Nobel peace prize winner in your own country and the problems she faces when it comes to free speech. There are many challenges when it comes to free speech, wokism is far from the only one, but generally speaking free speech in the West is alive and well.

Indeed, and I recommend our PM feature as an excellent way to exercise such free speech away from the eyes of others. πŸ™‚

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent

Working my way through the box set of Mission Impossible the TV Series. I thought it amazing that in

The series 3 two part story The Bunker. They invented the drone !

To get a drug to a trapped scientist they made a small disc powered by several small propellers that would

fly via remote control through the air condition system.

"I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    edited July 2022

I watched an episode of Mark Felton Productions on YouTube about drones in WWII. The US made and used killer drones against the Japanese near the end of the war! The first miltary drones were made, but not used operationally, in WWI.

edited July 2022

I was searching for ages for the Prime Minister feature and I can’t find it!! πŸ˜πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‰

Ah yes, we're currently looking for a new one. 😁