Random Chat!!! (All Welcome!)

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,217Chief of Staff

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,672MI6 Agent
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

😁😁😁

No Reply....

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,126MI6 Agent

This happened once before.

"Any of the opposition around..?"

Yesterday?

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,155MI6 Agent

Any Time At All

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,765MI6 Agent

In a few days we have to say goodbye to the sun for the winter in this neighbourhood. It goes with the territory if the territory is mountainous and to the north.

Misery πŸ™

I hope it's not a long, cold, lonely winter

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,672MI6 Agent

The Winter of Discontent is upon us it would appear.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

It's not so bad when there's a fire in the stove and I'm sitting in a good chair, drinking Coke Zero and watching OHMSS.

I have to have the aircon on freezer mode and a mug of hot chocolate with whipped cream to view OHMSS here 😁

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,238MI6 Agent

So, Britain consigns another Prime Minister to the dust. Seven weeks this one lasted. At the risk of insulting all Italians, isn't this the sort of revolving door policy we used to take the piss out of Italian politics for??? The Conservative Party is a complete shambles. I'm not going to start a politics discussion, but it is about time politicians in the U.K. started to understand they are elected to represent the best interests of the constituents who voted them in, not their own ideological rhetoric. Being an MP or a PM is not a position for laziness or for heavyhandedness. It is a position of responsibility towards as many as 63million people. These egotists need to take a long reflective look at themselves before they even consider standing for Parliament because frankly the vast majority of them across all divides don't really give a toss about the public. Truss has just proved the damage to all self-indulgence and unchallenged narcissism can do. Goodbye and good riddance. As for the next PM? I give them less than a year. The system and the people inside it are shot to pieces.

edited October 2022

I'm just happy that my favourite PM, the gentlemanly Sir Alec Douglas-Home, has for the first time beaten a modern PM in terms of length of tenure. Never thought that would happen although I had my concerns about Liz Truss being something of a political lightweight, despite her 10 years in Cabinet. She seemed to lack conviction and she and her Chancellor Kwasi Kwarteng clearly thought they knew it all and didn't want to listen to seasoned advisors who disagreed with them. In fact, Kwarteng sacked the most experienced advisor in the Treasury when he came into office. That, and surrounding themselves with too many like-minded ministers, was what ultimately led to their downfall. A case of pride coming before the fall, if ever there was one.

edited October 2022

A plane overshot the runway upon landing last night at Mactan-Cebu airport. There are no casualties and the plane has been drained of fuel pending removal. The plane landed during inclement weather. The airport is closed for the time being. There has been electrical storms for the past two days and on Saturday night a huge flash of lightning took out the electrical system here and we were on generator power for 18 hours.

That looks spectacular! Best of all - there were no casualties.

edited October 2022

I have an Asus laptop and yesterday I ran Windows update. This normal runs auto, but this update was requested for some reason. Its version 22H2 of Windows 11. The reason I ask is it is playing havoc with my WiFi connex. I use a mobile hotspot coz it's cheap for my purposes and tho' some upgrades take time, this one is nuts. Four goes and it never completes or auto installs. When it's downloading, my whole system keeps logging in and out of WiFi, and I can't stream anything. This morning, I thought I had it solved, as it didn't try to download, but tonight it's stuck on 77%. Usually it gets stuck at 100% and never installs. Anyone know what's the trouble with this ? When I run Help, it just reloads the update and everything starts again...

Only hours after Elon Musk's "no censorship" rule was implemented on Twitter the use of the N-word increased by 500 %. This isn't promising.

Making Twitter more of a cesspit than it is already? Yeah, that'll work! πŸ˜‰

I’ve never used Twitter and don’t really know how it is used, but if the N-word was previously censored, presumably banned from being used, how can the use of it be increased by 500% when it wasn’t allowed to be used before, anyway?

I haven't used Twitter for years. I never really understood the point of being disturbed all day by people with nothing to do except tell you their thoughts and feelings. I find it annoying that people in positions of power now use it as a platform to announce things of real importance which you never learn of. If something effects everyone, or a large proportion of people, it should not be hidden in the Twittersphere.

I've never used Twitter either. Maybe they counted censored uses of the N-word pre-Musk versus the number of uses after?

Censorship is a very difficult issue. Free speech is very important, a cornerstone of democracy. One the other hand one doesn't want to wade in a cesspool when visiting social media and one especially want to avoid tweets that encourage violence and other crimes. I don't think there's an easy answer.

• Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent

I use Twitter all the time but I only use it to follow news, journalists, some celebs, TV shows ... I don't follow randoms or anyone I know personally. I also very rarely tweet myself. I mainly just read.

It's easy to see how you end up in an echo chamber though if you just follow like minded people. It's easy to think everyone thinks the same as you.

edited November 2022

I use Twitter a fair bit and have over 2,500 followers (I'm @Dragonpol on there if you want to give me a follow). I've been on it since 2010 but it wasn't until 2012 or so that I actually started to use it. I tend to mostly retweet Bond and Columbo etc. news and articles and sometimes I reply to other tweets or (less frequently) tweet something original of my own. I don't have any problems with it but then I don't post anything controversial or debate on politics or other divisive topics. It's like everything. You can easily find trouble and controversy if you really want to look for it. #BondTwitter is a good community to be a part of, but I can understand why people are put off by Twitter. The secret is getting into a like-minded community or grouping and only following people you want to follow and not following those you don't want to, so you don't see their tweets in your feed. I find it quite useful for disseminating information and helping to promote new books and articles one wants to champion. I doubt that Elon Musk taking over Twitter is going to be a good thing - as the Lord Mayor in the 1979 British General Election result in James Callaghan's seat in East Cardiff once said to a persistent heckler, "Free speech isn't everybody's entitlement. When one asks for free speech, one must expect to give it." Some Twitter users could do with getting that into their thick skulls. Sadly, I can't see that happening as some people online (not to mention in the real world) are so intransigent and set in their ways that they'll never change and will always be up for an argument. They certainly don't need any encouragement and it sounds like that is what Musk will be giving them en masse. That can't be good for anyone using the platform.

Sean Connery’s favourite place to gamble.

😁😁😁