Random Chat!!! (All Welcome!)

Comments

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,673MI6 Agent

Thanks, I'll have to have a look on 4 On Demand or something.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,766MI6 Agent

Merry Christmas to everyone!

Or as we say in these parts: God Jul! 🎄😃

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,673MI6 Agent
    edited December 2022

Merry Christmas to all members of AJB! 🙂

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,270MI6 Agent

The name of this thread is 'Random Chat' @Silhouette Man

Wishing jab members a Merry Christmas on 24 December - Christmas Eve - is a pretty far sight from random.

I dreamt about having sex with Dame Judi Dench a few nights ago. (She was pretty good actually.) That's random.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Sorry for not being random enough for you, @Napoleon Plural. I think I more than make up for it in my other posts here though! 😀

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,222Chief of Staff

Not wishing to cause any problems, I've confined my Seasons Greetings to elsewhere.

https://www.ajb007.co.uk/discussion/52835/imaginary-conversations/p82#latest

All isforivein @Silhouette Man ninths spirit of drunkenness!

Her0 is some there uburubish for Xmas d|ay!

Roger Moore 1927-2017

More rubbish!

For those of a certain Hera, this was th e biz!

Roger Moore 1927-2017

I woudln;t go soft on you - Po-face!

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Another Dinky! No5 wo t435 5hiw 5im3 5houth1

HIc! I mean, not so great this time however! The Lady Penelope Car is this best - but mint versions are so rare and around £500 online!

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Back on subject! Bond - only Bond!

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Away from subject - The Avengers!

Away from the subject - The New Avengers. Though I never recall these vehicles....

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    edited December 2022

Me (far right, 00235 if you must know) and Mum and sister, Richmond Ice Rink circa 1980.

They would play Human League's Don't You Want Me, OMD's Souvenir and Ottowan's Hands Up also Buck Fizz Land of Make Believe, however Dad complained to the DJ about the music, only really liking Hands Up! Sign of times, we got him in to watch Some Like It Hot this evening.

He took the picture.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    edited December 2022

I think we should set up some basic guidelines to avoid unfortunate situations like this in the future. Would a a Merry Christmas post from me in Swedish in February be random enough? A sex dream about Dame Judi is clearly random, but is a sex dream about Miss Moneypenny random enough for this thread? Are sex dreams about some Moneypennys more random than others? This thread is full of pitfalls and we are desperately looking to you for leadership, NP! 😁

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,222Chief of Staff

Instant nostalgia, thanks NP!

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,161MI6 Agent
    edited December 2022

Richmond Ice Rink - bloody hell !! Used to be a meet-up place for us teenage school kids in the early 70’s - many a happy hour spent there trying to get off with a pretty girl hahahaha. Hated the skating though - I always ended up on my arse 😂

We went to the local Wimpy in Twickers for a sophisticated meal afterwards 😁

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

Today the roads are slippery as ice rinks, but I haven't hit/crashed into any pretty women yet. 😂

edited December 2022

Let's embrace our childish side for a moment and ask: what did you get for Christmas? Especially anything Bondian so far I don't think so. That is unless Bond has worn a sweater in Marino woll. But because of a slow postal service I'm waiting for Kim Sherwood's "Double or nothing". It's nice to have something left to look forward to, I think.

How about you?

edited January 2023

I'd like to know how the last few weeks have been for the American members here. Has the weather caused a lot of problems, perhaps even severe problems? I hope not.

• Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent

Two days of leaks of Prince Harry's book and I'm exhausted. Frozen penis, drugs, dog bowls, arse slapping, small bedrooms ... What a ride!!

Absolute bonkers stuff and it's not even out until the 10th. 🤣

edited January 2023

I wonder if my namesake at another place, David Dragonpol, will feature at all or if the events at Euro Disney resort in Paris in 1992 will get a mention? Maybe that affair was all hushed up by MI6? 😉

By the sounds of it the Taliban ("killed 25") is a greater threat to Prince Harry now as a result of this memoir raking over old wounds than a certain serial killing eccentric ex-actor once was... 💀

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,930MI6 Agent
    edited January 2023

I noticed this photo when browsing the Steve Hoffman forum, a forum for record collectors

note the fine print: "From the exclusive recipe of Miss Pussy Galore"

so what is it? an actual can of food product that once existed?

no, turns out it was a marketing gimmick for an early rock'n'roll group named The Treniers, promoting a record called Poontang, released 1952. They printed thousands of copies of this label which were then applied to empty cans. I don't know what people were supposed to do with these empty cans, leave them lying about and hope people at random pick them up and somehow guess there's a record with the same name available that they could purchase? Seems an inefficient promotional strategy, but worth doing anyway it cuz its funnier than more conventional promotions, and a bit subversive. Like something from an oldschool novelty store.

Theres much more info on The Treniers on this page which provides another photo. (EDIT: and now I notice its actually a different design, so they did this more than once!)

and here's the label for the record from discogs , on the Okeh label

and since now you're curious, you can hear the record on youtube.

anyway the thing of interest to us:

Who in heaven's name is this Miss Pussy Galore that already existed in 1952?!!? I don't hear her name in the lyrics, just written on that promotional phony product label. Is there a chance Ian Fleming could have stumbled across one of these phony cans in 1952 and thought "now there's a good name for a character in one of my books, were I ever to write a series of spy novels?" He does tell us in interviews he was always looking for interesting names on his travels and jotting them down in his notebook for possible future use. and Fleming does introduce her specifically as Miss Pussy Galore.

Maybe the term was just generic slang? It's one for Victoria Coren-Mitchell, she used to do a series tracing the origins of certain words or phrases, trying to find the very first time it entered public usage.

Roger Moore 1927-2017

I'm reading a book about the roads on the south-west coast of Norway that are/were easier on the eye than they were to drive. I thought some of you might like the photos so I snapped a few photos in the book with my mobile phone.

Building these roads was even worse than driving on them. Health & safety rules were not what they are today....

The second edition of the book had a seperate chapter on the old road from where I live to the nearest small town. I don't have any photos from that book yet, but here are a photo that seem awfully familiar to me:

So yesterday (14 January) was my 20th anniversary as a member of AJB007. I didn't get posting about it yesterday sadly due to the site outage. I can still remember joining and my first thread (now long gone) posted that day was called "Radio Adaptations". I was enquiring about the Bob Holness and Michael Jayston Bond radio plays.

I was in the last year of my A Levels when I joined and a lot of water has passed under the bridge since but I'm glad to still be an active member here. The AJB Class of 2003 is sadly rather thin on the ground these days. I know I was myself missing in action between 2005-2010 and 2010-2012 but I'm happy to have returned here in 2012 and have more or less stuck around ever since. It's been great to get to know you all and discuss Bond and many other subjects with you over the years. Thanks, as always, to the admin, mods and members for making AJB what it is today and long may AJB endure!

Enjoy your posts, @Silhouette Man and I'm of the same vintage myself, having joined when Die Another Day was about to be released. Not sure how my tenure survived that or the Craig Wars but then fandom often tends to be more about moaning than appreciating as many a footie fan will testify.

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Yes, there is a lot of moaning in Bond fandom but we're a lucky lot really when you think about it. I seem to survive by mostly sticking to the literary Bond subforum here and only occasionally dipping into the Bond film discussions. I remember being bitterly disappointed by Die Another Day when I saw it at the cinema and it's still my least favourite Bond film. As for the Craig Wars, I seem to have missed them, having left in 2005 just before they started. I was supportive of Craig from the get go though and was willing to give him a chance to prove himself, which I think he later did handsomely.

'Handsomely'? You really did miss those Craig threads.

BTW, @Number24 those photos - especially the first one which seems to have an Aston in it though it almost certainly isn't - look like the sort of snaps that might show up after shifting thru the debris of Skyfall. 'We thought we'd hand these artefacts back to you Bond...'

Some are the wrong way up though, what gives?

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    edited January 2023

None are the wrong way up but a couple of the photos are on the side. I took the photos from a book with my mobile phone.

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,930MI6 Agent

thats what happens when you try to drive those roads.

"well I've got a few hours before the paramedics show up, perhaps I can snap a few photos at least while I'm pinned beneath my vehicle"

@Silhouette Man they declared your 20th Anniversary a statutory holiday, thats why the site was down.

I must've joined during one of your mysterious absences, as I stepped in right in the middle of the CraigWars. More posts on literary Bond please!