The return of Doctor Who (SPOILERS)

Comments

• Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    We've been there before, Sylvester McCoy is Scottish, and also the first not to speak with Estuary English...
    unitedkingdom.png
    edited April 2005
    With episodes of such high quality as tonight the Doctor is going to be around for a while, regardless of actor! Who'd have thought that Soft Cell and Britney Spears would be part of the Doctor Who soundtrack, or played at the end of the world on an "iPod" :))

Judging by tonight as well, there's far, far more depth to the characters and it is darker than it was. Such impressive effects too.

"I'm just going to go and talk to Michael Jackson over there" :)) Class!

Those on in the rest of the world interested can see what tonight's episode was all about, here...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/episodes/endoftheworld.shtml
    unitedkingdom.png
  • PredatorPredator Posts: 790Chief of Staff
    So wish that CE would reconsider, but he is stubborn. If anything, tonight's episode was stronger than last week's - a nice philosophical ending too.
  • FelixLeiter ♀FelixLeiter ♀ Staffordshire or a pubPosts: 1,286MI6 Agent
    It was great! Can't wait till next week!
    Relax darling, I'm on top of the situation -{
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    Quoting Moonraker 5:
    With episodes of such high quality as tonight the Doctor is going to be around for a while, regardless of actor! Who'd have thought that Soft Cell and Britney Spears would be part of the Doctor Who soundtrack, or played at the end of the world on an "iPod" :))

Judging by tonight as well, there's far, far more depth to the characters and it is darker than it was. Such impressive effects too.

"I'm just going to go and talk to Michael Jackson over there" :)) Class!

Those on in the rest of the world interested can see what tonight's episode was all about, here...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/episodes/endoftheworld.shtml

I heartily agree, Moonraker 5. I thoroughly enjoyed tonight's episode. I completely forgot about Christopher Eccleston's exit from the series while I was watching it.

There was indeed good humour. Apart from those you already mentioned. Examples, in one scene Rose tells the Doctor how she once saw something about the expanding Sun on Newsround Extra. In another, she calls her Mother by mobile phone from 5 billion years distance in time thanks to the Doctor's device. "I have just spoken to my Mum from 5 billion years in the future." "If you think that's amazing wait till you see the bill."

In contrast to the humour, the Doctor is reduced to tears at the thought of his own planets demise. The tree lady (I can't remember her name)sacrifices herself to help the Doctor in his attempt to stop the space station? from being destroyed.

Yes, the future looks good for Doctor Who, regardless of actor.
    And going back to what Roebuck mentioned earlier, while watching The Quatermass Experiment on BBC4 last night, I couldn't help but see David Tennant as the Doctor...
    unitedkingdom.png
  • i expect u2 diei expect u2 die LondonPosts: 583MI6 Agent
    Quoting Moonraker 5:
    And going back to what Roebuck mentioned earlier, while watching The Quatermass Experiment on BBC4 last night, I couldn't help but see David Tennant as the Doctor...

Rumours are circulating of him in 'serious' talks, but I'm not sure.

Yesterday's episode was better than the last, I thought, the Doctor became much more likable. However, perhaps they tried too hard on the emotional front, making him cry becasue a tree knew who he was. He probably would cry becasue of his past, but the way they zoomed in on the tear and played sad music was... a bit sickly for me. However, the characters were great IMO, and it was a fascinating episode. And I love that music!
    The TARDIS is landing, or about to land, in other parts of the world now that the series is off and running. While CBC in Canada will premier the new series this Tuesday, PrimeTV in New Zealand have now picked up the show and intends to broadcast it in the autumn of this year. BBC Worldwide is also in talks with NBC Universal, who are interested in running it on the Sci-Fi Channel. However, BBC America has also said that it "would like" to air the show. So it looks like it's definitely heading to the US. BBC Worldwide Managing Director Asia Pacific has also said that ABC Australia is "almost certain" to pick up the show.

It might be a long wait, but it'll be worth it!
    unitedkingdom.png
    Alex will be over the moon!
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Quoting FelixLeiter007:
    Alex will be over the moon!

But I won't. We don't have BBC America where I live! C'mon, A & E or Sci-Fi Channel--put up some bucks and compete!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • TyroneTyrone Posts: 4MI6 Agent
    edited April 2005
    Hi All,

Yes, I was really genuinely surprised by the quality of the production on this series ( so far ) and I think that the script is first class. Both Chris Eccleston and Billie Piper seem to get a fairshare of the pithy one-liners! I thought her dialogue towards Cassandra, the last living human, if you could call her that, was superb...

Bizza Piper :

"Cassandra, your just a bitchy trampoline"...

The Doctor was even in a snotty mood...

"What you gonna do, moisturise me?" he asked,
    ..."With acid", Cassandra replied...excellent stuff!!!

I do not like the idea of David Tennant taking over from Chris Eccleston. If he is indeed the replacement Dr Who,it seems that the producers will be making a wrong move, I mean,who wants a foppish looking and acting time lord again? They are on the right track with a "harder" looking Doc, would be a waste if they picked a brideshead revisited reject.

Cheers,

Ty.
    Quoting Tyrone:
    I do not like the idea of David Tennant taking over from Chris Eccleston. If he is indeed the replacement Dr Who,it seems that the producers will be making a wrong move, I mean,who wants a foppish looking and acting time lord again?

I am not in a position to make a proper judgement regarding David Tennant as a possible successor to Christopher Eccleston. I have only seen him in a trailer for Casanova.

I read a short article about him in a newspaper the other day. According to this article Tennant's admitted that he'd secretly love to go on Celebrity Stars In Their Eyes as Jarvis Cocker. Fascinating,......OK I hear you say, but what's that got to do with Doctor Who? Absolutely nothing I say.

However, his first memory is of being thoroughly entranced by Jon Pertwee regenerating into Tom Baker on Doctor Who. Apparently, he still has a mini Dalek on his desk.

He could have a life size Dalek on his desk in the near future?
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,417Chief of Staff
    Well - the second episode did lose viewers - about 2 million of them ! It still trashed it's rival programmes in the ratings, so all was not lost.

I see Rhys Ifans has put himself up for the role of The Doctor - he could do a darn fine job.
    YNWA 97
    Quoting Sir Miles:
    Well - the second episode did lose viewers - about 2 million of them.
    Sort of... The first episode peaked at 10.5m, but average viewing for the whole show was 8.5m...it's basically no real change.
    unitedkingdom.png
    Quoting Moonraker 5:
    The first episode peaked at 10.5m, but average viewing for the whole show was 8.5m...it's basically no real change.

I read the second episode peaked at 7.5m - still 1.5m up on Ant & Dec though.
    YNWA 97
    edited April 2005
    Quoting Sir Miles:
    I read the second episode peaked at 7.5m - still 1.5m up on Ant & Dec though.
    That's not bad at all then, it's a completely relative change from last week, as Ant & Dec scored more as well. Was it as sunny in the rest of Britain as it was up here that night?
    unitedkingdom.png
    Quoting Moonraker 5:
    That's not bad at all then, it's a completely relative change from last week, as Ant & Dec scored more as well. Was it as sunny up here in the rest of Britain that night?

Yes, it was quite warm outside - I missed the programme myself, I taped it though.

Most shows, with that sort of publicity, tend to have great viewing figures for the opening show - especially a show like Dr Who and especially as it was a 16 year wait ! The viewing figures tend to drop off slightly after that and then find a level.
    YNWA 97
    Quoting Sir Miles:
    Most shows, with that sort of publicity, tend to have great viewing figures for the opening show - especially a show like Dr Who and especially as it was a 16 year wait ! The viewing figures tend to drop off slightly after that and then find a level.

Agreed. The opening episode was always going to be an "event" so I was not surprised that the viewing figures peaked at 10.5 million. I believe I read somewhere that the BBC were hoping for somewhere around 5 million viewers per episode. So, although the viewing figures dropped for episode 2, they were still well above 5 million. I wonder if the news of Christopher Eccleston's departure had any real effect on the viewing figures?

The next "event" will be episode 6, Dalek. I would not be surprised if the viewing figures peak around 10 million again.
    edited April 2005
    Here's some news from the BBC that should raise an eyebrow or two.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4410943.stm

BBC admits Dr Who actor blunder

The BBC failed to speak to actor Christopher Eccleston before revealing he was going to quit Doctor Who after the first series, it has admitted.

It was originally claimed the actor feared being typecast if he stayed on.

In a statement, the BBC quoted Eccleston as saying "he hoped viewers continued to enjoy the series."

But the BBC has admitted it did not consult him about that statement and also broke its agreement not to reveal he planned to film just one series.

Head of drama and commissioning Jane Tranter said: "The BBC regrets not speaking to Christopher before it responded to the press questions on Wednesday 30 March."

"The BBC further regrets that it falsely attributed a statement to Christopher and apologises to him."

A BBC spokesman said a mutual agreement was made between the corporation and Eccleston in January that the fact he was not making a second series would not be made public.

But after journalists questioned the press office, the news was confirmed.

A further series of the show has now been commissioned.

The BBC confirmed it was in talks with actor David Tennant, the star of BBC Three drama Casanova, as a possible replacement for Eccleston.
  • TyroneTyrone Posts: 4MI6 Agent
    edited April 2005
    Hi All,

Well, well, well...It seems that Chris Eccleston only planned to do one series of 13 Dr Who episodes anyway and the BBC Producers agreed to this contract despite any "continuity" questions this may raise from the long standing followers of the franchise and interested media. It begs the bloody question, if they knew Chris wanted to only do one series to allow him from being as he calls it "typecast" in the role, why did the bother in the first place?

Chris is great in the role as the Doctor and it is a shame that he could not be persuaded to stay for at another series. Makes you wonder how much effort went in to this by Mr Watson, especially since one of his current new best friends from Casanova, would be availble at a later date and waiting in the wings, hmmm....

Have to say, if the rumours are true, what a scoop it would be, if indeed Rhys Ifans was being lined up and considered for the part. He is certainly eccentric in his own way and could bring a new comedy dynamic to the role with Rose as his erstwhile but sassy sidekick. Dont mind saying that Billie Piper is a surprise package, not bad at all, especially if they give her the lines to work with, she could end up being one of the more memorable assistants so far!

Speak later,

Ty.
  • Bill TannerBill Tanner "Spending the money quickly" iPosts: 261MI6 Agent
    edited April 2005
    Am I alone in disliking Eccleston’s performance as the Doctor? I find his delivery of the lines to be awkward and forced, and have the distinct impression that he feels the material is beneath his dignity as a serious actor. Furthermore he seems to feel the need to act like a complete Ham in the role; his movements have taken on an exaggerated quality as if he's constantly trying to play the ‘cheeky chappie’; and why does he have to walk in such an exaggerated manner? Far from being left with an impression of quirky eccentricity with a dark edge, I feel he gives the impression of mania. This may of course be what some people find attractive about his portrayal; I just find it uncomfortable to watch. I’m not at all surprised that he’s leaving the role so early; I suspect he feels it’s not for him.

Other elements of the new series have also failed to live up to expectation; in general I like the new, longer format, but some of the production design (perhaps inevitably) is looking as cheap as it’s predecessors. I particularly liked the interiors of the Tardis as presented by the Paul McGann TV movie, with its enormous feeling of space and the sense that there were other levels and rooms. I like the new organic quality but the new Tardis seems as cramped as always – are we really to believe that the Doctor eats and sleeps in his control room? I haven’t seen any doors, what about bathroom facilities? The mechanics of time travel as revealed in the second episode were marvellously Heath Robinson, but it also revealed the insubstantial build of the panel, which wobbled and shook with the action. Perhaps this is a nostalgic touch for the older viewers.

The McGann movie had many faults, a plot that seemed to decline too quickly into contemporary American Cop Show clichés at the expense of some of the traditional elements of the character, but it had much to commend it. I particularly enjoyed the first half hour where McCoy metamorphosed in McGann, the callous nature in which McCoy’s death was handled, the hospital scenes with the double heart X-rays and particularly the new interiors of the Tardis. After that it was all-downhill, but I felt McGann was perfectly cast in the role and believed he should have been given another chance.

As to who should replace Eccleston: I rather liked the change from the traditional Edwardian Dandy to a brusque Northerner, why not go further? The choice of a woman in the role has been mooted and that is an obvious idea to try next. Rhys Ifans could be great but is surely too big a star for the role. A fuller figured Doctor in the shape of Robbie Coltrane (or the late Hattie Jaques) might have been a nice idea. And what about a black actor? No one immediately springs to mind, but it’s something I’d like to see.

The new series has given the old Doc some much-needed new vitality; I just hope the fresh ideas keep coming.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent
    Yes, the new Who is funny enough but lacks so far a sense of menace. It's all a bit like Hitchhikers Guide, esp ep 2.
    Too self-referential perhaps, but it does skirt around the incongruities with humour.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Tilly Masterson 007Tilly Masterson 007 UKPosts: 1,473MI6 Agent
    I don't generally like Doctor Who but having watched the recent episodes with Chris and Billie, I enjoyed it.

I read that Chris has quit too, shame as I was starting to get used to him as the doctor.

Is Billie staying?
  • i expect u2 diei expect u2 die LondonPosts: 583MI6 Agent
    It's amazing how the whole 'new' feeling of the film has vanished since word of Chris leaving emerged. Now the thing feels a little pointless.
  • Tilly Masterson 007Tilly Masterson 007 UKPosts: 1,473MI6 Agent
    edited April 2005
    Yeah sure does!

Now it's the question everyone's asking, who will replace him?

Oh great, i'm glad Billie's returning, she was fab as Rose. Thanks for that Frosty.

:)
    edited April 2005
    Quoting i expect u2 die:
    Now the thing feels a little pointless.
    A programme that's regenerated 9 different Doctors being pointless because the most recent one says he's going? I don't think so. He's doing 13 45 minute episodes. Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy didn't have much more air time as their shows were 22 minutes long and spread over 2 years. They weren't pointless, Eccleston won't be pointless, and whoever regenerates as the 10th Doctor won't be pointless.

And I have to agree on the points about Billie Piper, I've gone from being very reticent about her casting when I heard the anouncement, to thinking she's just fantastic as Rose, if not actually *the* highlight so far. Her reaction to the aliens "they're just so...alien", her sudden realisation that she's just hitched a lift with a complete stranger, to her point about no one watching the Earth die "all that history, and no one saw it go", were just brilliant. A refreshing change from companions that suddenly become dab hands at travelling through space and time after one episode!
    unitedkingdom.png
    I have a favourite few lines from each epiosode so far. I'll continue to keep you informed if you like.

episode 1 - "By the way - I'm a doctor - what's your name?"
    "Rose,"
    "Rose - run for your life,"

episode 2 - "Is there anyone in there?"
    "Help! Help!"
    "It's you - what a surprise!"

I think that's what he says, I'm not sure. But I enjoy them anyway! :))
    Quoting FROSTY:
    Well, looks like it's a perfect batting-average so far - 3 great episodes. :D

Yep, I agree.

This weeks episode had a slow(ish) start but built really well to a great end - and Billie Piper just keeps on getting better and better !

My only gripe is that I'd like to see these episodes last 90 mins or so - sometimes they feel just a tad rushed.
    YNWA 97
  • General_OurumovGeneral_Ourumov United KingdomPosts: 861MI6 Agent
    I have to say that I had little interest in the previous series of Dr Who. This latest one has been very good so far, particularly in today's episode. I thought that Billie Piper was actually fantastic, as well as Simon Callow as Charles Dickens. Good stuff, and the next episode looks interesting too.
    edited April 2005
    I would NEVER have thought I'd be raving about how wonderful Billie Piper is as an actress, and it hasn't ceased to amaze me yet. She's still the wide-eyed, can't-quite-believe-it-all teenager, but her philosophical touches are brilliant ("She saved the world. A servant girl. And no one will ever know.") and her chemistry with the other characters is a joy.

Last night's episode was again fantastic, and the versatility of a show that can go from modern day Britain, to the year 5 billion, and back to Victorian Cardiff has to be demonstrated by now.

And hey, we're starting to see the wonkyness of the TARDIS!

Doctor: "Er, I got the flight a bit wrong"
    Rose: "I don't care"
    "It's not 1860, it's 1869"
    "I don't care"
    "And it's not Naples"
    "I don't care"
    "I't Cardiff."
    ".....Riiight....."

My youngest nephew did leave the room at a few points with the scariness factor, the first time being 2 minutes into it when the dead woman strangeled her grandson and kicked her way out the coffin! And her eerie wailing in the streets of Cardiff just before the "spirit lights" emerging from her mouth formed the time vortex of the title sequence was just classic!

However, I notice in the trailer for next week's episode the TARDIS is daubed with graffiti reading "Bad wolf"...curiously the servant girl, when she saw the future in Rose's mind, cut off her link when she yelled "The bad wolf!!" Curious...

Looking forward to it!!
    unitedkingdom.png