The return of Doctor Who (SPOILERS)

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    http://www.gloucestercitizen.co.uk/8203-Peter-Capaldi-best-Doctor-time/story-24482314-detail/story.html
    One paper asks is Peter Capaldi the best Doctor ?
    In my opinion, YES ! :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,669MI6 Agent
    http://www.gloucestercitizen.co.uk/8203-Peter-Capaldi-best-Doctor-time/story-24482314-detail/story.html
    One paper asks is Peter Capaldi the best Doctor ?
    In my opinion, YES ! :))

Already! He must be good! :))
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,510Chief of Staff
    A great ending to a mixed series...and some great performances...
    YNWA 97
    I'll have to do my usual and watch it tomorrow morning. -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Well, I don't like Danny Pink and I like the Cybermen (they fly!), so I came out very well with this episode. And I'll say it: Missy is hot. Oh, and the teaser for the Christmas special. . .if Nick Frost comes, is Simon Pegg far behind?
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • David SchofieldDavid Schofield EnglandPosts: 1,528MI6 Agent
    Total rubbish. WHO didn't even save the day :v

Can't Moffat write? Aren't we allowed to have a heroic Doc anymore?
    Just as a little bit of Trivia, Simon Pegg was in an episode called "The Long Game" with Christopher Eccleston .
    Total rubbish. WHO didn't even save the day :v

Can't Moffat write? Aren't we allowed to have a heroic Doc anymore?

Who' Who ???? :v He's called the Doctor :p

Moffat is a superb writer...he's written most of the best episodes since the series returned...
    YNWA 97
  • David SchofieldDavid Schofield EnglandPosts: 1,528MI6 Agent
    WHO's how pee'd off I was with last night's garbage. ;)

Moffat? "I don't know how to construct a story but if I make the Master into a woman, a SCOTS woman, maybe no one will notice'
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    The worst thing is Moffat crapped all over the memory of Nicholas Courtney and the Brig. I can't believe he made such a cheap shot and turned him into a Cyberman. That really is discraceful, especially after he has had such a poignant farewell in past programmes. Moffat is ruining the series so he can inflate his ego even further. Time for him to go. Sadly it might be too late as far as Capaldi is concerned and everything points to him leaving pretty soon as he has been unhappy with the scripts. The finale was in really poor taste and Doctor Who should never go there.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    Looks like I'm in the minority about Moffat then ! :))
    YNWA 97
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    edited November 2014
    Wel, I was prepared to forgive last weeks nonsensical long winded plot errors and random elements for no reason as part of a bigger story. Then I saw last nights episode.

What utter crap!! Unit entirely wasted, "Missy" being a waste of time and making no sense in context, and the Cybermen reduced to a variation of the Borg from ST Voyager. The people of the world know what they are, yet not one person panics? Although the Lethbridge Stewart's were nice to see, they were shameless padding, and all of the threads, drops whatever they ares from previous episodes a wasted opportunity. The battle plan and its outcomes are too reminiscent of the Battle Of Canary Wharf. Illegally used Gallifreian Technology, an unexpected world takeover, and a sacrifice by one character to save everyone else, reversing what has happened. - No credible reason / motive given for any of it.
    As others have noted, The Doctor himself does not take the decisive action (three times!) Clara sacrafices someone she loves, The Brig it's implied kills Missy, and Cyber Danny saves everyone else. By far the worst part though, is in the final scene the Doctor either doesn't get the truth, or worse refuses to. So Clara has no choice but to say Thank You and goodnight. In fact that final shot is very reminiscent of when Teagan left the series. - for those who have no seen it, Teagan tells the Doctor (Peter Davison) she can't take any more bloodshed. She walks away. As the Tardis starts to dematerialise, she walks back round the corner to watch, quietly saying, "Don't forget me." All the more sad because we all did for a while!

I have enjoyed this series, the cast have all been brilliant, esp Mr Capaldi and Ms Coleman as the Doctor and Clara. But the scripting and plot line this finallie is far less than it should have been.

One point for the Thunderbirds / Capt Scarlet reference.
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    The last Time that I watched Dr Who was during Tenants first Series, got bored of it after that.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent
    Couldn't disagree more with some of the comments, I actually really enjoyed the 2 part finale. My problem had been the inconsistency of the series as a whole, with uneven writing and characterisation, but these last 2 episodes were good IMHO.

I thought the Brig stuff was well done and I didn't have a problem with the Doctor not being instrumental in resolving the drama.

Ok, the bit where the innocent kid came back through the portal seemed convenient and tacked on (I thought that Danny Pink was going to "burn" and then suddenly he had a way back?). I did though like the fact that the Doctor and Clara were both keeping things from each other at the end.

Other highlights, I also really enjoyed Michelle Gomez portrayal of Missy and the Doctor's Presidency.

Roll on the Christmas episode, I say!
    Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
    Have to admit, I'm with smithers500 {[] loved it .
    I'm no expert or Historian on Dr Who, only a fan and with this
    Series, I'm an avid fan again. -{ Back to not missing a show.
    For me there's no problem in the Cybermen having an upgrade. ;)
    and Missy was utterly fantastic {[] ( must have been great fun to play
    A character so evil and crazy ) roll on the Christmas special. {[]
    I thought Danny's make up as a Cyberman was fantastic -{ also
    With it being the Remembrance weekend, I thought it very poignant
    That a Soldier is shown giving up his life to save others ?
    ( or would I be reading too much into it )
    As for the masters return, well he's had more come backs than Frank
    Sinatra. You just can't keep a good villain down. Moffat also pointed
    Out in the Dr Who extra programme that Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart
    Is so old school British, he'd never succumb to any Cybermen mind
    Control. :))
    Most of the series had the Dr making fun of the Military, yet in the end
    He realises that there is an important place for them and that in many
    Ways he a soldier too.

On the extra behind the scenes show, the studio gimbal used to move
    The air plane set around was the same one used for TLD. :D
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MsxEenCBRG0
    The world exclusive preview of the Doctor Who Christmas Special
    From This years Children in need event. -{
  • PendragonPendragon ColoradoPosts: 2,640MI6 Agent
    10451022_10202953330768939_2719516759258742563_n.jpg?oh=17249e680cdb7f7d9c99b6c95d42ad58&oe=55126869

just gonna...leave this here. and yes. that Staff is mine. Limited Edition made by Weta Workshop itself.

they gave me a nickname: The Confused Doctor

that being said. I've truly been enjoying Capaldi, but wish Moffat would let him be his own Doctor more often instead of an older Matt Smith.
    Hey! Observer! You trying to get yourself Killed?

mountainburdphotography.wordpress.com
    Great photo. -{
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Very nice -{
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    I'm secretly putting together a Peter Capaldi outfit ;) bit by bit
    I'm wondering how soon anyone will notice. :))
  • PendragonPendragon ColoradoPosts: 2,640MI6 Agent
    McGann and C. Baker are coming to my con this year. I've been having a marvelous time watching classic Doctor Who lately.

But I still miss my Ninth Doctor :#
    Hey! Observer! You trying to get yourself Killed?

mountainburdphotography.wordpress.com
    I have to admit, Peter Capaldi has reinvigorated me as who fan {[]
    Can't miss an episode now ! :)
    Some great episodes there but I can't believe that Blink isn't amongst them...
    YNWA 97
    Great show, and a really creepy "villain" . it's always great
    When you can turn an everyday object, like a statue in to
    A monster. -{