Last film seen...

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 19,982MI6 Agent
    Lady Bird (2017)

It's almost unbelievable that this is Greta Gerwig's first directed movie, and to top it all off she also wrote it. The story is about a teenage ( Saoirse Ronan) and many of the challenges of that age, particularely her relationship to her mother. The movie shows Lady Bird as a complex and interesting person, and not the usual movie teen girl (sex object, mobile phone-obsessed, rude and shallow etc)
    The story isn't very dramatic, it's mostly about …. life. But it's told so well here that it's very much worth watching.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 9,716MI6 Agent
    Cast a Dark Shadow

In this 50s film, Dirk Bogarde seizes the chance to brush off his matinee idol image to play a nasty gold-digger with a taste for marrying and murdering old(er) ladies.

Margaret Lockwood is unrecognsiable from her days in The Lady Vanishes and The Wicked Lady - I suppose the latter film not dissimilar to what we see here, someone on the make. Though Lockwood is now older, many a bloke would have settled for a bunk up with her anyhow.
    The film is in the same area as Brighton Rock, and seems to be set there too, but it is preposterous, knowing black humour and you wonder that the cast can keep a straight face.

If you catch this on Talking Pictures TV in the UK, it's worth a look as they've redone the print so it looks pristine.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    I've just watched 22 July, it's a dramatisation on the tragic events in Oslo and Utoya Island when Anders Brievik commited his terrible murders.
    It's on Netflix now and is very well done. Some fine performances and although it can't give every story it follows the plight of one family and Brievik himself, really quite compelling.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    I haven't seen that movie yet. There is also a Norwegian movie titled "Utøya 22. juli" that follow the kids on the island in one take and our Public Broadcaster is making a miniseries. In think it's important these stories are being shown, but I haven't seen any of them yet.
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    I haven't seen that movie yet. There is also a Norwegian movie titled "Utøya 22. juli" that follow the kids on the island in one take and our Public Broadcaster is making a miniseries. In think it's important these stories are being shown, but I haven't seen any of them yet.
    It's definitely worth a watch, purely for the young actor who plays Viljar Hannsen if nothing else, I noted that the actor who plays Brievik bares little resemblance, done on purpose I think.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • GymkataGymkata Minnesota, USAPosts: 4,148MI6 Agent
    SALT (2010) with Angelina Jolie, Liev Schrieber, and Chiwetel Ejiofor

It's...ok, I guess? I don't regret watching it but it's not something I'd ever want to watch again or go out of my way to recommend. The action sequences aren't bad but they aren't great, the plot is preposterous but watchably so, and it's competently acted by everyone. That's about all of the enthusiasm that I can muster for it: it's aggressively ok.

Plot: Jolie is Evelyn Salt, a CIA agent. A Russian defector comes in and mentions that the Russian president is going to be killed by a mole in the CIA. He names Salt as that mole. Salt escapes from the CIA headquarters setting off an 'is she the mole or isn't she' kinda caper with the requisite action and nonsense that you'd expect. I won't spoil what happens but it's not as clever as it thinks it is.

Save your time; watch a Bond movie or the most recent MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE movie to see this kind of thing done right.
    Current rankings (updated 12/21)
    OHMSS>FRWL>CR>TSWLM>NTTD>MR>SF>FYEO>GE>DN>YOLT>OP>
    TND>TWINE>QOS>TB>TMWTGG>GF>LALD>TLD>AVTAK>SP>DAF>LTK>DAD
    Bond rankings: Lazenby>Moore>Connery>Craig>Brosnan>Dalton
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,172MI6 Agent
    Gymkata wrote:
    A STAR IS BORN (2018)

This is pretty excellent across the board. Great acting from everyone, including the supporting roles, and very solid direction from Bradley Cooper. The songs are all strong and they're performed with appropriate skill and finesse. This thing is gonna clean house at the Academy Awards next year, with Lady Gaga a lock for Best Actress and Sam Elliot a lock for Best Supporting Actor.

Recommended.
    I'll second this recommendation. I was warned that the film was too long and predictable, but it went quickly for me. The major performances are outstanding. Bradley Cooper is very credible as a boozy rock star, and does his own singing as well. I haven't seen Sam Elliott do work this compelling in years -- he's fantastic. And Lady Gaga is, well, a rare talent indeed, whatever one may think of her art.

There was one plot element that bothered me (below), but otherwise this was a very good film.
    The one-on-one talk between Ally's manager and Jack near the end seemed like cheating on the part of the storytellers. First, it was a heavy-handed way to completely "villain-ize" the manager, who had already been established as something of a villain beforehand. Second, and more importantly, the conversation seemed to awaken Jack to ideas that he surely would have aware of already. It's as if the filmmakers needed a justification for Jack's final act, but they couldn't quite figure out how to build it up through the story, so they inserted a quick fix. It didn't ring true.
    Hilly...you old devil!
    I'm looking forward to the movie "The catcher was a spy". It's based on the true story of Moe Berg, a major league baseball player and OSS agent during WWII.
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=the+catcher+was+a+spy+&&view=detail&mid=2701AA58E4BBEE8B60B02701AA58E4BBEE8B60B0&&FORM=VRDGAR
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,258Quartermasters
    I saw 'First Man' during the weekend.

I've been a bit of an Apollo nerd almost as long as I've been a Bond nerd. I really enjoyed the film, very good performances and great attention to detail. I loved the soundtrack as well. If I could change anything it would just be to make the film longer and allow more time to show more of the Apollo 11 mission.
  • DrydenDryden UKPosts: 131MI6 Agent
    Hunter Killer

Well it's never going to win any awards or please the critics but I enjoyed it - the submarine sequences were well done but the SEAL team bits grated a little.
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,394MI6 Agent
    edited November 2018
    Going Berserk

It's like the Manchurian Candidate, but with John Candy in the Sinatra role!
    written an directed by David Steinberg, who had collaborated with most of the SCTV people on his own teevee show before there was an SCTV.
    Also stars Joe Flaherty, who plays it pretty lowkey, and Eugene Levy, in full sleazoid mode, much like his tabloid publisher character from SCTV.

…but funniest supporting actor is actually Ernie Hudson, who would one year later gain fame as the fourth Ghostbuster. Candy is arrested and handcuffed to Hudson, who makes a break for it, and literally drags Candy to his old lady's pad to fight and then get it on, all before thinking to remove the handcuffs. A very elaborate bit of physical comedy with Candy's style juxtaposed with the typical blaxploitation scene.
    (look: someone has uploaded this whole scene!)
    Also Flaherty at one point imitates Candy's signature style: "say has anybody seen my friend? kinda big, and gosh he's goodnatured and likable, with a laugh like this: (insert unflattering Flaherty style mockery of Candy's laugh)"

As Levy's character is a filmmaker, there a couple of self-contained film-within-film inserts that could be SCTV outtakes. Within one, Candy reprises his Leave It to Beaver parody!

checking the dates, I see this was made at the same time their buddies Dave Thomas and Rick Moranis made Strange Brew, yet this one I never heard of. Its actually much funnier than the other hosers' movie.
    Loving Vincent (2017)

Some movies are called "unique", but very few are. "Loving Vincent" is about the son of a postman who tries to deliver the last letter the painter Vincent van Gogh wrote before his death. This mission gives him insight into the life and death of van Gogh. This is the first and only oil painted movie ever made. Actors such as Douglas Booth, Aidan Turner and Saoirse Ronan played the roles in a green screen studio. Then each of the film's 65,000 frames is an oil painting on canvas, using the same technique as Van Gogh, created by a team of 100 painters. This makes the movie a feast for the eyes. Many of the scenes are based on van Gogh's paintings. This movie is truely unique because every single frame was hand-painted in the style of Vincent van Gogh, but also because it gives a touching insigth into his life. Please take the time to watch the trailer in the link below:

Trailer:
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=loving+vincent+trailer&&view=detail&mid=9C6FFED81071D118A34B9C6FFED81071D118A34B&&FORM=VRDGAR
    BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY

An OK biopic with the standard tropes to it that is redeemed (and borderline made great) by three things:
    1. Rami Malek as Freddie Mercury. Believe the hype, he's that good in this. Even when the script lets him down, he's absolutely magnetic and doing a magnificent job of channeling Freddie without going over the top. He's definitely an awards contender.
    2. The Music. If you're a fan of Queen's music, especially the heavier stuff, you're in for a treat. The film rocks hard from beginning to end, and it's all killer.
    3. The 'Live Aid' concert. The film presents a long sequence here, doing an abbreviated version of the actual setlist. The actual setlist was 'Bohemian Rhapsody' (the beginning), 'Radio Gaga', 'Hammer to Fall', 'Crazy Little Thing Called Love', 'We Will Rock You' (the beginning), and 'We Are the Champions'. In the film itself, you get 'Bohemian Rhapsody' as it was done at 'Live Aid', abbreviated versions of 'Radio Gaga' and 'Hammer to Fall', and 'We Are the Champions'. It's fantastic, and great attention to detail was placed on getting this sequence right (heck, even the Pepsi and beer cups on top of Freddie's piano are accurate to the actual event). The film is honestly worth seeing for this sequence alone.

Also worth noting: the actors playing the other band members are 100% convincing in terms of 'playing' their instruments. When they're recording or playing 'live', you believe that they're playing live. The actors also acquit themselves well in general.

But the film does have issues, especially if you know the actual history of the band. There are some mild spoilers below:
    1. Song chronology. This is way off. The film shows them touring to 'Fat Bottomed Girls' in their early years, when they didn't even record it until their JAZZ album. Similarly, it shows them recording 'We Will Rock You' in 1980 when they actually did it in 1977 for NEWS OF THE WORLD. The Rio concert (where the audience sang 'Love of my Life') was in 1981, whereas the movie places it earlier.
    There are other instances in there as well, but those one stuck out to me the most.
    2. Sanitation. Having Brian May and Roger Taylor involved was both a good and a bad thing for this. The good? Well, the movie got all of the rights to the music pretty easily. The bad? What we get is highly sanitized in terms of story. This really should have been a Rated R movie in order to really show the hard partying life that Freddie enjoyed. Instead, we get hints at what happened (especially as he started exploring his sexuality) that don't really go far enough.
    3. Exclusions. There's nothing in there about their first two managers, both of whom absolutely screwed the band out of money. They don't go into the revolving door of bassists that they had before finally finding John Deacon. Some major hit songs are excluded for unknown reasons ('Crazy Little Thing Called Love' and 'Somebody to Love' aren't in the film). FLASH GORDON, the film and the soundtrack, aren't mentioned at all. I get that you can't include everything in a 2+ hour movie, but these all seem to me to be pretty big exclusions.
    4. Flat out errors. The film is simply wrong about certain events, probably for the purposes of dramatic effect. The movie would lead you to believe that the band was broken up before Live Aid due to Freddie going solo. That's incorrect...Freddie, Brian, and Roger all had some solo stuff going on and the band was on a break at the time, that's it. The movie also would lead you to believe that Freddie told the band that he had AIDS right before Live Aid. In actuality, he told the band in 1987 while they were prepping for the recording sessions for THE MIRACLE. The movie would also lead you to believe that the songwriting credits would be attributed to the entire band right before Live Aid...again, that decision and implementation didn't happen until THE MIRACLE came out (The A KIND OF MAGIC album, which came out in 1986, still had songs attributed to the individuals). There are more, but you get the idea.
    5. Mike Myers in a cameo. He's terrible here and sticks out like a sore thumb.

If you're a fan of Queen but don't really care about veracity, you'll probably love this. If you know any of the truth, you'll be frustrated with the liberties taken but you'll probably still enjoy the film.
    That's an interesting review. I suppose it could have mentioned that Geldof couldn't persuade Queen to do Live Aid cos Freddie Mercury couldn't give a damn about the cause, so he instead sold it to them on the basis that this was going to be the biggest rock show on earth so how could Queen, and the great showman not be involved? Then, as if to sum up what rock n roll is about, Queen is the band that steals the show. And gets a new hit song out of it, One Vision, of which none of the profits went to charity. :D

Queen is one of those odd bands, like Abba, in that the journos really didn't like them and they didn't make great copy, but audiences did. Backstage footage seems to show them to be a bit boring, if you've been spoilt by the likes of the Beatles, Stones and the Who's personalities, but then again, if you're looking to do a musical based on the songs, then it seems you're better off with Abba and Queen. With the other bands, you miss seeing the band members perform the songs. Which might make an argument that Abba and Queen are better in some ways musically.

I guess they had to decide whether to go with the debauched side of Freddie's life or not because once you factor that in, it becomes all about that I guess.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Follow up on the exclusions that I mentioned above: It sounds like there are deleted scenes featuring the following:
    - Finding John Deacon. The actor has said that scenes were filmed where the band discovers him and auditions him.
    - Recording 'Crazy Little Thing Called Love'. Rami Malek has said that this was filmed but cut for time.
    - 'Crazy Little Thing Called Love' and 'We Will Rock You' from the Live Aid show. Reports are that they filmed the entire set and merely cut it down for pacing as the movie was over two hours long already. Unfortunately, both places where 'Crazy' were present were cut.

There's other stuff that was cut as well, mainly for pacing. Considering the film's success, I think we can be assured of either a longer cut of the film on blu ray OR a large selection of deleted scenes.

Also, I may be wrong about 'Somebody to Love' not being in the movie. I don't remember it but it's on the soundtrack (and so is 'Crazy').

I may go and see this again theatrically. The film has actually grown in my appraisal in the past few days as I've replayed it in my head. The fact that I've been blaring Queen music in my car for the past week has nothing to do with that, of course.
    The Children's Act

Emma Thompson looks fit in this. It adds piquancy to the way her marriage to Stanley Tucci is not working out, and the lack of sex therein.

She plays a judge who arbitrates in family law. One key case is that of Jehovah's Witnesses whose son is not legally old enough to decide whether he should have a blood transfusion, so should the State intervene to enforce it?

This is an interesting film and it grips. It is hard to say quite what it is about however. It's not a courtroom drama. It's not a film about a marriage in crisis either. At some points you're thinking, well, where is this going? That's actually quite a pleasant sensation in a cinema where everything has the air of 'one we made earlier, only this time with CGI'.

Like many such films, it's timeless. You don't get fashions in courts of law, and I suppose the posh rarefied world of upper class England doesn't date much either, it's always the land of Mary Poppins.

Talking of which I don't much care for the Mary Poppins Returns trailer. It makes me uneasy in all the wrong ways. Should have had Emma Thompson take the lead, though of course she's done Nanny McFee.

Fionn Whitehead is the young lad in the movie (Children's Act, not Mary Poppins), oh, he's the lead character in Dunkirk. That's where I saw him. He's very good in it too.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,394MI6 Agent
    edited November 2018
    Gymkata wrote:
    BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY
    amazing that a rock bio-pic should be doing so well at the box office, It really goes to show the longterm impact of Queen's music.
    Queen was the very first band I ever saw live in concert. In high school we used to argue whether what they were doing was truly significant or just enjoyable pop product, like Meat Loaf or Styx. I often heard them compared unfavourably to Led Zep in particular, as if it was assumed Led Zep had already earned some sort of position in the pantheon of greats Queen could never aspire to. Nice to see in the long run they've become much more respectable than Led Zep.
    Gymkata what's your favourite Queen album?
    ...Some major hit songs are excluded for unknown reasons ('Crazy Little Thing Called Love' and 'Somebody to Love' aren't in the film).
    it would be very strange to leave out 'Crazy Little Thing Called Love' since that marks the major turning point in the band's style. They never really did the baroque-prog-glam-novelty thang again after that. I suppose 'Another One Bites the Dust' could represent that change just as well, but those two songs were both huge, and completely different, they ought to spend time on both, just to dwell on that big change in direction. I think their many 80s hits that followed were less significant in and of themselves, everything they did does not deserve equal weight when shaping it all into a story.
    Mike Myers in a cameo. He's terrible here and sticks out like a sore thumb.
    Mike Meyers did them a big favour by lipsynching 'Bohemian Rhapsody' in the first Wayne's World movie, it inspired a revival much like Apocalypse Now did for the Doors. They owe him a favour for that.
    My favorite Queen album? Probably a toss up between QUEEN II and SHEER HEART ATTACK. I'm a fan of their heavier side and those albums are pretty much rock perfection. QUEEN II even dabbles in prog rock a bit. The only album of theirs which I must honestly say I don't like is HOT SPACE, mainly for the fact that they went full on into the dance stuff. Even then, there are several solid cuts on that album, with 'Calling All Girls' being a personal favorite.

Regarding 'Crazy Little Thing Called Love': as I mentioned, it appears that that song was merely cut for time/pacing, both from the Live Aid sequence and from the main film.
    I would probably name the exact same two albums. A Night at the Opera is the more prefect album, in concept and execution, but those two just move me more. Maybe because they still retain a little of the heavy metal roots from their first album, but now with the more ambitious and silly songwriting that would lead to ...Opera?
    specifically: Side Black of Queen II (the all-Mercury side) is possibly the greatest album side ever.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,741MI6 Agent
    Enjoying an Ocean's 11,12 and 13 marathon
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Like a good many, I watched They Shall Not Grow Old, a soundbite documentary about The Great War, its USP being that much of it is colourised, and quite effectively too.

Letters have been written about whether it should have gone with the original quote from the poem, which is 'They Shall Grow Not Old' which has a different implication.

The documentary begins in black and white and goes on that way for a while, it turns out that once the soldiers hit France, it goes into colour and the screen broadens out. This makes the whole thing effective, because it implies that nobody had any idea of what they were letting themselves in for, and those back home could never really absorb it (the film reverts to black and white footage upon their return from the war.)

Some of the colourised faces put me in mind of the Italian charlady who tried her hand at retouching a Renaissance masterpiece, and I'm not sure the recruits would have been so tanned back then (though they were outside in the sun all the time, so maybe.) It is very talky, being made up of the voices of unseen soldiers reminiscing - it doesn't distract by showing their faces or giving their names out as the film runs, but I could have done with some silence from time to time. It also seems to shorten the war a bit, implying that after one really horrific battle the Germans were ready to give in, as if to say, well, you just get through the worst part of it and it's all over.

The personal hygiene issue was pretty horrible and the blokes had awful teeth anyway. It could have done more to explain what happened when the soldiers got leave, it is a common misunderstanding from things like Blackadder Go Forth to think that they were in the trenches all the time, when in fact I think they were there nine days at a time then got sent away to town, then sent back, sort of revolving. I don't know if this allowed them time to get deloused, get the clothing clean, have a decent wash and so on.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    THE MUMMY (1999) and THE MUMMY RETURNS (2001).
    I was in the mood for some Indiana Jones type adventure (and I've kinda watched the IJ films a few too many times), so I threw these in.

THE MUMMY: still one of the best IJ ripoffs that I've seen. Just a lot of fun from beginning to end. It helps that Fraser and Weisz have legitimately great chemistry together, and the overall character dynamics actually work between everyone. The pacing is solid, the action is well done, and the humor works for the most part. Indeed, the film knows that it's ridiculous and embraces that ridiculousness, giving a definite tongue-in-cheek appeal to the madness going on. Lots of fun.

THE MUMMY RETURNS: it's a big step down from the first one, mainly due to the over-abundance of poorly rendered special effects that overwhelm the proceedings. It all becomes a bit 'too much'. Luckily, Fraser and Weisz are still awesome and again, the overall character dynamics still work like a charm.

I didn't bother with the 3rd film. I saw it about a year ago and didn't care for it.

In a perfect world, we never would have had THE MUMMY RETURNS. Instead, we should have had Fraser/Weisz continue to tackle all of the Universal Monsters...pit them against The Wolfman, Frankentstein's Monster, and Dracula. Maybe, for a franchise capper, have all of the monsters gang up and go after Fraser and Weisz for a grand finale. Unfortunately, we got VAN HELSING, a film which I don't hate BUT is still a huge mistake in terms of going too far and too loud with a concept.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,741MI6 Agent
    The Omen 1 & 2, saving 3 for tomorrow night.

I love these feel good comedies ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 33,442Chief of Staff
    :)) :)) :))
    SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER (1977)

I'd seen bits and pieces of it over the years, but I'd never actually watched the thing from beginning to end in one go.

Holy cow is this a good movie. The dancing is of course great and is what the movie is known for, but the overall story arc of Tony Manero is really interesting and compelling in that gritty, dark 70s kind of way that you just don't see anymore. This movie goes to some unexpectedly dark places that I was not anticipating, and his journey through these obstacles is really fascinating and real. The fact that the film ends in the way that it does is kind of a miracle...it's not a happy ending but it's a REAL ending, and you are able to feel that Tony's life is forever changed in a positive way.

Highly recommended.
    Yeah, that's a good movie, a lot more raw than you'd think given the Bee Gees soundtrack, but of course back then the whole glam dressing up vibe was what working class kids with a bit of money did to take themselves out of things, like the Mods in the early 60s and glam rock in the early 80s.

Bombshell

This is a documentary about how the actress Hedy Lemarr was actually pretty smart and in WW2 patented a scientific invention - frequency hopping, which could be used between a ship and a fired torpedo to prevent the signal being intercepted and sabotaged by an enemy vessel.
    The idea is that the radio frequency would keep changing so the enemy couldn't get a handle on it.

The idea was summarily rejected - only after the war it was farmed out to a contractor who did something with it, and it went on to make estimated billions. Lamarr wasn't informed at the time and lost out, besides there is a time limit for claiming on money made from patents, it emerges. She also suffered because her Austrian origins had it filed as unAmerican or something. Her invention is also the technology behind Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.

Lamarr didn't have a great life, she made bad business decisions and choices of husband.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • rebentonrebenton Birmingham ALPosts: 276MI6 Agent
    I would probably name the exact same two albums. A Night at the Opera is the more prefect album, in concept and execution, but those two just move me more. Maybe because they still retain a little of the heavy metal roots from their first album, but now with the more ambitious and silly songwriting that would lead to ...Opera?
    specifically: Side Black of Queen II (the all-Mercury side) is possibly the greatest album side ever.

Glad to see someone agrees with me regarding Freddie’s Queen II side. I grew up listening to Queen’s Greatest Hits album. In high school, I started getting into all their albums and Queen II just blew me away.
    Sahara, or a bit of it.

It's a sort of hybrid Bond/Indiana Jones thing while seeming more entertaining than either of late.

I mention it because parts of it seem a bit like Spectre, in particular the old car in the desert.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    First Blood

Being a precocious teenager, I knew the Bond films were better than this stuff, offering as they did one-liners, a big song by a big name star, action across two or three continents, gals and gadgets.

Well, what did I know?

First Blood is a brilliant, stripped down action film.

You've got to hand it to the actors in the first 10 mins for setting the film up, esp those in the sheriff's office with their low-level, petty vindictive ways.

You have a bike chase and a wrecked police car in the first half hour - that's Bond!

Of course, Never Say Never Again came out around this time. What if Connery's comeback had been like this? Bond alone and embittered, seeing his 00 number usurped by a smirking dandy, he wanders the UK with his napsack, drifting. Then he happens upon a small village, in the Lake District perhaps, or near Snowdonia, and they all go a bit Hot Fuzz on him, cos he's not from round there.
    The sheriff might be played by Fulton Mackay off Porridge. Or Grouty actor Peter Vaughan, esp as they had the same writers as NSNA!
    At some point M could turn up and say: 'Do you boys really know what you've taken on? You remember that Japanase volcano meltdown in 67? Or Crab Key 62? That was him. He's now going to do that to your lovely village... What's more, he has access to some of his old hardware in a lockup near here... he's bound to be back...'
    So the last reel would be Connery eviscerating the town with his Aston Martin DB5, and then Little Nellie, setting off explosions...

Well, maybe not. Actually, the CIA herbert who turns up does spoil things a bit. With his beret and raincoat he looks a bit like sitcom character Frank Spencer. You could imagine Frank standing there, doing his mincing grimace and saying: 'Hm-mm! Your boys seem to be in a bit of trouble there!'

I must say, there aren't many drifters with such lovely henna'd hair as Sly in this film. Bit of a day-night thing going on maybe, which you get with Bond sometimes, by the time he arrives back at the town for the final showdown it's dark, mind you, it is Xmas time so shorter days.

Anyway, this is great stuff, wish I'd seen it at the cinema at the time, mind you, was too young probably.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    FIRST BLOOD is excellent, one of Stallone's better films. He's really excellent in it, displaying quite a lot of range (and rage).

It's really too bad that the sequels turned him into Superman. RAMBO: FIRST BLOOD Part 2 is a fun actioner, but it barely even feels related to the first movie. The less said about RAMBO III, the better. The final movie, RAMBO, is pretty decent and feels a bit more grounded in reality...the action in it is really, really brutal, though.