Last film seen...

1386387388389390392»

Comments

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 4,661MI6 Agent

I haven’t seen any of the Footsoldier films, but Craig Fairbrass is in Mrs CHB’s favourite movie, Cliffhanger, and he’s in a really good London gangster movie called St. George’s Day, which I’m sure your husband has seen.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,097MI6 Agent

Yes. That is the film. There was another one on too with the same Doctor Who, but I did not see that.

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 33,214Chief of Staff

That's called "Dr Who And The Daleks", which I remember seeing in the cinema.

The actor playing Dr Who (note: not "The Doctor") is the late Peter Cushing, famed for his horror movies (mainly for Hammer), playing Sherlock Holmes on film and TV, and for "Star Wars".

• Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,550MI6 Agent

Yes he has.

I forgot Craig Fairbrass was in Cliffhanger. He's still in very good shape. 😜

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 25,591Chief of Staff

Both films have just been the 4k treatment and will be shown at certain cinemas again soon…plus there was a treatment for a third film…

YNWA 97
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 4,661MI6 Agent

JURASSIC WORLD: DOMINION (2022)

So, our first trip to the cinema since covid closed them down here over 2 years ago. This is the third entry of the Jurassic World trilogy, and the 6th in the entire Jurassic franchise. Owen (Chris Pratt) and Claire (Bryce Dallas Howard) are back, and living in the mountains in a cabin with the cloned teenage daughter of Benjamin Lockwood, from the previous film. Maisie is kidnapped and then the search is on for her along with the side plot of genetic research shenanigans. It all gets a bit confusing, but it rattles on at a decent pace and the return of Sam Neill, Laura Dern and Jeff Goldblum from the original “Park” movies is a big plus. As it always seems to be with films nowadays (and my usual bone of contention) it’s a good 15-20 minutes too long, but the several set pieces are exciting and the CGI is mostly good.

I would rank it the least of the 6 movies in the franchise, but that doesn’t mean I didn’t enjoy it, new character Kayla is very good, for example, it’s an entertaining film, which is pretty much all you can ask for.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

Thor and Thor:The Dark World.

Introduced my 82 years old father to MCU.

It went down well though he couldn't work out if Loki is alive or dead ... I said that's what you get when dealing with the God of Mischief . 🤣

We'll do Ragnarok next.

( Bit annoying they aren't stand alone films. I'll assume The Avengers came between Thor and The Dark World which then left a few unexplained bits in Dark World.)

• GymkataGymkata Minnesota, USAPosts: 4,093MI6 Agent

You are correct. Show your dad THE AVENGERS, he'll have a lot of fun with that one. Pretty sure he'll flat out love RAGNAROK.

Current rankings (updated 12/21)
    OHMSS>FRWL>CR>TSWLM>NTTD>MR>SF>FYEO>GE>DN>YOLT>OP>
    TND>TWINE>QOS>TB>TMWTGG>GF>LALD>TLD>AVTAK>SP>DAF>LTK>DAD
    Bond rankings: Lazenby>Moore>Connery>Craig>Brosnan>Dalton
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,388MI6 Agent

I think Infinity War picked up exactly where Ragnarok left off, and then Endgame leaves Thor in a completely different situation. but theres a cast of thousands in those two films, and the culmination of dangling plot-threads from many non-Thor films, probably those two wont make sense without having seen twenty previous movies even if Thor's story continues in them.

has anyone seen the new one yet? do you need to have seen what Thor and Loki did in Infinity War and Endgame to understand this latest Thor movie? or can they be skipped?

edited June 24

if you want the complete Thor arc:

THOR

THE AVENGERS

THOR: THE DARK WORLD

THE AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON

THOR: RAGNAROK

AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR

AVENGERS: ENDGAME

As to the new film (THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER), it picks up right where ENDGAME ended with Thor hanging with the Guardians of the Galaxy and moving forward. There's also follow-up with New Asgard, the Asgardian home that's been established in Norway (as per ENDGAME). Beyond that, I think you're good to go. RAGNAROK kinda stood on its own well enough that you could dive into it without too much preamble apart from some confusion as to why the Hulk is there. I suspect LOVE AND THUNDER will be much the same. For what it's worth, the premiere for it was last night and the word on it is good, albeit with some criticism that it feels very rushed. Seems like the consensus is that RAGNAROK is a tad better and more consistent but LOVE AND THUNDER is a good time and worth seeing theatrically. It's definitely supposed to be very funny.

Edited to add: LOVE AND THUNDER also reportedly picks up on some stuff related to the LOKI show that is on Disney + right now. I'm avoiding spoilers as much as I can so I don't know the degree to which Loki may or may not be involved.

The Philadelphia Experiment (2012)

I'm not sure who to blame for this incoherent mess of a movie, the writer or the director, but that was 90 wasted minutes. It starts well then falls to pieces. I'd read better reports of this film but I think I must have been reading about the earlier version from 1984. Confusingly, they have the same star (Michael Pare) but are distinct films. I'm deterred from watching the earlier film now.

I didn't know that they remade that film!

The original isn't great but it has some interesting ideas in it regarding time travel. I remember it being 'ok', but it's been probably 30+ years since my last viewing. I certainly have no need or desire to revisit it as it's probably much worse than I remember it being.

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 7,841MI6 Agent
    edited June 24

I know I have a paperback book in my vast collection of random titles called The Philadelphia Experiment. I think it had something to do with making a warship disappear but I never got around to reading it. I picked it up as it looked positively Fortean to me. Didn't realise they'd filmed it.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

Thanks.

My own viewing of MCU is all over the place. I didn't see them when they first came out and I recently went straight to Infinity War and Endgame. My daughter was horrified. 'You can't do that!!' 🤣

It didn't matter to me because I knew all he characters and back stories etc etc. I randomly saw Ant Man and that was fun.

I'll do Avengers with Dad so that can fill in a few gaps then go to Ragnorok (which I am looking forward to) then Infinity War and Endgame.

I've heard very mixed things about Age of Ultron. It was actually filmed where I worked. They were there for months. Massive white marquees all over the show but we never saw a thing. No Chris Hemsworth wandering around the grounds in his y fronts. It was Peel Centre, Hendon Police College.

https://mculocationscout.com/2020/08/09/novi-grad-square-sokovia-mcu-location-scout/

Well, there is a warship but it leaps about from place to place. They have to get the correct man on board the ship to make it return to its proper time. Terrible stuff.

THE AVENGERS is, in many ways, a direct sequel to the first THOR film. Loki is the main bad guy in it and the rest of the Avengers are essentially teaming up with Thor to take him down. It's a very fun movie and, for the most part, you can dive into it without too much knowledge of the films that preceded it.

THE AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON is not one of the best Marvel entries. There's some good stuff in there but it bogs down in a lot of places. It's skippable for the most part unless you're wanting to be a Thor completist. All you really need to know is that Hulk disappears at the end of the film in a SHIELD quinjet and nobody knows what happens to him...until RAGNAROK.

THOR: RAGNAROK is where things really take off. Chris Hemsworth and Taika Waititi (the director) decided to reinvent Thor somewhat and bring in more of Hemsworth's comedic sensibilities. The result is one of the single most fun and entertaining films in the entire MCU. it's just a hoot from beginning to end. To that end, if you end up liking this one, watch the first GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY film as well. They're very similar in terms of the fun factor. You'll want to watch it anyways because the Guardians appear in the following Avengers films and are well utilized.

Both AVENGERS: IW and AVENGERS: EG follow up directly on RAGNAROK and continue with Thor in semi-comedic mode. Both are excellent films and are fairly amazing in terms of scale and scope.