Last film seen...

Comments

• Stromberg1Stromberg1 Posts: 32MI6 Agent
    Se7en. Morgan Freeman is great!
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    edited December 2004
    Quoting Alex:
    Saw Alexander. Considering he was one of the greatest military intellects in history, they've shown this by giving us two, (yes that's right, a big ol two) battles. Harumph!! Alexander the not so great, rather watch the mediocre Burton version ..

Oh and Angelina played Farrell's mother. Yes you heard that right.

Obviously Angelina's Olympias gave birth to Farrell's Alexander when she was a year old :o.

But ONLY two battles?Amazing.That's one more than in the Burton film,isn't it?
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Watched "Secondhand Lions" today. I must say it was a pleasing endeavor of storytelling. And Micheal Caine once again manages to nail a subtle accent...Texan. There were moments when he sounded just like my grandpa!
  • LBTVLBTV Posts: 10MI6 Agent
    edited December 2004
    I saw `The Incredibles`, I thought it was quite different to other Pixar films as it wasn't laugh out loud all the way, although I did think it was a very good superhero/action move with some very funny parts. I thought the problem with capes scene, and the scene when Elastigirl gets stuck between the automatic doors were very funny.
  • Max_ZorinMax_Zorin Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    bought the untouchables special edition dvd!!!!

amazing, unbeatable film! if ya aint seen go c it!!!! kostner n connery r gr8!
  • MAHOMAHO Posts: 95MI6 Agent
    edited December 2004
    Quoting LBTV:

I can't believe that got rid of Geoff in season 4, he was one of the funniest characters. I think they should of got rid of Patrick.

I think he wanted to leave himself. He didn't want to get stuck being remembered as Geoff for the rest of gis career.

Though I agree, the lack of Geoff killed series 4.

---
    jfm

"we're almost not even related anymore" -- ginger
    Quoting Tracy:

Watched Lawrence of Arabia for the first time on TCM, and I can definitely see why it's a classic ... Maurice Jarre's sweeping, majestic, but relatively monothematic score is a bit grating after awhile.

I loved the music. The theme is not just a soundtrack, it's part and parcel of Lawrence as a character. The musical theme is like a ghost actor, a second voice. The theme/music follows Lawrence as if it was ciceron. It contributes beautifully to the continuity of the character, as well as the story itself.

In a nutshell, I enjoyed it being monothematic.

---
    jfm

"it's a matter of principle" -- col nicholson
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Fantastic Voyage. As usual, Donald Pleasance steals the show. The scene when his claustrophobia kicks in (after effects of the blitz) is worth a million. And his first bit of dialogue very familiar to YOLT's Blofleld. (made a year after I believe)

Raquel is gorgeous, Stephen Boyd had a calm restrained performance, Edmund O'Brian and the coffee was nice, just wish they traveled to the nose or other parts of the body. :D Think of the possibilities! (just kidding) A Fantastic movie, which deservedly won an award for special effects.
  • TracyTracy the VillagePosts: 369MI6 Agent
    I was rewatching Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade on the SciFi channel, and it was even better than I remembered it to be. I still can't decide whether or not I like the first or the third Indy movie better-I watched them a lot as a kid and still love them.
    Flattery will get you nowhere, but don't stop trying.
  • Tilly Masterson 007Tilly Masterson 007 UKPosts: 1,472MI6 Agent
    I have just finished watching The Thomas Crown Affair (remake).
    Life of Brian.

---
    jfm

"if we didn't have crucifixion this country'd be in a right bloody mess. nail them up, i say. nail some sense into them" -- prisoner on the wall
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,558Chief of Staff
    Caught Lord Of THe Rings: The Return Of The King last night. It's okay, not as good as expected but the SFX are brilliant ! Much prefered The Two Towers.
    YNWA 97
    edited December 2004
    The remake of "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre".

There were some nice plot changes/surprises in there (compared to the original), but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. The original blows big time... er, I mean the opposite of sucks, of course ;-)

---
    jfm

"you damn fool. you've ruined the door!" -- old man
    edited December 2004
    Quoting Sir Miles:
    Caught Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King last night. It's okay, not as good as expected but the SFX are brilliant ! Much prefered The Two Towers.
    I'm still waiting to see how Jackson handles the final novel as I refrained from going to the theater or purchasing the original DVD release. Hopefully, I'll receive this for Christmas. That girl I met so fair will really be in the darkest depths of Mordor if she decides to go with the socks. :v
    Quoting Alex:
    I'm still waiting to see how Jackson handles the final novel as I refrained from going to the theater or purchasing the original DVD release. Hopefully, I'll receive this for Christmas. That girl I met so fair will really be in the darkest depths of Mordor if she decides to go with the socks. :v

Never having read the books, I can't comment on how Jackson rates on that level but, IMHO, he delivers 3 good/great films. I'm more interested in how he's going to handle King Kong - I think he'll get his butt kicked here as the first is a classic in every sense of the word.
    YNWA 97
  • justvisitingjustvisiting Posts: 61MI6 Agent
    I just watched "Jaws" on TCM. It's not a film I would normally see, but since its part of the American culture, its one of those "must see" films. It turned out to be okay, and when it started to get boring, it would suddenly become interesting. How the filmmakers made four films in the series is beyond me, however.

The film reminded me that Robert Shaw died too young, and appeared in too few memorable films. He would be a household name today if he lived longer.
    Quoting Sir Miles:
    I'm more interested in how he's going to handle King Kong - I think he'll get his butt kicked here as the first is a classic in every sense of the word.

I thought Guillermin's sequel to his own remake was pulled off fairly well -- technically speaking. Plot-wise it was pretty awful.

The original still holds, though, even technically. Being a b/w movie helps a lot. The "fake" look is hardly more fake-looking than the cartoon bits in Star Wars. Or DAD, for that matter.

The original King Kong is definitely on my desert island list.

---
    jfm

"i've got the key to the gates of paradise, but i have too many legs!" -- geoff murdock
    "The original King Kong, a classic in every sense of the word." Nice phrasing Sir Miles.

Saw George Pal's brilliantly made Conquest Of Space this weekend. The creator of War Of The Worlds and The Time Machine, to name just a few in his superb library, creates another excellent film with innovative special effects and superior story dealing with the weakness of man. I read this was one of the movies Kubrick viewed prior to making his own 2001. There are similiar plot lines used. We might have gained better effects today but in doing so we lost something else, creative story telling with believable acting. If I had a choice between any of Pal's movies such as this one or When World's Collide for example in contrast to The Matrix's mumbo jumbo martial arts or Star Wars' half baked jedi philosophies, I'd take these pioneering works anyday, anytime.

Kirk out.
    Watched Planet Of The Apes - original 1968 Charlton Heston version - why do people try to re-make these great films ? As Alex pointed out, the effects get better, the acting and storytelling doesn't.
    YNWA 97
  • justvisitingjustvisiting Posts: 61MI6 Agent
    Quoting Alex:

Raquel is gorgeous.

Amen! It's too bad she couldn't have been a Bond girl. I know most people like Claudine Auger, but I would have rather have seen Raquel. Va Va Va Voom!!!
  • ohmss1969ohmss1969 EuropePosts: 141MI6 Agent
    MPs Meaning of Life = LMAO :lol:

The Phantom movie was god awful , it could've been sooo much better :(
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,274MI6 Agent
    Dead Man's Shoes.

A grim, low-budget thriller by Shane Meadows. It's got a Get Carter theme, about a soldier in khakis returning to some smalltown in the Midlands or some awful place, to take revenge for an assault by some pond scum, on his younger, simple teenage brother.

It's fun, I suppose, to watch a guy picking off a group who all deserve it, like Get Carter or First Blood. Yet as the actor Paddy Considine is not Mr Charisma, it makes the dodgy morals of it more obvious.

Meadows doesn't quite set his boundaries though. There are some incongruities. Still, it's never less than absorbing, it just doesn't quite deliver the pay-off.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • LBTVLBTV Posts: 10MI6 Agent
    Blade Trinity,

and it was bad!!
  • TracyTracy the VillagePosts: 369MI6 Agent
    I finally saw the remake of The Manchurian Candidate, and I can honestly say that it's probably one of the best film remakes I've ever seen. Certainly there are homages to the original, but the basic storyline has been altered for modern audiences without being totally corrupted from the original. While I found the original to be a bit predictable, I honestly was only able to figure out just parts of the more recent version's ending. There are lots of subtle satire bits (CNW news and Big-Mart are featured on the newscasts in the ticker tape; it's absolutely hilarious!). The character originally played by the late, great Janet Leigh has a much more interesting role in the remake. Definitely worth watching.
    Flattery will get you nowhere, but don't stop trying.
    Meet the Fockers. It was better than the original, and you don't see that often.
  • yodboy007yodboy007 McMinn CountyPosts: 129MI6 Agent
    edited December 2004
    Quoting Stromberg1:
    Meet the Fockers. It was better than the original, and you don't see that often.
    Sure you do. Ever heard of Terminator 2: Judgement Day?

I also saw Meet The Fockers and it lived up to expectations! 2nd funniest movie of the year.
    Yes, Teminator 2 was better than the original, and just like I said you don't hear it often. That is only one instance that you named.
  • jbfreakjbfreak Posts: 144MI6 Agent
    Quoting Stromberg1:
    Yes, Teminator 2 was better than the original, and just like I said you don't hear it often. That is only one instance that you named.
    I thought Bad Boys 2 was so much better than the original, but I agree that you don't see that very often.
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    Went and saw the movie version of The Phantom Of The Opera. Not the best movie I've seen, but it did keep my interest.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • yodboy007yodboy007 McMinn CountyPosts: 129MI6 Agent
    Quoting Stromberg1:
    Another example of that in my opinion is The Matrix Reloaded, but I know that you beg to differ.